WARNING if you RV with pets

Chippendale

A few minutes ago Dolly was partaking in an exercise (chasing her tail) that she does at home all the time but seldom in the trailer. Thank goodness I was here in the trailer with her when she caught the toes on her left rear foot in the grill of the heater floor register. It took a few minutes of drama on the part of both of us to get her toes out of the grill. She had a slight cut on one of the pads, but seemed to get over it very fast and seems to be OK now. We have been out on a walk and everything seems normal. I have to leave in a few minutes to go to a funeral, but I am for now closing her out of the bed room and putting 2 sort of heavy boxes over the grills in the floor in the living room until I can think of something better to do.

I am just sharing this because I never thought of any thing like that happening. I know dogs have pulled toe nails out while going down steps that have small holes in them, but never thought the floor registers would be a problem. Dolly and I are both fine now and I am going to try and be more aware of what can happen. It would have been terrible had I already left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chippendale

Are your grills plastic or steel?

Ours are steel

I bought a 6" wide piece of magnetic vent cover.

Cut to size I covered all of our vents.

Only take them off if we need the heat.

Keeps the hair out of them all summer as well (2 golden retrievers)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGNFSXJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, great idea. I will get some ASAP. She has been traveling with me for about 10 years and there has never been a problem until this afternoon. Amazon will probably have a run on magnetic vent cover after this posting.

'Lil Guy'

George, you can buy the exact size in the heating area of Walmart. Debbie has ours covered. She bought white. It can be painted and they are magnetic. They are sized to fit our floor registers.

pegmikef

Thanks George. I will pass Dolly's dilema on to Molly. Be careful covering your vents if your furnace will be running as it can cause it to overheat.

spasm3

I'm glad I saw this thread, as i have a german shepard mix, and our new mallard has floor vents. I will try the magnetic grill covers if they are metal. We pick our unit up saturday, so i dont remember if the vents are metal or plastic.
I don't want our dogs toenails to get caught in the vents though. Thanks for the warning!!

Bryan

ORV1980

Sherman
I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but another warning for those with small dogs.
We have two Chihuahuas. They like to jump straight up when they get excited, like when we are preparing or eating food. The other day Roy jumped up in the kitchen and came down next to the kitchen cabinet. As he came back down, his collar got hung up on the cabinet door knob. Fortunately my wife was right there to get him unhooked. You would think he would learn not to jump near the cabinets, but not so much.
We are going to replace all the knobs on the lower cabinets with smooth handles.

If you don't have dogs that think they are kangaroos, you have nothing to worry about.

Sherman