Inverter Transfer Switch Install Question

LBR

Good morning to all of the inverter/transfer switch/solar DIY installers here! While I spend all my time here reading and posting to help others, I find that I need one major question answered for my immediate project at hand before cutting into the main wire feed to the breaker panel.

This involves a dedicated 3000W PS inverter located in the front electrical/hydraulic compartment, and it's dedicated PD-52 50A transfer switch that I need to cut into the main shore power feed very near the main breaker panel.

This is the existing description of the main feed wire from shore plug to breaker panel:

1) Factory installed PD52 transfer switch for the shore plug / generator selection.

2) My original install of a Progressive Industries 50A HW EMS next to it (no extra feed wire between these 2).

3) Main feed wire then goes to the breaker panel. This is where I plan to install my PD52 transfer switch since I have ~3' of extra feed wire to cut into.

Now my question: with the 3' extra feed wire available between the EMS and my main breaker panel now, should I keep the wire as short as possible from the 50A EMS to this new PD52?....in effect leaving the excess wire between PD52 and breaker panel. Or the other way around?

Am a bit embarrassed for not studying the solar projects enough to know if any solar needs be tied in "upstream or downstream" from this inverter transfer switch on the main feeder.

This is a whole-house inverter install and I understand all the caveats involved with such, but just lacking the solar install knowledge to allow extra feed wire on the proper side of this transfer switch....which side would you DIYers leave the extra wire on?.....Thanx!!

Oregon_Camper

Lets see if I have this correct.

Shore line in....wired to TS #1. Generator is also wired into TS #1. From that (single line out) you have your EMS. Output of EMS goes to breaker panel.

Note...if this is correct, I would suggest you put your EMS before TS #1. The shore power is the problem with highs/lows...generally not your generator.

Second TS

You're looking to add TS #2, in order to wire in an inverter? Correct??

Do you already have the inverter? If not, you should look into a combo unit (I have the GoPower IC2000...but I'd go with IC3000 now)

Not sure why the 3 feet of cable between the systems is in question. Can you simply get more wire and then cut to exact length needed?

Solar
No real impact to the TS or Inverter. The solar wiring from roof will come down to controller (recommend Victron MPPT) and from there, it will be wired directly (with fuse) to your battery bank. Battery bank will then have separate wire going to Inverter.

Does that help?

BTW...If you want help from others, that do Bookdocking and Solar, you can join my new Solar Powered RV's and Boondocking Facebook Group page.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my current power layout...hope it helps some.

3160EL Power Distribution.jpg

LBR

Lets see if I have this correct.

Shore line in....wired to TS #1. Generator is also wired into TS #1. From that (single line out) you have your EMS. Output of EMS goes to breaker panel.

Note...if this is correct, I would suggest you put your EMS before TS #1. The shore power is the problem with highs/lows...generally not your generator.

Second TS

You're looking to add TS #2, in order to wire in an inverter? Correct??

Do you already have the inverter? If not, you should look into a combo unit (I have the GoPower IC2000...but I'd go with IC3000 now)

Not sure why the 3 feet of cable between the systems is in question. Can you simply get more wire and then cut to exact length needed?

Solar
No real impact to the TS or Inverter. The solar wiring from roof will come down to controller (recommend Victron MPPT) and from there, it will be wired directly (with fuse) to your battery bank. Battery bank will then have separate wire going to Inverter.

Does that help?

BTW...If you want help from others, that do Bookdocking and Solar, you can join my new Solar Powered RV's and Boondocking Facebook Group page.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my current power layout...hope it helps some.

View attachment 60785

Thank you Jim...

You had everything correct and answered my question...I was not sure if solar may need another device spliced into the main feed line for some reason...so answer is no and I'm a happyhappyhappy camper. I had looked high and low for your exacting diagram you provided , to no avail finding it previously....will screen-shoot it for my RV folder!

I installed the EMS in that spot so it can catch both shore power or generator issues.

Just now requested to join Brian Boone's FB page.....Thanx again for your help!!