SOLVED: Automatic Transfer Switch intermittent chatter (it was the converter fan)

We have a Progressive Dynamics Model PD52DCS ATS in our 2012 Cyclone 3612. It has begun to chatter intermittently while on shore power. At the moment it is not making a sound, but will probably begin to chatter later. Is it going bad? It is only two years old.

danemayer

Re: Automatic Transfer Switch intermittent chatter

It might be going bad, but before you reach that conclusion, you should check the voltage coming into the switch. L1 has to be above 105V for the contactor to actuate and stay actuated. A problem at the pedestal, or a shore power cord that's not fully seated at the trailer end, or a loose connector could all be causing this.

Check the shore power cord first. If you've got a volt meter, check the pedestal. If you feel you can safely check inside the transfer switch, do that after the easy checks.

Our Electrical User Guide has pictures and diagrams that will help. It's in this folder.

wdk450

By any chance do you have low voltage to the transfer switch? This would make the relay drop out, the shedding of load would bring the voltage to the relay back up, the relay re-engages, and you have a very expensive simple buzzer. Wiring connection/resistance problems in the feed to the relay might be causing a voltage drop though you measure good voltage from the sources.

If you find the problem, I would recommend you burnish the relay contacts and treat them with Caig DeOxIt contact restorer/cleaner. The contacts have probably been degraded by the arcing.

If this doesn't check out, give Progressive Dynamics a call and see if they have some sort of reduced price exchange program.

Good Luck!!!

On Edit:
I just noted your username: "Buzzworthy"!!!! Kinda goes with the problem.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

It is not unheard of for screws to work loose on the relays inside the transfer switch. With shore power disconnected and generator off, open the cover of the transfer switch. One at a time LOOSEN the screws holding each of the large wires in place on the black relays and work that wire out of it's connector. There is a screw in the bottom of each connector that holds the relay contact in place. Make sure this screw is secure then reinstall the wire and tighten it's retaining screw. Do this for each of the wires connected to the relays. Then check each of the screws elsewhere in the transfer switch for security.
Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find!

Problem fixed! As I was checking connections in the ATS, I determined the clicking was not coming from the transfer switch at all. It was coming from the power converter near by. When they put the converter in, the battery leads to the converter got wedged in behind the converter box, twisting the box slightly. This caused the little cooling fan to be a little off kilter I guess, and the fan was making contact with something in there. So I pulled the battery leads out from behind the box, and I guess the box straightened up and the fan operated smoothly.

Thanks for the information on the transfer switch though, all information is helpful.

Buzzworthy