RV Height

Blallen58

I am soon going to be fully retired and going to take my Pioneer 287 on the road. Yeah. I have noticed on one campsite they posted that there are tunnels/bridges going to the campground that measure 13'7". With that said I looked up the specs on my Pioneer and according to the factory it is 11'10". Now based on that I should be okay, but does that measurement include the A/C units and the factory installed antenna for the TV or do I need to add a couple of feet for those?

danemayer

Hi BLAllen58,

The spec usually includes A/C units. HOWEVER, you should never trust your RV to the specification. If towing off level because of truck height, for example, the spec will be wrong. If someone at Heartland typed a wrong number - ooops.

The only way to really know your height is to take the trailer to a level parking area and measure it while hitched to the tow vehicle. Some people measure with a string attached to a 2x4. Place the 2x4 on top of the highest point on the roof and measure where the string touches the ground.

mlpeloquin

Mine was listed as 13' 3" and it measures 13' 4" to the top of the AC shroud. I have added a different hitch and air bags. The fifth wheel rides front high, but I trade that for the ride comfort and having my headlights at the proper height so I don't blind on coming traffic.

This past fall we were committed before a clearance sign could be read. We had to make a left and then right. A tree hid the sign. Clearance 12' 6" actual clearance 13' 4". It was down hill under a rail road bridge. Took it very slow. We cleared it. By how much???? This bridge was not in the Low Clearance POI GPS data.

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

I am soon going to be fully retired and going to take my Pioneer 287 on the road. Yeah. I have noticed on one campsite they posted that there are tunnels/bridges going to the campground that measure 13'7". With that said I looked up the specs on my Pioneer and according to the factory it is 11'10". Now based on that I should be okay, but does that measurement include the A/C units and the factory installed antenna for the TV or do I need to add a couple of feet for those?

Don't think your at 11'10".

pegmikef

Hi BLAllen58,

The spec usually includes A/C units. HOWEVER, you should never trust your RV to the specification. If towing off level because of truck height, for example, the spec will be wrong. If someone at Heartland typed a wrong number - ooops.

The only way to really know your height is to take the trailer to a level parking area and measure it while hitched to the tow vehicle. Some people measure with a string attached to a 2x4. Place the 2x4 on top of the highest point on the roof and measure where the string touches the ground.

What Dan said. My Big Horn was 3 inches higher, and my Landmark is almost 5 inches higher (partly because the new Fords are almost 3 inches higher). When you measure use a level to ascentain that your 2x4 is level from the high point to the edge of your trailer

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

So the A/C is towards the back on the Pioneer 287, which means that the height on it is possible to be below 12' tall, but to be sure hook it to your truck, get on level ground and get a good measurement.

NP_Chief

If you know anybody in the trucking business, most flatbed drivers carry a height stick. They are designed to measure the height of their loads and can be done from the ground very easily.

chiefneon

Howdy!

When we purchased our Cyclone 4000 I told the service people they needed to measure the height before the finalized the deal. They came back and stated it measured 13’9”. I told them the deal was off that the RV needed to have a permit to pull it off the lot if it was over 13’6”. We all went back and remesasured it and turned out it was 13’4”. Don’t trust anyone measure it yourself, or at least over see it done.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

NYSUPstater

While at our "old" RV dealer I think last year, I had the tech climb up and measure things for me. Came in at 13'4", but I want to re-do it again this year as their lot is most level for me. So far tho, in the 2 years of yanking it around, no S-C-R-A-P-E.........yet ! LOL

danemayer

Howdy!

When we purchased our Cyclone 4000 I told the service people they needed to measure the height before the finalized the deal. They came back and stated it measured 13’9”. I told them the deal was off that the RV needed to have a permit to pull it off the lot if it was over 13’6”. We all went back and remesasured it and turned out it was 13’4”. Don’t trust anyone measure it yourself, or at least over see it done.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

They may have measured it without being hitched up. If the front landing gear lift or lower the nose to level the trailer, you can get a wildly inaccurate measurement.