Alternate Heating

eddylives

So I have come to hate filling propane bottles for heat in the spring and fall. Rather expensive to do seasonally
I do not care to run generators to power electric heaters for the cost of fuel and the wear and tear on said generator. Our site closes from the end of September until May so the power is turned off

I am located on a permanent site so mobility is not an issue for us.

After helping friends recently to install wood stoves in their cabins I decided that I like the ease and cost of heating with wood after initial installation.

As we have a 2017 starcraft 38 foot long triple slide unit, installation of a wood stove in the trailer is not an option to consider lol.

So my idea is to build a cheap outdoor wood furnace and duct the heat into the trailer and duct a return air from the trailer back to the furnace.
I plan on using a barrel stove kit using a 35 gallon combustion barrel in a 55 gallon barrel as a heat exchanger.
I plan on using the existing windows at the back of the trailer for the ducting of heat and return air.
There will be posative shut off for the heated side and return air ducting with a hot air dump to bypass the heat going into the trailer.

https://youtu.be/OCx5ozAC2UI this is a link to something similar that I would build.

I have thought this through and would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on this ??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good way to heat. I suggest that you line the bottom of the fire chamber with fire brick.
Also be sure to have a couple of carbon monoxide detectors in your rig.

Peace
Dave