Insurance

mrharte

Was just wondering, with tons of different insurance companies for RV's out there what are the best one's you've come across for the price?

Last edited by a moderator:

pegmikef

Was just wondering, with tons of different insurance companies for RV's out there what are the best one's you've come across for the price?

I don't know about cost, but I just have it as a rider on my Farmers Auto Policy. I have all my insurance with Farmers and they have always been prompt and fair in settling my claims (two big ones were a new roof on my north trail, and replacement of pickup bed because some dummy opened the hitch, disconnected the cables and drove off without lowering the landing gear).

I know the cost is competitive with other insurers in our area, but it is kind of relative and based on area and individual characteristics (e.g., high risk area like hail, credit rating, multiple policies, record, discounts such as military, etc.). My advice is just shop around. I have had the same agent for 20 plus years, so he takes care of my needs at the best prices and products he can get.

Last edited:

mrharte

Thanks for reply PegMikeF,

I am retired military as well and my insurance is with usaa, they don't have RV coverage but they apparently have a deal with progressive, however I think the quote was high, so your right, just shopping around now.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have Progressive...

Just switched to them a few months back and haven't made a claim, so can't comment on that.

MTPockets

Shop..... your current auto carrier may be good or not. I’ve learned over the years to shop and ask lots of questions. Also, you need different coverage if you are full time.

2PawsRiver

Thanks for reply PegMikeF,

I am retired military as well and my insurance is with usaa, they don't have RV coverage but they apparently have a deal with progressive, however I think the quote was high, so your right, just shopping around now.

Got a quote from progressive, then checked Geico......Geico was much higher. Then checked with USAA, they beat Geico on my car insurance, had the same rate as Progressive on the RV insurance and Motorcycle Insurance. Got a good 6 month quote, paid it. I called back a bit later and found out they quote their RV Insurance through Progressive. When I asked about it they said they have an agreement with Progressive and get a better price through progressive...………………….except it was they same price they quoted me before I went through USAA.

I went ahead with it because they were much cheaper on the car insurance, but it really felt like the RV insurance and motorcycle insurance was a sham.

Diamondjim

Have Progressive on my car & TV, and 5th wheel.......Progressive just bought out ASI which has insured our home here in Florida for 18 years, got a better deal on it now that Progressive owns it.
Just put in a claim with Progressive in April for hail damage to our awning on our 2011 rig......adjuster took a look (I knew the roll-up cover was taking a beating in our SUN! He got on the roof, made a "judgment call" and we got a new awning! Can't beat that with a stick. A friend helped me install it, earned back my $250. deductible.
You don't get if you don't ask. So I'm a happy camper!:cool:

travlingman

One thing to consider is if the insurance pays actual cash value or does it pay replacement cost? There is a big difference in the two.

pegmikef

One thing to consider is if the insurance pays actual cash value or does it pay replacement cost? There is a big difference in the two.

Ditto. All my insurance is replacement value and it costs more, but it sure pays for itself in the end. A very recent example is I have to have the roof replaced on my house due to a hail storm several years ago. The roof is 17 years old and the depreciation is about 9,000 dollars. If I just had actual cash value the insurance company would reimburse me the total cost to replace the roof after subtracting the depreciation and the policy deductible. Since I have replacement cost, as soon as the roof is physically replaced, the insurance company will pay me the depreciation amount (they withhold it to make sure that the roof is actually replaced).

carl.swoyer

I've had progressive for over 11 years. I have the premium policy.
My 07 was totaled and they paid me exactly what I paid for it new.

I wanted to add that my premium policy will pay me $73,000.00 dollars in the event of a total loss. No depreciation!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Another option with your insurance is “Declared Value.” With replacement cost valuation, as I understand it, your premium will go up each year due to the increase in how much the insurance will have to pay out (increase in value of property insured.). With Declared Value, I set mine at what I paid for the rig, the rates remain the same because the value of the property doesn’t increase, but you are not caught by the depreciation aspect of general policies. So, cost for Declared Value is more than standard policy but less than Replacement Cost policy. YMMV

carl.swoyer

Another option with your insurance is “Declared Value.” With replacement cost valuation, as I understand it, your premium will go up each year due to the increase in how much the insurance will have to pay out (increase in value of property insured.). With Declared Value, I set mine at what I paid for the rig, the rates remain the same because the value of the property doesn’t increase, but you are not caught by the depreciation aspect of general policies. So, cost for Declared Value is more than standard policy but less than Replacement Cost policy. YMMV
At the time of my loss I had replacement. That was 100% of my purchase price for the first five years. My loss occurred at 4 years 8 months. After five years it would have been prorated.
That being said I might check into declared value. As far as my premium, progressive kept it the same.
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mhitesman

I don't know about cost, but I just have it as a rider on my Farmers Auto Policy. I have all my insurance with Farmers and they have always been prompt and fair in settling my claims (two big ones were a new roof on my north trail, and replacement of pickup bed because some dummy opened the hitch, disconnected the cables and drove off without lowering the landing gear).

I know the cost is competitive with other insurers in our area, but it is kind of relative and based on area and individual characteristics (e.g., high risk area like hail, credit rating, multiple policies, record, discounts such as military, etc.). My advice is just shop around. I have had the same agent for 20 plus years, so he takes care of my needs at the best prices and products he can get.

I know this thread is older, but I am hoping someone will read and respond! I have insured my North Trail TT with a Farmers Insurance rider for 5 years. Recently, a friend bought a new TT, as Farmer's, so I told him to check out an endorsement on his truck policy. His agent told him the TT would only be covered while it is CONNECTED TO THE TRUCK. No coverage AT ALL unless it is physically tethered to the truck.

So, of course, I called my agent. He told me that this is true and has changed in the last couple months. No notices were sent out, no policy changes noted (my renewal was 9/27/2018), no premium aIdjustments other than the usual 15% price increase. No phone calls, you get the drift. I told him I was extremely concerned I had not been notified, and he told me he's really busy as he has 1000 customers and cannot be expected to notify everyone. Of course, I have now read my policies (autos, home, umbrella) in detail and I believe the coverage is as it always was -- the TT is as an endorsement on my truck policy with the same deductibles. No mention in any policy document about must have it connected to the tow vehicle! My agent also told me that Farmer's has also removed homeowners protection for the TT when it is stored in my outbuilding. I didn't see any provision that it ever was covered under homeowners, but I expect my TT endorsement to cover it when it is stored in my outbuilding, right? Nothing says it isn't! He also told me my ATV is no longer protected for liability or comprehensive on my residence property either (homeowners), and I found evidence stating it IS covered under my homeowners policy. Anyone have any personal experience about this matter? Thanks!

danemayer

Liability coverage goes with the tow vehicle, while towing.

Typically, collision and comprehensive coverages on the trailer would require a separate premium for the RV with specific coverages and deductibles.

lynndiwagoner

I've had National General (Good Sam) coverage since I purchased my rig. I pay for full replacement. I've tried to beat their rates but have not been successful. One good thing about the Good Sam coverage is that you can put it in limbo with a phone call and get a refund on the number of months you're not using it. I know a lot of you don't like Good Sam, but their insurance seems pretty good price wise.

NYSUPstater

We've had Progressive for the RV since we started back in '05. It's separate from our auto (Erie). Cheaper and better coverage. If you store it someplace for the winter, you need to have coverage on it.

Mhitesman

Liability coverage goes with the tow vehicle, while towing.

Typically, collision and comprehensive coverages on the trailer would require a separate premium for the RV with specific coverages and deductibles.

Yes. I understand. I purchased a rider on my tow vehicle to cover the RV for comprehensive and collision in 2013 when I bought the trailer. Agent told me it was fully covered just like the vehicle. When I spoke to my agent a few days ago, I was told that my rider only covered my RV when it is physically attached to my tow vehicle. My rider is $140/year to insure (when attached only apparently) my $12000 2013 Heartland 22FBS for comprehensive and collision. Liability is covered by the auto insurance by law and not part of the $140 premium. This is a major departure from what the agent told me when I bought the coverage, and he told me it changed to be the reduced coverage (only when connected to tow vehicle) just a few months ago. There was no notice from the insurance company, no change to my endorsement and no premium change (other than going up the usual amount). The agent told me it is a change in "interpretation". I am wondering if anyone else has their RV insured with a rider on their tow vehicle and what their experience has been lately???

Today, he sent me a quote for a standalone RV policy that would cover my trailer when it is NOT connected to the truck: $354/year. Seems pricey for a 5 year old trailer that I only paid $17K for brand new for just comprehensive and collision.

- - - Updated - - -

We've had Progressive for the RV since we started back in '05. It's separate from our auto (Erie). Cheaper and better coverage. If you store it someplace for the winter, you need to have coverage on it.

Yes. I think I am forced to get a separate policy now. I am concerned what other "interpretations" have changed resulting in coverage reductions. How can they just do this? There is no mention in my policy or endorsement that it (now) is covered only when connected to the tow vehicle.

NYSUPstater

Something else to consider. Our friends own a snowmobile dealership and a couple years ago, very, very strong winds came thru and flipped a couple sled trailers over. As a result, the trailers were damaged and covered by dealers ins, but if the wind didn't do any damage at all the trailers ARE NOT covered!!!!! I said "WHAT?". I just assumed trailers were. Spoke w/ ins agent and sure enough ours was not. WHOA NELLY! So immediately had it put on (50 bucks/year) as we just bought a $10,000 trailer year before. Now have peace of mind.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I recently switched to Progressive for my truck, trailer and park model home in an Arizona RV resort.

I have a separate policy through Progressive for each and the 5'ver has liability and damage replacement coverage for a set amount.