Yahoo.....Truck door locks that freeze up!!!!

NYSUPstater

Went to unlock the doors on truck the other day and3 of 4 unlocked. Odd I thought, so unlock last door from inside and didn't think anything more of it until today. Get home from work and it's 7* out and go to unlock the doors and NOTHING! Not 1 would unlock! WTH?????? Call dealer up after I woke up and he said "We were hoping you wouldn't have problems". Guess Ford is having some serious issues w/ the alum use in doors and moisture causing the problem as well as door latches not working right. From what dealer told me, Ford tried a couple fixes but didn't work and now have another which so far so good. Bad part is that it requires them to have truck for whole day, remove all door panels do whatever they have to do and re-install panels.

So while the use of alum may be a good idea for one thing, isn't such a good idea for another.

jbeletti

I have a 2017 Ford SuperDuty and have not had this issue. On one hand, yours would seem to be an isolated incident. On the other hand, all of your doors? Seems odd. Hope they figure something out. You might want to do some Internet searching to find out how prevalent this might be and what fixes others have come up with.

travlingman

Everyone should have got a letter from Ford about it. It is customer satisfaction program "18N03". According to the letter it is less than a half day to fix. Letter came out in December.

jnbhobe

Lots of talk about it on FTE site I haven't read it, my truck is in the warm garage in storage.

rhodies1

Well Chevy is using aluminum on their trucks as well now so it will be interesting to see if they have the same issue.

Sniper

Freezing, or a thermal expansion problem ? Just wondering.
According to the letter I received from Ford in December, it states "frozen door latches". It goes on to say the fix is to install additional sealing to doors and door latches. :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a 2017 Ford SuperDuty and have not had this issue. On one hand, yours would seem to be an isolated incident. On the other hand, all of your doors? Seems odd. Hope they figure something out. You might want to do some Internet searching to find out how prevalent this might be and what fixes others have come up with.
I recieved the letter end of last year. My dealer said I didn't need to worry about in my area but I might still make him do the fix.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ksucats

Jess: I'm going the guess that the Dealer forgot that we take these things to cold places (the mountains, parts colder than where you are, high deserts, weird weather bringing record cold to places not accustomed to such, etc.) I'd have them do the process if they can just in case. I can't think of much worse than needing your truck and not being able to get into it -- BRRRRR.