Half Baked

dana22

We have a 2016 Landmark that has a HighPointe Convection oven. This oven is a piece of junk. There isn't any other way I can state it. I love to bake, and for certain items, it's impossible. Pies are underdone, biscuits take 3 times as long to bake than my oven at home and cookies and cakes are over done in certain spots and ok in others. I have tried every possible way to get things baked. The only success I have found was to bake cookies on a pizza pan using the turntable. I've tried this method with pies and even then the dough isn't baked through.
It's very upsetting to spend hours making something only for it to flop because I couldn't get it baked through because the oven temperature isn't where it should be.
I've been very patient, after over two years trying to figure out a way to be more successful at using this appliance, but in all honesty I am at my wit's end with this.
I'm really frustrated as you can tell because I can't enjoy my passion for baking. I just keep trying thinking it will change, but it's like I'm beating my head against the wall.
I know I'm not the only one who has experienced the same result and I hope Heartland will or already has replaced these junky units with something more reputable and not more of something worthless just to save money.
Sincerely,
Dana Betine

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes if you can find the time to go through my thread and see our many attempts at finding the perfect oven you will see that the GE Advantium is it. Rhonda has done a lot of baking in it and things have come out perfectly. She might have come up with a few tricks I'm really not sure, but it's sure good..
This unit was a bit pricey but well worth it in the long run.
We really like that it has 2 racks inside for baking.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-PSA9120SF...8&qid=1544742566&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+advantium

f1682dc5ee511bb1bdf5b9ac26e61fab.jpg

sengli

I am sure there are a lot of people like me and my wife out there. We will never use the convection part of this unit, in our landmark. Good to know its not all that great.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We too seldom use the OEM convection oven because of mediocre results.
I’m the baker in the family and have pretty much figured our Atwood gas oven for successful results baking pies, cookies, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyA

We have a 2016 Landmark that has a HighPointe Convection oven. This oven is a piece of junk. There isn't any other way I can state it. I love to bake, and for certain items, it's impossible. Pies are underdone, biscuits take 3 times as long to bake than my oven at home and cookies and cakes are over done in certain spots and ok in others. I have tried every possible way to get things baked. The only success I have found was to bake cookies on a pizza pan using the turntable. I've tried this method with pies and even then the dough isn't baked through.
It's very upsetting to spend hours making something only for it to flop because I couldn't get it baked through because the oven temperature isn't where it should be.
I've been very patient, after over two years trying to figure out a way to be more successful at using this appliance, but in all honesty I am at my wit's end with this.
I'm really frustrated as you can tell because I can't enjoy my passion for baking. I just keep trying thinking it will change, but it's like I'm beating my head against the wall.
I know I'm not the only one who has experienced the same result and I hope Heartland will or already has replaced these junky units with something more reputable and not more of something worthless just to save money.
Sincerely,
Dana Betine
We have a Furion convection microwave in our 2018 and it works great but we prefer to bake in our Furion gas oven.
680ef03a4e1866ca2dd43c486cbe99b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

travlingman

We had the same issue with ours. We tried the rack that hooks in the middle and holds the pan up higher. Made a big difference with ours. Actually works fairly well now.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting reading the usage reports in this thread.
If I can't do it in the Rec Tec it goes in the convection oven both in the RV and at home.
Our RV LP oven has never been used. Well actually that's not true. It gets used for storage.

Peace
Dave

Lou_and_Bette

I have found a rack with fairly short legs, a baking stone, and rotation help me get pretty good results. I place the stone (Pampered Chef) on the rack and then begin pre-heating. I don’t put my food in the oven as soon as it reaches the designated temperature, I continue heating just the stone for about 10-15 minutes so it is at the designated temperature as well. I then place my food on the stone and rotate about half way through the designated time. On individual items, biscuits, cookies, etc., I some times go in with a spatula and move the items around to get better results. Occasionally, I will tent with a piece of tin foil to prevent the top from getting over brown. With the biscuits, cookies, etc., having the stone hot and placing these things right on the stone, cooks the bottom better. I personally like the challenge and the trial and error to get the job done, keeps my old brain functioning. It helps that am not a perfectionist, after years of “adapting and over-coming” related to my military service. However, if was hosting a dinner party, I probably would either plan a menu where I didn’t need to bake something that needed to “look pretty,” or would find another baking method. Remember, it’s all an adventure and more about the trip rather than the destination:rolleyes: Lou

vpnman

I have the Furrion convection microwave oven in my BH3160, and I agree it's junk. It won't properly cook a bag of popcorn (and I'm not exaggerating). I need to do some measuring with the existing microwave during the winter, and see if jesstalkn's solution will work in my rig.

You're not alone with the factory installed microwave being underwhelming (even though I have a different unit).

mlpeloquin

Before the Furrion convection microwave oven there was an even cheeper crappier High Point. Ours died and that is when I found out just how cheep the unit was, I replace ours with a standard GE microwave. We never used the convection feature.

travis_g

Yes if you can find the time to go through my thread and see our many attempts at finding the perfect oven you will see that the GE Advantium is it. Rhonda has done a lot of baking in it and things have come out perfectly. She might have come up with a few tricks I'm really not sure, but it's sure good..
This unit was a bit pricey but well worth it in the long run.
We really like that it has 2 racks inside for baking.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-PSA9120SF...8&qid=1544742566&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+advantium

f1682dc5ee511bb1bdf5b9ac26e61fab.jpg

We had this oven in our house a few years ago, I can’t recommend it enough. We moved and I really miss that oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk