Disc brake Conversion questions

MagnoliaTom

For those that have done a disc brake conversion , can you offer some guidance on a couple things I’m wrestling with?

Is it necessarily better to have 1/4” main line vs. 3/16”? The research I’ve done shows conflicting results, since you need reducers to the hydraulic brake actuator and the T-fittings. Titan’s brake line kit only offers 1/4” main lines for Triple axles.

Is mounting the HBA closer to the axles to shorten the main line more effective than upgrading to the 1/4” line?

I’ve also seen that it is advisable to keep the HBA wires no longer than 25’ and to use 10 gauge wires. If this is the case, I could mount the HBA in a compartment right above the front axle.

Finally, I’ve read a couple reviews that the Titan actuator has about a 1 second delay. Plus, my Ford would need the brake controller adapter. I’m considering the Dexter HBA. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard about the delay using 3/16 lines. After I did my conversion about 7 years ago a guy asked me for advice. I recommended using the 1/4 main line and he chose the 3/16 because that's what came with his kit. I got a call because he did not like the delay he experienced. He swapped out the 3/16 to 1/4 and all was good.
That's my only experience with the two size lines.
I used a Carlisle Hydrostar HBA. They will send a 1/4 fitting for the HBA that will replace the 3/16. I used 1/4 main line.
More volume is better I guess although with a sealed steel system there should be no loss of pressure.
You wont regret converting.

Peace
Dave

MagnoliaTom

Thanks guys. I spoke to someone who sells all brands of HBAs and he suggested Titan with 1/4” main lines. So, I’ll be ordering a kit from him.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks guys. I spoke to someone who sells all brands of HBAs and he suggested Titan with 1/4” main lines. So, I’ll be ordering a kit from him.

Have you spoken to Michael at Performance Trailer Breaking? They sell the full kit and can do the installs if you want.

MagnoliaTom

Have you spoken to Michael at Performance Trailer Breaking? They sell the full kit and can do the installs if you want.

I didn’t speak to him but I did communicate via email with them.

MagnoliaTom

Got my kit delivered
b7efe77bf0c685a174f488a199c15f07.jpg

be12d2dc252291b13d63df0f6ceb4692.jpg

pegmikef

Good move. You will really like the brakes. When I ordered my kit they gave me the rally rate. Mine were pretty easy to install, because I had the kit drop shipped to T&S RVs in Navasota, TX, where Tim's crew installed them and honored a 20% off of labor coupon that I got at a rally I figured I saved about 400 bucks so it really does pay to attend HOC rallies.

MagnoliaTom

a0feb25a8d51c7030b7bf196021306ee.jpg

I decided to put the actuator in the MorRyde storage box under the entry steps

42b0d4d315b85e72d440afec78bf868d.jpg

Wired it up and put all the connections in a junction box.

6adc9245d51701a112f7a77880d45a05.jpg

Ran fish tape from pin box to front compartment

855ea6459293e1b47b80dd105afad82d.jpg

Temporarily hooked up all the wires to test it out

Tomorrow I’ll start on the brake lines and rotors and permanently secure all the wires in the front compartment by the batteries in another junction box.

MagnoliaTom

d0496ccdf6305925737528c927a9b82e.jpg

First drum removed had a light coating of grease. No wonder my brakes felt weak!

f2579a8fc3b96e8f100d121647e31c1a.jpg

Got the caliper bracket installed and torqued to 50 lbs

82982338bea5dedb51cc2a4d61bca47e.jpg

I got some wheel studs made for a Polaris ATV. They’re a tad longer than 1-1/4”

333afc7454f3fb68ff31337e8cba3b2f.jpg

First wheel done. 3 more to go and still need to run the brake lines. Should be wrapped up tomorrow