Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon MiFi NOT Throttling Down After 15 GB Use

1. Print this Post   #1

Verizon MiFi NOT Throttling Down After 15 GB Use

Gang:
    This really isn't a problem, it's more a question to see if other Verizon MiFi users are experiencing what I have over the last 3 months.

I have the Verizon Unlimited data plan through FMCA for $49.99 a month, and it used to be that once I got over the 15 GB usage threshold my data transfer rates would slow WAYYY down. I have noticed for the last 3 months this hasn't been happening, and I now seem to have unlimited high speed 4G data speeds. Has anyone else noticed this???
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Verizon MiFi NOT Throttling Down After 15 GB Use

Wow...that is awesome!

Do you also have a Verizon phone? If so, perhaps you can do a quick speed test on both and see if the MiFi is being slowed down?

I like using Ookla for internet bandwidth test, but there are bunch of other sites too.

http://www.speedtest.net/

3. Print this Post   #3

Yeah we have the same FMCA plan and I believe that you have your numbers incorrect. The plan is for 25 GB prior to throttling.

We have not hit the 25 GB mark yet, but I will report back when I do

Gavin

4. Print this Post   #4

What is FMCA? I used to have the unlimited and it slowed at 15 GB so I switched to the 24 GB plan (plus I have a grandfathered 2 GB bonus) and it does not slow down.
    Peg and Mike Finnegan, Faithful Traveling Companion Cameo (RIP), adopted furry friend Molly, San Angelo, TX
    US Army Retired, Vietnam Vet, 2017 F350 King Ranch,
    2018 Landmark Oshkosh.
    Rallies:
    2011: Spring, Canton, TX; 2012: Spring, TX; Thackerville, OK (X2)
    2013; Santo, Montgomery, Canton, Beaumont, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2014; Carthage, Mo; Amana, IA; Santo, Bullard, Montgomery, TX; Durant, Thackerville, OK
    2015; Goshen, IN; Kinder, New Iberia, LA; Boerne, Kerrville, Sweetheart, Santo, TX; Durant (X2), OK; Carthage, MO
    2016; Sweetheart, Quanah, Weatherford, Canton, Ingram, TX; Henderson, LA; Durant, OK; Mountain View, AR; Branson, Plattes Ville, MO: Las Vegas, NV
    2017; Sweetheart, Alpine, Montgomery, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Goshen, IN; Kinder, LA; Vinita, Oklahoma City, OK.

2018; Abilene, Tyler, TX; Branson, MO; Mountain View, AR; Kinder, LA; Eufala, Oklahoma City, OK.

5. Print this Post   #5

FMCA = Family Motor Coach Association, they have negotiated a program for their members where you have to sign up for a new 2 year plan which gives you 25GB of un-throttled data and a free MIFI for the normal $49.99 per month.

Because we work from our rig and are on the road full time this works extremely well for us as long as there is Verizon signal.

Gavin

6. Print this Post   #6

Howdy!

We have the FMCA Verizon unlimited data plan and I can assure you that once we hit the 25gb data cap no matter were we are it slows to unusable data speeds every month. Our AT&T unlimited plan we have does not. Once the two year contract is up if nothing changes I will dump the FMCA Verizon unlimited plan.

Happy Trails
    Chiefneon

Escapees, Class of 2007 Fulltimers
    Gary & Karen
    Smoochie & Micheala (fur babies)
    2018 Chevrolet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler
    2014 Cyclone 4000
    2016 Smart Car Prime

7. Print this Post   #7

verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days- ATT no longer allows laptops or other devices to attach to a unlimited plan - ended in may- so if are on one of the plans DO NOT change your plan or age your device as you will NOT be able to get it onto the plan I can assist in getting a truly unlimited plan for hotpots and routers thru sprint- however he coverage outside of cities is nowhere near that of att + verizion-
    2017 bighorn 3760

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by esscobra View Post
    verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days-
    Do you have a link to the Verizon $45/month unlimited plan?

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by pegmikef View Post
    What is FMCA? I used to have the unlimited and it slowed at 15 GB so I switched to the 24 GB plan (plus I have a grandfathered 2 GB bonus) and it does not slow down.
    One qualifier on this deal is that you have to become a member of the Family Motor Coach Association (whose board of directors voted to admit towable RV's also this year). The minimum 2 year membership is about $100 I think, but I saved that amount from what I had previously been paying Verizon ($80 a month) in just a few months.

https://site.fmca.com/

https://site.fmca.com/index.php/fmca...on-4g-mifi.htm'

BTW, I did my big Garmin maps update for my GPS this afternoon, and saw no data slowing.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

10. Print this Post   #10
    Movin' on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esscobra View Post
    verizion now has a " unlimited " plan for 45.00 month- but slows at 22gb - however as with all their plans when the limit is reached their meaning of slow down is les han 600k - which is basically unuseable these days- ATT no longer allows laptops or other devices to attach to a unlimited plan - ended in may- so if are on one of the plans DO NOT change your plan or age your device as you will NOT be able to get it onto the plan I can assist in getting a truly unlimited plan for hotpots and routers thru sprint- however he coverage outside of cities is nowhere near that of att + verizion-
    I have the exact Verizon plan you are talking about and it is not what it seems...it is called the 'Above and Beyond Unlimited'...or something like that.

That 22GB is based off of using your phone as a hotspot and DOES NOT attach to your Mifi.

However, with this plan, once you use up your Mifi 15GB, you can switch to your phone as a hotspot to use up the rest of that 22GB, and when they do throttle you down it is to a 3G speed, so not too bad for a $10/mo increase to the Mifi bill, and much better than the snail speed with the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan!

Or you can use both as hotspots up to a total of 22GB...then the throttle down.

The people in the Verizon stores don't even understand this plan...as I found out the hard way (3 visits to Verizon stores and maybe 10 phone calls before I found anyone who could explain it to me).

Footnote: This is my only internet since January 2018, so am very familiar as to when it throttles down.
    Yuma AZ

Heartland Prowler RV Owners Facebook Page
    -------No Prowler Needed To Join! ^ CLICK HERE! ^

----Where my Heartland's have been:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast