Liquor freeze

emery395

I could not find a topic discussing what liquids you could keep in the RV over the winter without the problem of it freezing and leaking.
For example what about alcohol products such as beer wine etc. and bathroom products such as shampoos. Temperatures here will definitely get down into the -10°F range over the course of the winter.

Our summer ‘home’ will stay in New England as we head south for the winter.
Thx in advance for help

kowAlski631

We live in SC and don't leave any liquids in our trailer over the winter - and it rarely goes below 32° here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My wife takes everything liquid out of the camper around the end of October.
If we travel in winter, the heat goes on and everything goes back in.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

At those temperatures, which I am very much aware of being from MA and RI, any liquid you leave would freeze. If I can go into a home as an HVAC technician and find running water from a kitchen faucet frozen solid and the sink just one big block of ice, then any liquid left in a TT will do the same. Even a can of beans will freeze and burst the can. Don't take the chance.

Lynn1130

Alcohol freezes at a lower temp than most other liquids. Depending upon the percentage of alcohol in the whiskey/vodka etc. Most freezing temps are below 0. But, then I have seen some exploded beer cans after a minor freeze with beer only being about 6%. I live in an area that does not get much below 25 F in a really cold snap but I would think if it is going below 32 F for any length of time I would remove all liquids.

The other issues is the container of what-ever the liquid is such as cleaning liquids. If it cracks while your trailer is in storage you have a mess and maybe some damage you will not find for weeks or months.

NYSUPstater

We are like Cookie. Anything liquid comes out regardless of what it is. Maybe a PITA, but no problems come springtime.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recommend removing things like caulking tubes and tape, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

80 proof liquor will not freeze until the temps are 17 to 20 below.

80 Proof Liquor40%-27 C (-17 F)Includes most standard base liquors like gin, vodka, whiskey, etc. You're clear for the freezer!
The internet is a wonderful thing.

Now for some actual experience. Our whiskey did not freeze at Ft. Wainwright at 20 below during the winter, must have been good whiskey LOL

Lynn1130

Yeah, I found those figures too. So it is best to just drink EverClear (190 proof) it will never freeze. :)

Liquor freezing in a refrigerator can cause many damages in a refrigerator. Water freezes at 0 C (32 F) and the freezing point of pure ethanol alcohol is -114 C (-173.2 F). The exact freezing point of vodka, tequila, rum, whiskey and liqueurs (as well as wine and beer) is dependent on its alcohol by volume (or its proof). there are two points you need to remember
1. The lower the alcohol content, the warmer the freezing point.
2. The higher the alcohol content, the colder the freezing point.
if your refrigerator still freezes the alcohol or any other watery substance you need to contact the certified professionals like A+ Refrigeration Heating & Air Conditioning to rectify the problems and to guide you for the mistakes that should be avoided.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I know for a fact that Fireball won't freeze in an Insignia residential freezer!

mlpeloquin

Beer and wine will freeze. Just put a bottle in your S&B freezer. Now hard stuff as mentioned is dependent on the proof. Here is a listing of some of the freezing temperatures of alcohol drinks. 80 proof and greater seems to be safe unless your rig is in the Klondike at 60 below zero. But then gain it is winter. You need the antifreeze in your S&B!