Electric fireplace won’t turn on

Klewis719

I have power to the fireplace but it won’t turn on. There isn’t a brand on it or in the manual and here is no troubleshooting. Any suggestions?

danemayer

Could be a bad switch or bad thermostat, or a bad heating unit. These fireplaces are not terribly serviceable. If you took it in for service, they'd probably just replace it.

If you want to take a run at fixing it, you could pull the trim around the fireplace and take out its mounting screws, then open the unit and try to trace out the power. Getting replacement parts may be tough.

wdk450

Can you get the fireplace to make heat? With everything quiet, can you hear the faint effects motor when you turn the fireplace on? It just might be that all of your 8 light bulbs have burnt out. Otherwise check if the supply outlet to the fireplace has electricity to tun another plug in item.

BTW, I just replaced the 4 lower under-log lamps in my fireplace which were all burnt-out. I got a GREAT deal on the miniature base (the size of your pinkie diameter) clear chandelier bulbs at the 99 Cents Only store. This was a Sunbeam brand 2 pack of bulbs with a manufacturer's price tag of $4.82 for only 99 cents!!!

There are other old threads on the forum about easily disassembling your fireplace to replace the bulbs (and maybe clean out the dust and clean the glass) you can find with a search using the searchbar, or maybe some will pop up in the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page.

1 post to go to reach the 5000 posts mark!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you within your one-year warranty? Heartland can ship you a new one directly, no need to go to the dealer. It's a self-contained unit that simply plugs into a socket. If you post a pic we can help you with how to access the fireplace. It usually requires some removal of trim/woodwork around the fireplace.

Another question, you said you have power but it won't turn on. Are you saying the power button makes the display light up, but you cannot get anything to happen? It could be the unit needs to be reset. Unplug, wait 10 seconds and replug in the fireplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Are you within your one-year warranty? Heartland can ship you a new one directly, no need to go to the dealer. It's a self-contained unit that simply plugs into a socket. If you post a pic we can help you with how to access the fireplace. It usually requires some removal of trim/woodwork around the fireplace.

From his other post, it's a 2016 purchased used 4 months ago.

TravelTiger

Ah! Thanks Dan. I see. A 2016 may have a defective fireplace. There was a rash of them at that time. I would replace the unit, if it's not working properly. I think if he posts a photo, we can help him.

Klewis719

Another question, you said you have power but it won't turn on. Are you saying the power button makes the display light up, but you cannot get anything to happen? It could be the unit needs to be reset. Unplug, wait 10 seconds and replug in the fireplace.

I have power at the outlet but when I press the power button, nothing happens. It’s about 10 months out of the one year warranty.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you get the fireplace to make heat? With everything quiet, can you hear the faint effects motor when you turn the fireplace on? It just might be that all of your 8 light bulbs have burnt out. Otherwise check if the supply outlet to the fireplace has electricity to tun another plug in item.

BTW, I just replaced the 4 lower under-log lamps in my fireplace which were all burnt-out. I got a GREAT deal on the miniature base (the size of your pinkie diameter) clear chandelier bulbs at the 99 Cents Only store. This was a Sunbeam brand 2 pack of bulbs with a manufacturer's price tag of $4.82 for only 99 cents!!!

There are other old threads on the forum about easily disassembling your fireplace to replace the bulbs (and maybe clean out the dust and clean the glass) you can find with a search using the searchbar, or maybe some will pop up in the "similar threads" at the bottom of this page.

1 post to go to reach the 5000 posts mark!!!

It wont turn on at all. Nothing happens when I press the power button.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

You might contact Heartland anyway on this, because there was a rash of failures of fireplaces in 2016 in Bighorn and Big Country. They may be able to direct you to the distributor, who might honor replacement.

jeffdee

I would like to add my 2 cents about the fireplace. Several years ago I smelled something strange near the fireplace. When I touched the plug at the receptacle I found it to be quite warm. Since then I have never set the power at full 1500 watts. I use the lower wattage setting and the plug does not get warm. The fireplace works well enough to keep the chill out. I use 2 oil filled radiant heaters to keep the cold out and the gas furnace as a last resort.

wdk450

I would like to add my 2 cents about the fireplace. Several years ago I smelled something strange near the fireplace. When I touched the plug at the receptacle I found it to be quite warm. Since then I have never set the power at full 1500 watts. I use the lower wattage setting and the plug does not get warm. The fireplace works well enough to keep the chill out. I use 2 oil filled radiant heaters to keep the cold out and the gas furnace as a last resort.

Jeff and Dee:
The plug heating and strange smell you encountered may be the result of an Insulation Displacement connector outlet having its small wire to outlet contact overheating. See: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...placement-Connector-(IDC)-Electrical-Outlets?

Piperflyer

You might contact Heartland anyway on this, because there was a rash of failures of fireplaces in 2016 in Bighorn and Big Country. They may be able to direct you to the distributor, who might honor replacement.

Heartland still has the replacement fireplace (EF-30B) in question for the BH & BC for $231.00 plus shipping and handling. The question is do you want to buy the same fireplace that problems were had with or find a good substitute and hope that lasts longer.

Klewis719

Heartland still has the replacement fireplace (EF-30B) in question for the BH & BC for $231.00 plus shipping and handling. The question is do you want to buy the same fireplace that problems were had with or find a good substitute and hope that lasts longer.

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll definitely contact heartland to see if I can get a free replacement! I wouldn’t want to purchase it but I’ll give it a shot for free!

Thanks again!

Piperflyer

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll definitely contact heartland to see if I can get a free replacement! I wouldn’t want to purchase it but I’ll give it a shot for free!

Here is what you will need when you call Heartland
0161013 : Appliance - Fireplace - 26 - Curved Glass - EF-30B- $231.00
Plus tax and shipping
If you would like to place an order for this please respond back to this email with the following information:
- First and last name or name of business
- Shipping address
- Contact phone number
- Quantity needed

In about 3-5 business days when everything is packed and ready to ship we will call you for payment and let you know the overall total including tax and shipping at that time.

emery395

Actually my simulated flame works and heater comes on for 5 seconds then goes off.
Wondering if anyone knows of serviceable part might be the issue?
of course mine failed 3 weeks after year warranty and heartland told me they would not cover replacements

my my unit is cyclone 4005 bought new at end of September 2017