H.O.T.E.L.: Help for folks who need a hand on the road

bigredtruck

I'll have to ask DH what services he can provide but I can do a cup of coffee! Count us in as users and providers

jbeletti

Lori,

A "cup of coffee" - I love it! I think this HOTEL program can be just as social as it can be technical. Some people love to meet others with things on common while on the road.

Forrest,

If I break down, I want it to be near Henderson/Las Vegas. I'd get a pro to help me out and get to visit two of my favorite peeps. And Bebe and Maggie too!

Jim

Soldier On - Heartland Army :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too are interested in this program, however, we are fulltimers and would be mobile most of the year. We could still provide services, i,e, moving another owner's trailer to a safe location with our truck if theirs was inoperable, provide tools and assistance, etc.

Count us in too!!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I'd like to hear from anyone who has "made the call" to any helpers in programs like this that they are involved in (trucks, Gold Wings etc.). I'd like to know how it worked out.

Jim

On Oilburners.net it works. While the site caters to all diesels, the largest group of enthusiests are the 83 - 94 7.3 IDI crowd. We also use what we call the B.O.O.B. express (Brotherhood Of Oil Burners) to move large items that are hard or expensive to ship to members by moving it ourselves between members.

That site is a pretty close knit group and most members personally know other members there. Many of the active users have been on the site for years.

I have had another member near me bring over an appropriat sized engine stand and help me pull the 7.3 engine from my 2000 F350. He also helped me rebuild my turbo.

Myself I have driven 400 miles to help another member assemble a short block and install it and get his truck running. He put me up in his camper for the weekend. Another member had picked up his heads and taken them to his machine shop to help him save money after ventilating the lock on his engine and things were not looking good.

Also have moved a transmission for a member on the final leg from Indiana to Georgia as it was on my way when I was delivering a trailer. Tranny had passed hands twice before I got it as it was pushed southeast. It's slow going sometimes but if you ain't in a hurry it works well.

I have personally met members from Georgia to British Columbia and many places in between. Well worth the time and effort to get set up.

You can count on us also to be a provider and user. We have 30 amp service and water available. A large pole barn that you can pull inside for repairs or whatever also available with concrete floor, air compressor and air tools etc. Great Idea!!

ct0218

Count me in as a provider. I can provide most all services, and my location on the SE side of Great Smoky Mountain National Park and adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway puts me in a highly traveled area. I can also advise on accessible service and repair facilities, and travel routes thru the mountains.

Cheryl

As long as the info is kept private to owners, I wouldn't mind having my phone number listed. If anybody is traveling (and doesn't have access to the internet) and breaks down or has rim/tire failure, etc. I would be more than happy to use my internet to help them find local help. Happened to us last July - fortunately my son was at home and looked up a parts store for us.
As for the hands on help, we don't live near any interstates or any other major highway, so I doubt if anybody would ever be near us, but if they are, we would be glad to help in anyway we can.

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Count us in as providers and users. We have room for rv's, place and tools to work on trucks if need be and of course hospitality.None

imchud

WOW!!! What a great post -- count us in as providers and users.. I don't have a shop or much of an area (except for a drive way) to work on a Camper... But I can help with a lot of different things including turning a wrench, changing a tire, offering coffee and of corse a beer:D