Inverter Question

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I have a problem that surfaced this past week while traveling. Our inverter would not turn the refrigerator on once we disconnected from shore power. Worked fine on day one of traveling, but day two and day three it did not work. The green indicator light inside the coach is on, and I can see the indicator light on the inverter itself is on, but the refer is not? I want to trouble shoot the problem but do not have a clue where to start? I just had new batteries installed this past year, so I don't think that is the problem, but I'm not sure. I suspect the inverter itself, because I have other "power" issues when unplugged from shore power (see my post on level=up problems), but not sure how to troubleshoot it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Keith,
Check the GFCI outlet on the top of the inverter. For some reason they like to trip for unknown reasons. You may need to use something like a pencil as the Reset has to be pushed pretty far in to latch.

danemayer

Keith,

I agree it does sound like the GFCI on the inverter has tripped and needs a reset. As you're also having possible low voltage problems on your level-up system, I'd also check the voltage on the batteries both on shore power and with shore power off. Should be 13.2-13.6V DC when on shore power and 12.6V when disconnected. Truck should be disconnected when taking readings.

klindgren

Keith,

I agree it does sound like the GFCI on the inverter has tripped and needs a reset. As you're also having possible low voltage problems on your level-up system, I'd also check the voltage on the batteries both on shore power and with shore power off. Should be 13.2-13.6V DC when on shore power and 12.6V when disconnected. Truck should be disconnected when taking readings.

Thanks Neale and Dan. Never thought of the GFI. I'll crawl under there this afternoon and try that. If it's not that then I'll check the batteries. Let you know what I find

I had a similar problem after traveling 3 & 4 days.
I installed a third battery and that solved the problem .

klindgren

Well, I was finally able to get into the front storage compartment to check out my inverter GFI outlet. I'm 99% sure it is tripped and I am unable to reset it. Neither the set button nor the test button will stay pushed in. The outlet for the inverter has the transfer switch plugged into it. As far as I can see, that is the only thing plugged in. I unpluged the transfer switch and tried to reset the GFi circuit, but it still will not reset. So, to my way of thinking, that means I have to replace the inverter. Before I go and spend all that money, I thought I double check with you experts to see what you think??

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The inverter GFI can only be reset when the inverter is turned on and the trailer is disconnected from shore power.

klindgren

The inverter GFI can only be reset when the inverter is turned on and the trailer is disconnected from shore power.
Thanks Terry. That's one step I did not check. I made sure the inverter was turned on, but I did not unplug, or turn off the shore power. I'll try that step today.

NWILSON

Not necessary to unplug shore power (remember, it's powered from your batteries) but the inverter must be turned on. It will likely require you use something to push the reset button as it has to be pushed pretty deep to latch.
I believe you can replace the outlet only and not have to buy a complete new inverter. You would probably have to remove the inverter from the coach to get sufficient access

jbeletti

Not necessary to unplug shore power (remember, it's powered from your batteries) but the inverter must be turned on. It will likely require you use something to push the reset button as it has to be pushed pretty deep to latch.
I believe you can replace the outlet only and not have to buy a complete new inverter. You would probably have to remove the inverter from the coach to get sufficient access

Confirming that you can in fact change "just the outlet". I've done this twice - once for my own and once for another person. That said, I doubt the outlet is defective. I changed mine out to a non-GFCI.

klindgren

Confirming that you can in fact change "just the outlet". I've done this twice - once for my own and once for another person. That said, I doubt the outlet is defective. I changed mine out to a non-GFCI.
Thanks Jim. First thing I want to do is try resetting the GFI with shore power shut off to see if that will work. Then I'll go from there, but changing to a non-gfi outlet is certainly an idea to pursue if I need to replace the outlet.

jbeletti

Thanks Jim. First thing I want to do is try resetting the GFI with shore power shut off to see if that will work. Then I'll go from there, but changing to a non-gfi outlet is certainly an idea to pursue if I need to replace the outlet.
I agree Keith - trying to reset it is step one. If it is tripped and resets okay - great. If it will not reset, try unplugging the transfer switch from the outlet and reset it. If it still wont reset, it's bad.

If it resets, you take a trip with the RV and it trips again, time to look at other potential causes - and that will drive you nuts. Did me!

If you end up deciding to replace the outlet with a non-GFCI one, that's your decision and not a recommendation of Heartland. If you want to chat by phone - don't hesitate to call me.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can unplug the Transfer Switch from the Inverter and plug it into a extension cord from a park pedestal and see if everything is working from there on. That would tell you where to look next or not to look. :)
Happy New year Keith

jbeletti

You can unplug the Transfer Switch from the Inverter and plug it into a extension cord from a park pedestal and see if everything is working from there on. That would tell you where to look next or not to look. :)
Happy New year Keith

Great suggestion. That will test whether the issue is transfer switch related or inverter side related.

NWILSON

Happy New year Keith
That is an excellent idea for testing!
I'd like to add that it's very important that an extension cord of adequate size (12ga wire would be plenty for a 50' cord) as the compressor will pull around 10 amps for starting. It doesn't take much to turn on the light but too small of wire can be harmful to the compressor.