Verizon MiFi NOT Throttling Down After 15 GB Use

wdk450

Gang:
This really isn't a problem, it's more a question to see if other Verizon MiFi users are experiencing what I have over the last 3 months.

I have the Verizon Unlimited data plan through FMCA for $49.99 a month, and it used to be that once I got over the 15 GB usage threshold my data transfer rates would slow WAYYY down. I have noticed for the last 3 months this hasn't been happening, and I now seem to have unlimited high speed 4G data speeds. Has anyone else noticed this???

Oregon_Camper

Wow...that is awesome!

Do you also have a Verizon phone? If so, perhaps you can do a quick speed test on both and see if the MiFi is being slowed down?

I like using Ookla for internet bandwidth test, but there are bunch of other sites too.

http://www.speedtest.net/

gslabbert5119

Yeah we have the same FMCA plan and I believe that you have your numbers incorrect. The plan is for 25 GB prior to throttling.

We have not hit the 25 GB mark yet, but I will report back when I do

Gavin

pegmikef

What is FMCA? I used to have the unlimited and it slowed at 15 GB so I switched to the 24 GB plan (plus I have a grandfathered 2 GB bonus) and it does not slow down.

gslabbert5119

FMCA = Family Motor Coach Association, they have negotiated a program for their members where you have to sign up for a new 2 year plan which gives you 25GB of un-throttled data and a free MIFI for the normal $49.99 per month.

Because we work from our rig and are on the road full time this works extremely well for us as long as there is Verizon signal.

Gavin

chiefneon

Howdy!

We have the FMCA Verizon unlimited data plan and I can assure you that once we hit the 25gb data cap no matter were we are it slows to unusable data speeds every month. Our AT&T unlimited plan we have does not. Once the two year contract is up if nothing changes I will dump the FMCA Verizon unlimited plan.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

esscobra

verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days- ATT no longer allows laptops or other devices to attach to a unlimited plan - ended in may- so if are on one of the plans DO NOT change your plan or age your device as you will NOT be able to get it onto the plan I can assist in getting a truly unlimited plan for hotpots and routers thru sprint- however he coverage outside of cities is nowhere near that of att + verizion-

danemayer

verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days-

Do you have a link to the Verizon $45/month unlimited plan?

wdk450

What is FMCA? I used to have the unlimited and it slowed at 15 GB so I switched to the 24 GB plan (plus I have a grandfathered 2 GB bonus) and it does not slow down.

One qualifier on this deal is that you have to become a member of the Family Motor Coach Association (whose board of directors voted to admit towable RV's also this year). The minimum 2 year membership is about $100 I think, but I saved that amount from what I had previously been paying Verizon ($80 a month) in just a few months.

https://site.fmca.com/

https://site.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-verizon-4g-mifi.htm'

BTW, I did my big Garmin maps update for my GPS this afternoon, and saw no data slowing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days- ATT no longer allows laptops or other devices to attach to a unlimited plan - ended in may- so if are on one of the plans DO NOT change your plan or age your device as you will NOT be able to get it onto the plan I can assist in getting a truly unlimited plan for hotpots and routers thru sprint- however he coverage outside of cities is nowhere near that of att + verizion-

I have the exact Verizon plan you are talking about and it is not what it seems...it is called the 'Above and Beyond Unlimited'...or something like that.

That 22GB is based off of using your phone as a hotspot and DOES NOT attach to your Mifi.

However, with this plan, once you use up your Mifi 15GB, you can switch to your phone as a hotspot to use up the rest of that 22GB, and when they do throttle you down it is to a 3G speed, so not too bad for a $10/mo increase to the Mifi bill, and much better than the snail speed with the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan!

Or you can use both as hotspots up to a total of 22GB...then the throttle down.

The people in the Verizon stores don't even understand this plan...as I found out the hard way (3 visits to Verizon stores and maybe 10 phone calls before I found anyone who could explain it to me).

Footnote: This is my only internet since January 2018, so am very familiar as to when it throttles down.

pegmikef

One qualifier on this deal is that you have to become a member of the Family Motor Coach Association (whose board of directors voted to admit towable RV's also this year). The minimum 2 year membership is about $100 I think, but I saved that amount from what I had previously been paying Verizon ($80 a month) in just a few months.

Thanks. I'll have to figure it up as it said I would lose my military discount with Verizon with this plan and that would almost be a wash (my data fee is 70 dollars right now).

gslabbert5119

Thanks. I'll have to figure it up as it said I would lose my military discount with Verizon with this plan and that would almost be a wash (my data fee is 70 dollars right now).

I would verify this as you can open up a new sub account that is different to your existing account. I keep my healthcare discount on my phone lines and the FMCA offer on both my MIFI's.

Do expect Verizon to screw up your account, they certainly did mine and it took many calls to get it straightened out.

pegmikef

I would verify this as you can open up a new sub account that is different to your existing account. I keep my healthcare discount on my phone lines and the FMCA offer on both my MIFI's.

Do expect Verizon to screw up your account, they certainly did mine and it took many calls to get it straightened out.

I read the deal about the discount on the link for the FMCA benefits. I just saw on facebook, that FMCA is offering a 15 dollar a year discount for joining right now. I only have one jet pack. I just cancelled the second one a couple of months ago. Does that 49 dollars include the access fee? Right now I think I pay ten dollars for that.

danemayer

Joining FMCA also gives you FMCA Assist at no additional charge. That's the service that provides for medical evacuation and getting your rig home in an emergency. Good Sam normally charges about $89 for Travel Assist, although I see they've now got a lower price, but it appears to be for new members only, and probably is higher at renewal.

southernlady5464

FMCA also has a deal with Sprint. No contract, month to month cause they own the hotspots, you are just renting them from FMCA. Upside is it’s only throttled if you happen to be in a congested area. We’ve had ours since March and have yet to be throttled. Average use of 100-200 gigs a month.

We also have a grandfathered AT&T mifi which gives us 999.0 gigs a month and that is not a typo.

It was suggested by the head of the technology section of FMCA to not have your eggs all in one basket. If AT&T doesn’t work, Sprint might. Verizon is not the strongest everywhere, esp on the eastern/southern seaboard.

JohnD

I have the exact Verizon plan you are talking about and it is not what it seems...it is called the 'Above and Beyond Unlimited'...or something like that.

That 22GB is based off of using your phone as a hotspot and DOES NOT attach to your Mifi.

However, with this plan, once you use up your Mifi 15GB, you can switch to your phone as a hotspot to use up the rest of that 22GB, and when they do throttle you down it is to a 3G speed, so not too bad for a $10/mo increase to the Mifi bill, and much better than the snail speed with the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan!

That last line is not totally correct...

The Mifi will throttle down once it hits 15GB, but the phone hotspot will not throttle down until the total of both combined reaches 22GB...

Sorry for the misinformation...

wdk450

I like Verizon because I have been to RV campouts in the Northern California mountains, and those RVers at those campouts who did not have Verizon did not have cell service. Maybe this has changed.

I have only the MiFi hotspot with Verizon, but then have a Tracfone prepaid smartphone I bought through HSN. I have a triple minutes deal locked in for life, got like 1200 minutes when I bought a new phone last fall, got 1200 MORE minutes when I returned that Tracfone for a better model with a magnetic sensor (for TV satellite aiming apps). Tracfone and HSN never caught this. I haven't paid for any phone airtime since before last fall. I have 2175 minutes left and about 9000 texts on a $90 phone purchase. This is germane to the MiFi conversation because my Tracfone also uses the Verizon cell tower system. The only drawback is that when I voice call the Verizon tech support for problems with my MiFi router, their software recognizes the cell number I am calling from as a Tracfone number, and an automated message tells me to call Tracfone with my problems, and HANGS UP!! I always have to resort to an e-mail chat app on Verizon's website to communicate with Verizon customer service.

esscobra

The people in the Verizon stores don't even understand this plan...as I found out the hard way (3 visits to Verizon stores and maybe 10 phone calls before I found anyone who could explain it to me).

Footnote: This is my only internet since January 2018, so am very familiar as to when it throttles down.

not the same- I don't have any Verizon phones- I only deal with data devices- a few hotspots and usb modems, but mainly cradlepoint routers- my clients use them in the oil fields and and in construction trailers- also I sell to people in remote areas not serviced by broadband - I ven have a church in remote area that streams on facebook their services- as well as retail stores and physician offices that rely on them as instant back up card processing and access the electronic health records- these are data only routers/firewall units- these are what are in police/fire/ems vehicles

- - - Updated - - -

danemayer- I will pm you with a Verizon contact, ad can get you truly unlimited sprint account I there is service in your area

where are you now?

JohnD

not the same- I don't have any Verizon phones- I only deal with data devices- a few hotspots and usb modems, but mainly cradlepoint routers- my clients use them in the oil fields and and in construction trailers- also I sell to people in remote areas not serviced by broadband - I ven have a church in remote area that streams on facebook their services- as well as retail stores and physician offices that rely on them as instant back up card processing and access the electronic health records- these are data only routers/firewall units- these are what are in police/fire/ems vehicles

I believe that most of us are on real people plans...not some kind of business plan.

I stand by my statement as the plan 22GB plan that most of us will have.

chiefneon

Howdy!

As I stated before our FMCA Verizon unilimited plan is worthless after you use the 25gbs. I spoke with Verizon yesterday about the Above and beyond plan mentioned. First thing they advised was I would have to buy my way out of the contract I have and move to a phone plan to receive it. Second was that once I used up the data 75gbs phone or 12gbs hotspot I would still be slowed to the unless speeds I get now with the plan I have. I asked about it being slow to 3g and was told that what it does now 3g. I have had Verizon 3g for several years before and after they came up with 4G and this is not 3g. Basically I was told “it is what it is”! So no help from Verizon and I will dump this Verizon plan when the contract runs out in 2020.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon