Dishwasher install in our Big Country 3650RL

MCTalley

We picked up a countertop dishwasher late last fall with the intention of eventually building it in. We used it as a countertop for a while to make sure we'd like it before committing to permanent installation. I got around to that task the past few days now that the holidays are behind us.

First of all, we picked up an EdgeStar DWP62SV countertop unit from Amazon (link here). It had 4 1/2 stars (out of 5) on Amazon and only cost about $265. We've been pleased with it as a countertop unit.

On our 3650RL, there is a bar area to the right of the refrigerator that backs up to the bathroom. We did some measuring and determined that we could install the dishwasher through the wall and it would just fit inside the lower bathroom cabinet area (the one next to the toilet that it difficult to get into. From there we removed the decorative backsplash and I started cutting through the wall and into the cabinet behind.

i-NXjV9Ls-L.jpg

Once I cleared the various pieces of wood in the opening, I built a base to put inside the bathroom cabinet since the countertop was about 11" above the bathroom floor. Then I slid the dishwasher back into the hole for a test fit.

i-zJm9pVH-L.jpg

Here is a view from the back showing the base. I installed an L bracket to one of the existing screws on the dishwasher to tie the unit down. Gravity and moldings around the unit shored it up the rest of the way.

i-RfpDx9s-L.jpg

Note that we needed about an inch and a half of the upper cabinet for clearance, so I removed the bottom shelf of that cabinet and later re-installed it above the dishwasher.

i-gqjr5xT-L.jpg

I drilled through the floor of the cabinet to drop the utilities for the dishwasher down into the basement. The power plug was a 90 degree unit and was just a bit too big to fit through a smaller (1 inch) hole. The only other hole saw I had was 2 1/2", so that was somewhat overkill, but I wasn't going to run to the hardware store for another hole saw since I was just going to end up filling the hole with expanding foam anyway.

i-JrQ2vvK-L.jpg

The dishwasher uses hot water only for a water feed. I tapped into our hot water circuit in the basement with a Sharkbite tee and used a Sharkbite shutoff valve that could be mounted to a flat surface. I mounted it to the ceiling of the basement. We purchased a 4 foot stainless washing machine hose to run from the shutoff to the dishwasher water input since it was a standard 3/4" hose connection.

i-vDCdSBq-L.jpg

For power, I tapped off one of the circuits in the basement that happens to be the GFCI circuit. I ran some 14/3 cable to an outlet in a junction box and plugged the dishwasher into that (not pictured). We reused the dishwasher drain line which terminated in a 1/2 inch compression fitting. I bought a 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch compression fitting, drilled a hole in the drain line from our shower and screwed the fitting tightly into the PVC. A generous amount of clear silicone was added to insure a watertight seal. Then I just connected the dishwasher drain line to the fitting.

Yes, I know this is probably a terrible way to hook it up and if this were in a house, it would be some type of major code violation. Suggestions for a better method will be entertained. (For now, though, it doesn't leak, doesn't shoot water into our shower and seems to drain properly).

i-jTFzSjL-L.jpg

With everything hooked up, I filled the holes through the floor with expanding foam. I had to remount the lower bathroom cabinet door on regular hinges because the adjustable hinges that are standard on the cabinet protruded just enough inside to prevent pushing the dishwasher in (there was that little clearance).

We removed the arched decorative piece over the opening in the cabinets and added a shelf above the dishwasher, so we actually gained storage space in that area even though the dishwasher takes a little more than half of the lower counter space away.

i-zn53hXm-L.jpg

All in all, we like it. We lost a little storage in the bathroom, but gained some shelf/counter space in the kitchen.

lynndiwagoner

Good job. On the drain connection.....I did the same thing on the drain from the pan that is underneath my washer/dryer. There's no pressure on it, and you sealed it up real good so I see no problem.

Garypowell

When I did mine I also hooked it into the shower drain. I simply cut the 1 1/2 inch line and put a T in. Several reduction fittings later it was sealed.

because of the plumbing mods, that I am not good at, I also put a plastic pan under it all with a water leak detector in the pan.

After 6 years not a problem.....the dishwasher, which is a previous model to yours has worked flawlessly.

I like your setup.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very ingenious mod! Thanks for the detailed pics. We don't have a similar bath setup, so I don't see us making the same mod. But I like to hear that the dishwasher you chose is doing well. I've been contemplating one. Where did you set it up to use it prior to the built-in mod?

MCTalley

Prior to installing it permanently, we had it on top of the end of our kitchen island (next to the sink). To accommodate the supplied water/drain supply for countertop use, we had to temporarily replace our pull-down faucet with a more simple Delta model that had a standard screw-off aerator. We've reinstalled our nice pull-down faucet now that the dishwasher is mounted permanently.

i-6nL2MLd-L.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Prior to installing it permanently, we had it on top of the end of our kitchen island (next to the sink). To accommodate the supplied water/drain supply for countertop use, we had to temporarily replace our pull-down faucet with a more simple Delta model that had a standard screw-off aerator. We've reinstalled our nice pull-down faucet now that the dishwasher is mounted permanently.

i-6nL2MLd-L.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I like, we have one under the sink (tight squeeze) but has performed great for 3 yrs now