Possible upgrade to longer 5th wheel

orion7144

Our original dealer sent us an email with year end close outs and they have a left over 2018 Bighorn 3870FB for 45% off MSRP. I called our salesman and they still have it. Out of curiosity I asked for a trade in number and was expecting the worst. The number they came back with made doing the upgrade hard to pass up. We went and looked at it late yesterday and it does need a lot of TLC before delivery. It has lots of (what appears to be) glue residue on the wood trim, broken trim piece on the half bath, missing vent cover, and very dirty roof edges. Overall it just looked dirty from sitting for a year. Will find out later today if we have a deal since I asked for a bit more on the trade or for them to include slide toppers.

My only concern is the 43' length compared to our current 36' and the difference in towing it. I have recently upgrade the TV to a DRW so I am not concerned about that.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Just remember the longer trailer means you have to pull out a little further before starting to make your turn. As long as you remember you've got a big honker behind you, it 43' vs 36' should not be much of a problem. Same thing with backing into a camping spot. I try my best to always find a pull thru spot but when you have to back in, just remember to start turning then straighten, then turn some more, etc. Practice in a parking lot whenever you get the chanch. Good Luck on getting your new rig. Hopefully your dealer will get all the PDI items fixed before you take your new baby home.

sengli

Where did you used to camp with your current RV? Can you see yourself going to that same place with this longer rig? Thats quite a jump, size does matter. It will limit where you go. Does your tow vehicle have the capacity for the extra pin weight?

orion7144

Where did you used to camp with your current RV? Can you see yourself going to that same place with this longer rig? Thats quite a jump, size does matter. It will limit where you go. Does your tow vehicle have the capacity for the extra pin weight?

We upgraded our TV to a 2019 F450 just hours before we received this email. So must be meant to be ;)

NYSUPstater

We went from a 35' to 41' and no problem. Sadly tho, a year after we got the RV, had to upgrade to a DRW truck. Now even longer!! My wife will drive things, but she pretty much is on interstate. She wants to learn or do it from time we leave to set up at CG. So don't think you'll have a prob at all. Like AP said, just beware of turns. Rule of thumb from my fire dep't days is start turning when your 1/2 way out into the road or when steer tires are at that point. Worst case senerio, make a wide turn but beware of anyone who may cut on inside. Same problem semi driver's face.

mlpeloquin

Stay to the center of the right turn lane and go out as stated 50% of the lane you are turning on. Add a "This Vehicle Makes Wide Turns" to the back of your new fiver. https://www.amazon.com/Caution-Wide...=B01DEEBOXU&psc=1&refRID=7266ESEF1CADZKVY11VX You can always remove it later when you are comfortable. I had only one, with my almost 35' fifth wheel, try and squeak by. Heard his horn as he went up the curb. All this after I had just started my turn and had looked out the right side mirror.

david-steph2018

Here is a decal we placed on our Road Warrior. Mark and Linda Comer made this for us and they put it on for us. Contact them, they will be at the Rally.

They do a great job making these. You won't go wrong having them make it for you

Attachments

• rear view 2.jpg
    rear view 2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 78
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 58

pegmikef

Now even longer!! My wife will drive things, but she pretty much is on interstate. She wants to learn or do it from time we leave to set up at CG.

My wife used to drive our F350 DRW and 35 foot Big Horn, but now in Texas to be legal with our Landmark the driver needs a Class A license which she doesn't have and I am not sure it is worth while to have her do all the studying need for the test (similar to commercial license) and then take the driving test pulling the trailer through the center of town. I now do all the towing.

8404fmfvet

My wife used to drive our F350 DRW and 35 foot Big Horn, but now in Texas to be legal with our Landmark the driver needs a Class A license which she doesn't have and I am not sure it is worth while to have her do all the studying need for the test (similar to commercial license) and then take the driving test pulling the trailer through the center of town. I now do all the towing.
You have to have a class A to tow a 5th wheel in TX?

8404fmfvet

Its a non-commercial class A.
I never even knew about this. So if you actually have a CDL does it matter? I read up on this and it sounds like I wont have an issue since I do in fact have a class B CDL but man it was a surprise to read what you need to be legal to drive with a 5th wheel depending on what state your in.

NYSUPstater

Sounds like a in state resident thing. If so, it's nuts! BUT in saying that, I also think it's nuts an ave joe can go out and buy a 45' DP and tow a 20'-30' trailer behind them w/o a special license or training. Same goes for window tint laws. Ihere in NY it's illegal to have it on vehicles registered in NY (but you till see it on them), but if you are here visiting from another state w/o a window tint law, don't think you can be ticketed.

So if your visiting Texas (example, say we are), my wife is driving, don't think she can be ticketed cuz we are from outta state. Am I wrong on this?

RickL

Sounds like a in state resident thing. If so, it's nuts! BUT in saying that, I also think it's nuts an ave joe can go out and buy a 45' DP and tow a 20'-30' trailer behind them w/o a special license or training. Same goes for window tint laws. Ihere in NY it's illegal to have it on vehicles registered in NY (but you till see it on them), but if you are here visiting from another state w/o a window tint law, don't think you can be ticketed.

So if your visiting Texas (example, say we are), my wife is driving, don't think she can be ticketed cuz we are from outta state. Am I wrong on this?

While this is only my opinion, if you hold a license and are a resident of another state your state laws dictate what license requirements you fall under. Example, in OK I don’t need anything BUT a class D to drive my truck/5th wheel (as long as it’s a recreational vehicle). Also, I was stopped in Iowa a few years back and the trooper checked my window tint. He said I dint comply with OK tint laws, which I disagreed with, and told me if I get stopped again in Iow I would get a non compliance ticket.

avvidclif

It's actually fairly simple. If your DL license issued by your state of residence is valid for whatever rv/combo you are driving/pulling you are good in all states. Many states have different requirements for different combinations that are NOT commercially used, IE: an RV. Some have a special license just for RV's BUT their requirements only apply to their residents. Some states don't require a special license to operate an RV no matter the weight. As long as it is not done commercially.

A CDL is a Commercial Drivers License that is required to operate a commercial vehicle. It is valid in all 50 states to standardize licensing FOR COMMERCIAL drivers. It is not required to drive/pull an RV but it does cover them.

How can you have a Non-Commercial Commercial Drivers License?

danemayer

As I read through the links, I don't see where it would prevent an Oklahoma licensee from getting ticketed in Texas. But it might protect the driver from having Oklahoma enforce the violation on behalf of Texas.

But if you ignore the Texas ticket, you best not go back to Texas at a later date.

Fortunately, this is all a relatively minor concern at present as the Texas law doesn't seem to get enforced at all.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you have a Non-Commercial Commercial Drivers License?

Texas offers a Class A Commercial Drivers License, and a Class A Non-Commercial Drivers License. The difference a few years ago was something like $24 in fees for a 4 year license. The test was the same. The non-commercial doesn't require a medical exam.

I paid the extra fee and got the Class A CDL. Later, they asked for a medical exam, but allowed me to opt out by declaring that I wasn't engaged in Interstate Commerce.

When I moved to Colorado, they explained that CO has no Class A Non-Commercial license. And if I wanted the Class A Commercial, they required a medical exam annually. So I no longer hold a Class A of any kind.

NP_Chief

Dan is right... I know in Georgia, if you are from a state that isn't part of the compact, and get cited for something, it's possible that you will have to post a cash bond (pay the ticket) before they will let you go.

On the other hand, if you do get let go and don't pay the ticket, might want to avoid Georgia (or at least avoid the police).

avvidclif

Texas offers a Class A Commercial Drivers License, and a Class A Non-Commercial Drivers License. The difference a few years ago was something like $24 in fees for a 4 year license. The test was the same. The non-commercial doesn't require a medical exam.

I paid the extra fee and got the Class A CDL. Later, they asked for a medical exam, but allowed me to opt out by declaring that I wasn't engaged in Interstate Commerce.

When I moved to Colorado, they explained that CO has no Class A Non-Commercial license. And if I wanted the Class A Commercial, they required a medical exam annually. So I no longer hold a Class A of any kind.

Texas has a Class A and a Class A CDL. As I said there is no Non-Commercial Commercial Drivers License. That would be a contradiction.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm