PSA - 2017/18 F250/350 Tailgate TSB

vpnman

Just a quick note to share (if I’ve missed previous posts, apologies). The nut of the issue - tailgate can auto deploy when you don’t want it to. There’s a TSB on it, but I wasn’t aware of it.

I tow with a 2018 F250 Lariat Ultimate, which has the keyless entry and doesn’t require an ignition key. Another nifty feature is you can open the tailgate with the remote fob, and there’s no manual lock for it either.

I picked up my BH3160 today from a service dealership for warranty work. As I was leaving the shop, I noticed a strange visual, white stuff exploded from the back of my truck, I saw in my side mirror.

I hopped out and the tailgate was down, and crunched a hole in the front door (storage door) of the 5th wheel. I thought that’s insane, I dbl checked the tailgate was up before leaving, but thought somehow I’d hit the button in my pocket on the fob. Not to panic, it’s just the door and the tailgate was only cosmetically damaged. No biggie, truck on.

Fast forward a few miles, I stop at a truck stop to double check everything again and all good. As I put it in park and pull out, it happens again. The tailgate dropped and crunched the other side of the door. I’m losing it quietly at this point.

Luckily im not but 10 miles from the dealership where I bought the truck. I called and eventually spoke with the service manager and he’s waiting on my to drop by on my way home.

He came oit, took a few pictures and told me there’s a service bulletin (not a recall) for this exact issue. He said he would work with Ford to get replacement parts overnight and would need a quote for the door replacement. So far I’m happy that the dealership is standing behind their product but we will see what they pay for.

I wanted to share are for anyone else that may have a similar tow vehicle.

AC991462-2A4F-4082-91C8-5372B42D1198.jpg

NYSUPstater

While I don't have that prob, I did find out over this past weekend that the front door windows can go down w/ the key fob as well. Sparing the details, but sure enough you can. It's called "Global Window something". Didn't even know this existed. Read that it can be disabled in truck thru the message center/steering wheel control. So I disabled mine.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
The local news station down here in TX did a segment on the new Ford pickups because they are the most stolen vehicle in the state. They are also the most easily stolen due to not needing a key to start. The person they interviewed stated that technology is not always for the good. I wonder if this tailgate issue is part of that. I do like the window feature. I could see using it on a hot day as you walk out of the grocery store on your way to load up.