Bedroom slide Bed plugs

relic57

There are two plugs on the bed one on each side. We had a small heater plugged into one and it just stopped. Checked the two plugs with my tester and no power. I checked all the breakers and fuses and still cannot get them to work. Checked the GFCI's also all work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

sengli

Because the wiring that feeds those to AC outlets, gets pulled in and out every time that slide is extended and retracted. I would bet the wires have either, broke or have come loose from their wire nutted connections under the bed. Remove the mattress, and the plywood and the wiring will be right there. There will be +12vdc wiring, if your slide is electric... and the AC power wires under there.

mlpeloquin

It may also be that the hot lead pulled out of the insulation displacement contact in the socket itself.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Boy, that set up would worry me.

Problems with the wires under the bed goes way back. As a result of posts by others, many of us have checked them and made sure they were not being trapped or obstructed when the bed slide moves. Especially if the bed slide is hydraulic since that required a large metal support frame under the bed platform.

Lou_and_Bette

When we first bought ours, one of the bed platform plug ins did not work. Ended up taking mattress off, removed OSB that forms mattress platform and found junction box in that space. Durning manufacturing process, they tied 3 hot wires, three neutral wires and 3 ground wires together using wire nuts. They did not twist wires together before placing wire nut and, as a result, one of the hot wires came out of the bundle and that plug in wasn’t working. Perhaps you have a similar situation but the main hot wire has lost contact with the wires going to the plugs. You need to check that junction box.

relic57

Found the problem, took off the osb panel and the junction box was right there. Right away I saw the neutral wires were fried. Plus there was no cover on the box, nor was the box mounted. This box has the main power coming in with one wire going to the dresser side on the other side of the Rv for a plug, and one wire going to a junction box which was mounted and had a cover on it, going to the two plugs on the bed side. Also noticed right away the wire going to the box for the bed plugs Is braided. A no no i hope, It should have been solid wire. Any way cleaned everything up and did not connect the braided wire back, I will have to get a piece of reg 14/3 wire for that. This was a fire waiting to happen pics below of the box. Thanks everyone for all your help. Dave Gerber

Attachments

• IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 42

rhodies1

Be careful mounting this box solid under the bed. It must have movement/ clearance for the bed system to move in and out. If you secure is incorrectly it will tear apart when the bed moves in our out.Yes it should have a cover on it. I would move bed platform in and out to see where and if it can be mounted securely,Chances are the wires are to short to allow it to go in and out with the bed.Ask me how I know.. same problem you currently have found"".......

John T Bettencourt

My Landmark almost burnt while I was in bed the wire the the front side of the bed was way to short and when the slide moved in and out it wore though the wire. It started smoking one night while we were in bad. Scared the **** out of me. Fixed it with a longer wire. Heartland must have saved about 75 cents by using the shorter wire crazy.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Also noticed right away the wire going to the box for the bed plugs Is braided. A no no i hope, It should have been solid wire.
If this box/braided wire is in a slide under your bed then it will have a braided wire to handle the movement of the slide going in and out. A solid wire is not meant for flexing movement. Braided wire is.

Peace
Dave

SNOKING

It is always best to not run heavy load items like heaters from outlets in slides. To many connections and longer runs. However most fireplaces are located in slides!! Chris