Brakes on BIGHORN 3760 5er

3760EL

Has anyone had a problem with manually locking the brakes on trailer while moving slowly to check brakes ? Just had wheel bearings packed and brakes inspected. They are self adjusting. Brake shoes and magnets are perfect but with gain set at 10 still can't slide tires in gravel. Out put from truck checked out good. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I’m planning a Disc Brake install on mine in Goshen in June.
I have same problem.
If you can, have Disc Brakes installed, huge difference in stopping ability.
That will be the best money you can spend on your Bighorn.
I installed Disc’s on my Big Country, best upgrade that I had done.

Hockster

CDN

B and B
Has anyone had a problem with manually locking the brakes on trailer while moving slowly to check brakes ? Just had wheel bearings packed and brakes inspected. They are self adjusting. Brake shoes and magnets are perfect but with gain set at 10 still can't slide tires in gravel. Out put from truck checked out good. Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds like a issue with a bad brake controller or wiring. If you pull the breakaway does this lock up the brakes? This will clear the magnets, brake wiring from the pin box back.

RoadJunkie

Is your brake controller integrated to your truck? What type of truck. Some discussions have pointed out that some integrated units don't function at lower (<5mph) speeds. I also would not rely on self adjusting brakes being adjusted properly. Lift your unit and check the adjustments on each wheel. That's all.

sengli

When I had a lighter fifth wheel like under 10k pounds, I could lock the wheels up on gravel. Now with these larger, and heavier rigs, not so much. About the only time my brakes are really grabby, is when they have sat for period of time and are rusty. Otherwise, my integrated brake controller in my RAM3500, needs settings in the 6-8 range. And even then barley locks the wheels in loose gravel. When the brakes are wet from rain, they are a joke!

danemayer

You didn't mention changing the brake shoes, but if that was done, the new ones may need to go through a break-in procedure.

esscobra

I have a 3760 - I do however have the upgraded 8k axles which have bigger brakes- I keep integrated gm brake controller at 3, 3.5 max and it slows truck down - any higher and they are grabby and will lock - been same settings with 2 different trucks

orion7144

On my newer Ford there are low, medium, and high settings under the towing section. I could not get my traveler to lock on gravel till I put it on high and I run mine at 6.

3760EL

My truck is 2017 Ford F350 super duty with tow package. Have brake setting position on high and gain at 10. Will check break away to see if that works. Going to get serial no. off axles an contact Dexter Axles.
I want to thank everyone for their support.

wdk450

One of the Dexter articles I looked at online talks of testing at 20 mph for setting the controller for just going into brake lockup on gravel.

Some day we will have ABS systems on our trailer braking. The Kodiak disk brake rotors that MorRyde uses has the toothed wheel needed for an ABS wheel speed sensor.

jbeletti

How much trouble is it to convert to disc brakes from electric brakes?

It's quite a bit of effort to be honest.

- Replace brakes
- Run lines
- Install actuator
- Wire it all, plumb it all
- Bleed brakes, test drive

Most guys do this over a couple of days and just take their time. The pros to 2 RVs a day.

Or you can just call PTB and write the check :)

Gary521

The process is not too difficult. There are conversion kits available. Will take a few hours to complete.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How much trouble is it to convert to disc brakes from electric brakes?
I've done mine over a couple of days. I could have done it in less time but I wanted the job done the way I wanted it done.
I had a YouTube video of my install but YouTube flagged it as inappropriate and took it down. It was not inappropriate. Go figure.
It's not a difficult job and if you decide to tackle it yourself there are plenty on this forum that have done it and are willing to answer questions.

Peace
Dave

That’s interesting that uTube took your video down Dave.
I watched it several times when I installed Disc Brakes on my Big Country and found it very helpful.
I found nothing inappropriate, it’s a how to install Disc Brake video, which I thought was very well done.
That is a great loss to the DIY community, it’s a whole different crazy world out there today.
My thanks to you for having done the video, it helped me out.
On the new Bighorn I’m having PTB do the install at the Rally, don’t feel like crawling under these rigs anymore.

Hockster