Water overflow from red lines under 5th wheel

I own a 2016 Heartland Big Horn Traveler 39MB and suddenly water is pouring out of a red overflow line on the underside of the RV. There is a line on both sides of the RV, one near the main drain compartment and one located to the left of the stairs. When I have the main city water turned on, both of these begin to drain water. There are no leaks inside the RV, and when I run off my Water Pump from my fresh tank, there is no draining. Only when I tuen the main water on to the RV from the city line do these overflows pour water out.

Does anyone know what these lines are running to and what may be causing the issue? I am assuming a blockage or something but an not sure how to diagnose the cause.

I am attaching a photo of the drain line on the tank side of the RV.

Thanks for helping!!

Red Drain Line.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Those are indeed overflow lines from your fresh water tank.
If your rig is equipped with an Anderson valve in the UDC it may be in need of rebuilding.
If you do not have the Anderson valve then you may have a bad check valve in your water pump.
When you are hooked up to city water the flow should go directly to your water system other than the fresh water tank.
If your Anderson valve or water pump check valve is faulty that will allow water to seep past those valves and in turn fill your fresh water tank. When it gets full it will pour out of the two overflow lines that your mentioned.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the response. This leads me to a couple new questions. As a new RV owner, I am not sure how to tell if I have an Anderson Valve, is there a way to determine this?

If I let the city water continue to run, other than the loss of water, is there any danger to interior flooding? I have been shutting the water main off and then only turning it on when I the fresh tank gets low.

I will be contacting service repair for this after the holiday weekend as I assume the repair will be covered under my extended warranty.

Those are indeed overflow lines from your fresh water tank.
If your rig is equipped with an Anderson valve in the UDC it may be in need of rebuilding.
If you do not have the Anderson valve then you may have a bad check valve in your water pump.
When you are hooked up to city water the flow should go directly to your water system other than the fresh water tank.
If your Anderson valve or water pump check valve is faulty that will allow water to seep past those valves and in turn fill your fresh water tank. When it gets full it will pour out of the two overflow lines that your mentioned.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is a Anderson valve and a rebuild kit. Sometimes just turning the valve up then back down has fixed the problem on rare occasions.

Jerrod
8a80be491d51d5815f91e427dd36c076.jpg
ca41e1eeea1742cf28b53e6cb89a394b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it's easier and less time consuming to just make repairs on our own. If you have the Anderson valve you can contact them for a rebuild kit which should take little time on your part to make the repair. Much better than leaving your rig at the dealer for a month.
There is a lot of information on water systems in our Tools section. Look for the Tools button in the tool bar at the top of this page.
Here is a link to info about the Anderson valve that is located in the Tools section. LINK

I don't think that you will have an issue running the way you are but it is not a good long term solution for your tank over flow.
If everything is functioning the way it should you should be able to leave your city water turned on all the time.
And something caught my eye in your post. That is, if you do have the Anderson valve are you sure you are using it correctly?

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You might want to just finish out this campout running off of the fresh tank and water pump instead of turning on the fresh water every time you want to use water.