Longer Queen Mattress in North Trail 33BKSS?

mackman

Hello! My name is Mackenzie and I recently upgraded to a North Trail 33BKSS ;)

My only downfall to camping is I am 6'6 and couldn't find any campers with a residential size queen mattress in it. Has anyone had any experience putting a bigger queen bed in their camper? I know it the end of the bed will hang off a bit (6 inches or so) but I'm hoping if I bought a foam mattress or something similar it will not droop over.

I do know they make bed extenders, but they are CRAZY expensive for what they are. Any ideas would be helpful.
The two mattresses I have been looking at are:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IU6RQW0/ref=psdc_3732981_t2_B016WJWC0S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016WJWC0S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CZZ9WARW492A&psc=1

Thanks in advance.

jbeletti

If you put in a longer mattress, you may have difficulty getting to the door-side of the bed. If you're okay just crawling over the bed to get to the door-side, should work out fine.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 9.26.49 AM.jpg

mackman

I'm going to go measure it out this weekend hopefully and see how close it'd be to the wall. That was my other concern too is that it would make walking around the bed difficult. It's no fun being tall! Haha

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If your handy or know someone that is you can replace part of the plywood under the mattress that covers the underbed storage with a longer piece to support the mattress.

You could also purchase a custom cut mattress that is longer than the Short queen but still a bit shorter than a regular residential mattress. If that helps with space at the foot of the bed.

Watch the height of the mattress if you have overhead cabinets over the mattress. You don't want to start your day with a headache.

NP_Chief

FWIW... Our rig had a standard queen mattress in the bedroom when we bought it. There was enough room to turn sideways and get around and the overhang wasn't bad. We replaced it with a short queen memory foam.

mackman

If your handy or know someone that is you can replace part of the plywood under the mattress that covers the underbed storage with a longer piece to support the mattress.

You could also purchase a custom cut mattress that is longer than the Short queen but still a bit shorter than a regular residential mattress. If that helps with space at the foot of the bed.

Watch the height of the mattress if you have overhead cabinets over the mattress. You don't want to start your day with a headache.

Yeah I may look into that option of a custom one or maybe just a little shorter than residential somewhere. Thanks for the quick response time.

Bogie

If you put in a longer mattress, you may have difficulty getting to the door-side of the bed. If you're okay just crawling over the bed to get to the door-side, should work out fine.

View attachment 61062

As Jim said....If your okay with the additional length, you can just extend the existing platform by adding a piece of 5/8" plywood. Cut a piece that will extend it back about 1 foot from the edge. For 6" overhang, you will need a 18" piece. Just screw it into the top of the existing platform. You might need to put a piece of backing ( like 3/4 X 2) underneath for extra strength and so the screws don't protrude (safety hazard). Cut a 45˚ angle on the outside corners. You won't really notice the small rise it creates at the end of the bed.

I did this on my previous 5th wheel and it worked out fine.

mackman

As Jim said....If your okay with the additional length, you can just extend the existing platform by adding a piece of 5/8" plywood. Cut a piece that will extend it back about 1 foot from the edge. For 6" overhang, you will need a 18" piece. Just screw it into the top of the existing platform. You might need to put a piece of backing ( like 3/4 X 2) underneath for extra strength and so the screws don't protrude (safety hazard). Cut a 45˚ angle on the outside corners. You won't really notice the small rise it creates at the end of the bed.

I did this on my previous 5th wheel and it worked out fine.

That doesn't sound too bad at all! I will look into this as well. Thanks for the input.