Hello STREAMING

bigdon68

After 8 years of Dish Network service and a lot of frustration I shut down my satellite service.

I am now using my laptop and streaming whatever TV content I want. With the HD TV antenna that we have-- the local programming is pretty well covered. In addition most campgrounds we stay at have cable so there is another source. Specific football and baseball games as well as golf and network programming I can get through streaming.

Love it. Cable companies are going to have to be creative as to not loose customers to streaming. In our case, with Xfinity, our home cable service, provides streaming as part of the package.

Don't you just love technology.

bigdon68

bigdon68

We have an ATT Velocity hotspot that we use. It works great and gives the added luxury that it is portable. Just put it in your pocket and you have WiFi anywhere.

It it works very well. Better option than something like the Mobley or your phone.

Enjoy 2019 RVing. We sure will.

Bigdon68

orion7144

I tried the streaming last season and while it was OK in most places, I often hit the cap or the speed was reduced making anything other than checking email or surfing intolerable. A lot of times we could not even stream in SD. This was with Tmobile and ATT. I bought a 4g signal booster that helped with speeds in remote areas but once that network throttling kicks in there is nothing that can fix that (well you can pay more). Watching a single HD stream of a football game will easily hit ~4gb.

wdk450

Sprint has an unlimited data, data speeds not throttled by useage, cellular hotspot data plan through the FMCA. There is a note of possible data throttling in times of system data congestion, in a special deal for members of FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association). Towable RV owners are now welcome in FMCA. This plan( or the 25 Gb throttled Verizon plan) are worth the minimum 2 year membership to FMCA. Both plans are priced at $49.99 a month. I have the Verizon plan, was previously paying $80 a month for 6GB (?) of data. I am thinking of moving to the Sprint plan.

Click on "Tech Benefits" on this page: https://www.fmca.com/rv-discount-clubs-benefits Per previously posted user reviews RVers have used Sprint for streaming TV.

orion7144

Right now I have the Verizon Jetpack for $17 a month (normally a $20 add on to the new unlimited plans) with the military discount. You really cant beat the new verizon plans especially for veterans. That is why I switched last month from Tmobile.
This is the $20 hotspot plan "4G LTE only. After 15GB, during times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps after 15 GB/mo "
With that and the 2 phones we have on our account I am covered now. But I prefer to use the dish and just use the DATA for the occasional movie and surfing.

cbramsey

We have an Amazon Fire TV that we have connected to an HDMI cable on our TV. For Internet, we are members of Family Motor Coach Association which gives us the ability to rent a MiFi through Sprint for $49.99 a month which allows for unlimited data with NO throttling. The FireTV allows us to access Amazon Prime Video as well as DirectvNOW. We also have an HD Over The Air antenna for local stations.

CDN

B and B
Does anyone's plan allow streaming while roaming in Canada? We do not have any deals like that cup here. We have a MiFi we use in the States but a permanent solution might be better. Most rural areas we travel have 4G minimum data and LTE in more areas all the time.

Alan_B

... In our case, with Xfinity, our home cable service, provides streaming as part of the package....

bigdon68

We also use the Xfinity Stream app, although streaming live TV shows doesn't work so well. We usually get error messages saying that we need to be connected to our home WIFI to stream live TV. The Xfinity Stream app works fine to show their On Demand (pre-recorded) content. So instead of watching a show live on Monday night, we end up watching it On Demand Tuesday night.

And we sometimes stream TV and movies via the Amazon Prime Video app.