Automatic Regulator malfunction?

Nes002

A couple weeks back we had the unfortunate experience of running out of propane on a night that got down into the twenties. Fortunately we had an electric heater and the heat raises up into the bedroom so it wasn’t unbearable. Earlier in the day both triangles in the automatic regulator were green but late that evening the water wasn’t hot so I checked the indicator again and both triangles were red. Twisting the selector didn’t change anything. Went the next morning and filled both tanks and confirmed they were empty. Not wanted to experience that again I purchased the AP Products propane tank level indicators so I can check the level of each tank using the App on my phone. Now that the sensors are installed, it is clear that both tanks are being drained simultaneously as one is at 55% and the other at 53%. Has anyone experienced this with an automatic regulator?

LBR

Was the selector right in berween the fore and aft positions of the selector knob?

Nes002

LBR - Think I’m going to have to eat my words and agree that you were correct. I certainly thought the selector wasn’t in the middle but us8ng the Mopeka sensors I can confirm that only one tank is going down so I must have had it centered before. Good call.

LBR

LBR - Think I’m going to have to eat my words and agree that you were correct. I certainly thought the selector wasn’t in the middle but us8ng the Mopeka sensors I can confirm that only one tank is going down so I must have had it centered before. Good call.
Congrats. That symptom of drawing down both tanks equally is most often because the selector is close to centered, rather than fore or aft. Now the pressure is on....you have no excuse to ever run out of propane again...LOL!

I have had issues with mine not wanting to switch once a tank gets empty. I will have to go switch it manually.
Why does that always happen at night in the rain?

danemayer

I have had issues with mine not wanting to switch once a tank gets empty. I will have to go switch it manually.
Why does that always happen at night in the rain?
Auto switch over seems like a great idea until it's 3 AM and below 0 when both tanks are empty.

mlpeloquin

I never run both tanks at the same time. I remember the fire guy saying not to at the Goshen rally, and do not remember the reason. I do use the Tank level detector and have always suspected a leak. I have used a lot of propane and tested for it and could not smell it. Just running the refrigerator while traveling used up an entire tank get getting to Ohio from California. This is been going on ever since we purchased the Big Horn. I even had our independent repair business check for a leak. When we got to Massachusetts we were low on one tank again. So I purchased an electronic propane leak detector. Takes several minuets waving it around to get it to the most sensitive setting. Well it only took two minuets to find the leak. Check with soap bubbles, and checked with the commercial propane leak bubble stuff and no leak. Went to the hardware store and got some pipe dope. The leak was in the water heater propane connection. It was so sensitive I was able to find the exact spot, not just the connection. Applied a small amount of pipe dope around the compression fitting and snugged the connection up. NO more leak. We used 80% of one tank, including the furnace for seven nights on the way back. This included going to Florida, ten days, and Alabama for five days. Had to start using the furnace in Alabama, Texas, New Mexico (31 degrees), Arizona, Los Vegas for five days, and back home. So check your propane lines. You may have a leak. If you cannot pressure test them, get an electronic leak detector. They really work.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will give it a try!
Thanks!

I have the inside monitor. Don't need it. Use the app on a smart phone. It will tell you the percentage of the propane in the tank. I also use my phone to see if I positioned the sensor properly before I put the tank back in after refilling. So save money and just order two sensors. Make sure you get good replacement batteries. The Dollar store ones are not alkaline and do not last but a few days. Home Depot has them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I always open one tank only. When it runs out, I can go out in the cold and rain and simply switch tanks, taking the empty tank out so I'm reminded to refill it in the morning. This method has worked for us for years of full timing.