H.O.T.E.L.: Help for folks who need a hand on the road

davebennington

WOW!!!!!!!!

I expected some response to my post but not to the extent that has occurred to date, What a great bunch of people.
I am ready to be a provider for the following, no special order.

Coffee always,
Truck repair (in depth Dodge) everything else we can do together
Complete shop heated and cooled with tools and air to change tires,
Parts locater,
Local campground finder,
Towing of trailer if necessary,
A place to park with 50/30 amp hookup (after some shuffling).
and finally after your mind is at ease and you are convinced that everything is going to be ok dinner, a beer or stiff drink.
There even is an apartment to stay in if the trailer is not functioning.

I know that Jim is working on a system so that we can put this in place and be able to help the folks on the road.

Dave

fvanassen

BMW motorcycle owners have a similar tool available to members of the BMW Motorcycle Owners Group. They publish an annual book. There's is 4x6 inches and about a half inch thick. All the members are listed with a phone number and geographic location. It might say something like 20 miles south of Grand Rapids Mi. It is listed by city of residence. Then each member has a list of alpha letters that identifies what they can provide. Some examples are: C for tent space. B for spare bedroom, K for coffee and conversation, T- tools available and so on. I was a member and listee for 10 years and got only one emergency phone call. It works for them and could also work for this group if enough members will sign up. I suspect that group had 5 - 7,000 members in the US and Canada. No Names are listed and no email addresses. Just a city and phone number with the codes.

Good luck.

jbeletti

fvnassen,

After reviewing a few other programs, the track I am on now in terms of data listed will be similar to what you state BMW-MOG does. No name, no email addresses.

State, City, Phone, Services

This will keep personal information released in the public to a minimum (phone number without name), yet, keep the list effective.

Jim

irvin56

sounds interresting

I work at least 60 hours a week, but would that be okay.??
to add to list or is there any thing that would require a person to be available.

What about if your on the road ??
used cell numbers or only home city numbers??

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would be happy to help out in the Northern Virginia area.

• Trailor towing (limited, have a 3/4 ton, short bed TV)
  • Rides to get parts,etc
Gus

davelinde

We are full-time now which limits what we could do, though we do have a truck, the tools we carry, some know-how, all of which could be handy from time to time. I'd have to think a bit about being called for help... we are working on the road and my hours can be wacky (I do global remote technical support). However, an e-mail would always be OK. Or, a forum area where people post their needs and the members cooperate to help out.

If we could help we would, but as with most here I'm sure there are times we might not be able. It's a great idea though - I'll try to remember to watch this thread.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Count us in, Can provide truck, transportation,campground help, and medical referral.

irvin56

Question for JIM

#44 post stated that this list would be for members only.

Can you explain a little.
Please.

Can only members registered use it.??
Can guests not access most posts and directorys.??
or is it kept to only members that are willing to be put on list??
How would we know who they are.

Thanks for you help on this, as I know it's a new approuch on setting this all up.

jbeletti

#44 post stated that this list would be for members only.

Can you explain a little.
Please.

Can only members registered use it.??
Can guests not access most posts and directorys.??
or is it kept to only members that are willing to be put on list??
How would we know who they are.

Thanks for you help on this, as I know it's a new approuch on setting this all up.

irvin56,

I do not see that in post 44. HOTEL is open to all Heartland product owners. Owners helping owners :)

Forum guests have limited access to the forum. Registered users that are logged in have nearly 100% access. Registered users that are logged in and have 2 approved posts under their belt have full forum access.

Only members who have offered services and provided their HOTEL phone number - can get on the list.

If the question is "I am not offering any services - can I still access and use the list?" Yes.

Jim

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Count us in as well. We're in a suburb of Oklahoma City and fairly close to I-44 and I-35 junction. I can move your 5er, provide a little mechanical help, some directions or a meal, or just say HI.

davelinde

Is this operating now and has anyone gotten help? I'm curious if it got going and how it was working, is there a directory now?

on edit: OK I found the directory in the sticky. Are people finding help?
Curious as I'd be willing to help when I'm around but not so eager to put a phone number out and field any calls when we are somewhere else (which is often)

jbeletti

Don't know if anyone has used it, but your post reminded me to update the directory. Thanks.

Current directory can be found in this thread or click on TOOLS above and select HOTEL.

Jim

davelinde

FWIW - another way to be an intermediary for help would be to have a thread here where people could ask for what they need. I've been helped in other forums this way.
In any case... I am always encouraged by the generosity of people who are simply sure their help is needed and they are not being taken advantage of. Hopefully this tool has allowed people to help and be helped.