Van wiring

KyleC

Hey guys. My running lights are intermittent at best(they come on every 6th time crank)lol. I hooked up with my truck and no problems. So I know it's the van. It is an 08 Ford E-150. The electric
brakes work. Brake lights and blinkers all work. Just spotty running lights.

Last trip they came on as I pulled back in my neighborhood......

How do I begin to troubleshoot?

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Kyle,

If you have a 7-pin connector, you might need to check pin 3 at upper left looking at the truck connector. If it's corroded or has a loose contact, the running lights would be intermittent.

7-way.jpg

danemayer

You should be able to unplug the trailer from the truck's connector, and inspect the connector pins without taking anything apart.

KyleC

Okay thanks for all the info. I hope to get under there this week. Hope to get it fixed before the Louisiana rally in natchitoches!

Kyle

KyleC

Okay, update...
After using contact cleaner and buying a test light. I've determined that the van is sending the signal for running lights at the 7way. So I plug in the camper and nothing. The blinkers work and brake lights, but still no running lights.

The seven way on the trailer side goes into a junction box under the dual propane tanks. (Is this stock?) Looks like a residential metal box with a metal cover.
This is the style box.
https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industri...box+and+cover&qid=1552188848&s=gateway&sr=8-1

What color is the running light wire?

I will send better pictures in the A.M.

Kyle

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the cover from that electrical box and inspect the wire splices. The wires are wire nutted and should be wrapped with some tape.
Running light wire is green.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• 7pole.jpg
    7pole.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 12

KyleC

Okay traced it all the way back through the pigtail on the camper into the junction box. The green light is hot coming from the harness. But when I connected to the green and white to send a signal to the camper the test light doesn't pick anything up.. when I untwist the wire nut and separate the two the green still has power...
Any thoughts?

Kyle

RDsStudio59

Are you connecting the green to the white?Shouldn't be. Verify the ground circuit is good at the trailer from the vehicle battery.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KyleC

Thanks. The green was connected to a green with a white stripe on the camper end. I would assume the grounds are all correct because the blinkers and brakes signals work just not running lights

Kyle

RDsStudio59

Thanks. The green was connected to a green with a white stripe on the camper end. I would assume the grounds are all correct because the blinkers and brakes signals work just not running lights

Kyle
Not necessarily. If the ground is open or has high resistance the brake and turn lights can back feed through the tail (running) lamp circuit to ground.

NP_Chief

Not necessarily. If the ground is open or has high resistance the brake and turn lights can back feed through the tail (running) lamp circuit to ground.

To test the ground, you're gonna need a volt meter instead of a test light. When you say running lights, are you talking about the amber ones on the front and side of the trailer? If so, you might check the bulbs and connections at the lights in front. I have seen these run in series... Like Christmas lights where the power is run through the lights so, if on goes out, the ones behind it loose power.

KyleC

All the bulbs were working fine when they come on. Problem is, it's also the tail lights that don't come on, not just the roof Amber.

I Can get a voltmeter today from my neighbor. Could you tell me what I'm checking for and how to check it?

Again,. I love this app. Thank you all for your knowledge! I'm a builder by trade I can do anything on a house, but this is proving to be a whole different animal!

Kyle

RDsStudio59

I'm on the road right now but I can try to help you out a little later.

KyleC

Okay adding the wrinkle back in there... When I hooked my work truck to the camper, I plugged the 7-way plug in. after remembering to twist the wire nut back together everything works fine... So it's got to be the van but I don't know what else to check?

Kyle

NP_Chief

Crazy question... Did you try the van after twisting them back together? You may have fixed your issue by redoing the connection.