Long Trip Planned for this Spring and Summer

campfire7

This coming Friday, April 5th, the wife and I ( and our little dog Tink) are starting our first long trip, Leaving from home in Jacksonville Fla. pulling our 29 Ft. North Country T/T, We will travel to Arkansas and Oklahoma where we will visit family, From there our next stop will be the Mesa Verde N.P. in CO. , Arches N.P. in Utah , Bryce Canton in Utah, Grand Canyon in Az., Red Rock Canyon in NV. From there we head father west to Sequoia / Kings N.P. in CA. and Yosemite N.P. CA. then to North California to the Redwood, State / N.P. CA. , leaving California we head back east where we will stay in Jackson Hole WY. for a week, then a short drive north to Yellowstone N.P. where we will stay for 16 days. When we leave Yellowstone we meet-up with some old friends (also from Jacksonville) and together we are going up to Banff N.P. in Canada. for a week. Once we get back in the USA, us and our friends will separate and my wife and I are going to stay 10 days in Glacier N.P. in Mt. where we are really hoping to drive the "Highway to the Sun" road. From there we head to SD. to visit Mount Rushmore, Crazyhorse Monument and Custer S.P. . then our last stop will be the Rocky Mountain N.P. back in Colorado . Then on July 7th we head back home. Like I said, this our first big trip, nether of use has ever been away from home that long. we are excited and anxious . Its a lot of miles and a long time but we are sure we will have fun.

Fox

that awesome trip has a lot to contemplate - but I'd venture these tidbits - save your entrance time/money on the CrazyHorse monument. Although it's in your immediate area it's no where near complete - and while potentially memorable we both felt it was a waste of time (and money). Maybe in another 10-15 years (carving stone takes many/ many years) ... YMMV.

While possibly somewhat out of your way I'd suggest 'while you're out west' maybe visit the Hoover Dam; it's quite impressive. And although not mentioned, also skip Tombstone, Arizona (Boothill) - it's now extremely commercialized, nothing like it was back in 1971.

MTPockets

that awesome trip has a lot to contemplate - but I'd venture these tidbits - save your entrance time/money on the CrazyHorse monument. Although it's in your immediate area it's no where near complete - and while potentially memorable we both felt it was a waste of time (and money). Maybe in another 10-15 years (carving stone takes many/ many years) ... YMMV.

While possibly somewhat out of your way I'd suggest 'while you're out west' maybe visit the Hoover Dam; it's quite impressive. And although not mentioned, also skip Tombstone, Arizona (Boothill) - it's now extremely commercialized, nothing like it was back in 1971.
Beauty in the eyes of the beholder.... we enjoyed Crazyhorse much more than Rushmore! And Tombstone, commercial, but has a great western charm.. we’ve been there several times; first in 1967 and last was in 2015... enjoyed em all...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Beauty in the eyes of the beholder.... .
I agree. We have been there three times. Interesting to see the changes when funding is available. All through admissions and donations, no Fed or state help.
It is much more than a rock carving.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I have to disagree. The museum at the Crazy Horse Monument was very interesting to us. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

We actually met a grandson of Sitting Bull and had an interesting conversation with him at the museum at Crazy Horse. There is a lot of info on the tribes as well as an area where crafts are being made for sale.

We also enjoyed Tombstone, AZ despite the commercial overtones.

NYSUPstater

On a whirlwind trip back in '99 in a Lincoln Town Car, (just DW, DD & I--DS was in the "oven") we went to Mt Rushmore and Crazyhorse and loved them both. As pointed out CH does NOT get any monies from the gov't so it's a slow painstaking process. Would like to see updated pics of CH if anyone has any, Some folks may never get back there to see it again, so why not stop when your in the hood? Hoover dam would be nice to see as well if you have time and can head in that direction.

mlpeloquin

Did all that in three trips! Just make sure when crossing the border that you have your passports and proof all the pets immunizations. No weapons to cross the border.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I beg to differ with you on the Crazy Horse visit.

We planned to stop there for a few minutes, then go over to Mount Rushmore to spend the rest of the day.

However, we ended up spending the whole day at Crazy Horse and doing Rushmore the next day.

Crazy Horse is funded by the people that visit where Rushmore is government funded.

Crazy Horse is definately worth the stop!

Alan_B

Arches National Park is simply fabulous and one of our favorite parks.

It must be a favorite of many people as it can get very crowded. So crowded they are seriously considering some sort of a reservation system to limit attendance at peak times.

I suggest that that you research this and make reservations if necessary. You don’t want to miss it.

Lynn1130

Hoover Dam; it's quite impressive. And although not mentioned, also skip Tombstone, Arizona (Boothill
Yeah, me too and Crazy Horse was well worth the visit. And the above two are a long, long ways from where he is going to be traveling. If you are going that far Kartchner Caverns is much more interesting than Tombstone which I agree, is basically a tourist trap now.

Just a note and I recommend this to many who come here. Go to the North Rim rather than the south. You are in the area with the NPs in Utah. The South Rim is another tourist trap with 10 times the visitors of the North Rim and 1000 feet lower in elevation. You won't find the hotels and other crowded facilities as in the South Rim but the sights will be much better.

campfire7

Thanks for your comments, I have a great intest in the west and Native American history, and I've been told that the museum at Crazyhorse is the best Native America museum any where.

While we are camping at the Grand Canyon we are planning a day at Hoover Dam.

As far as Tombstone? originally we had Tombstone on our list, A very good friend of our is one of the reenactors at the OK Coral , But since he is back in Jacksonville right now and will not be there while we are on our trip we pulled Tombstone from the trip and plan to hopefully do it on another trip.

campfire7

Did all that in three trips! Just make sure when crossing the border that you have your passports and proof all the pets immunizations. No weapons to cross the border.

We have the Passports and Tink has her papers up to date. As far as my Gun? There is a place in Eureka Montanan that will for a fee hold your gun in a safe until you come back and get it. But having said that I am afraid of California and their strict laws, So, As bad as I want my gun, Iam considering not taking it on the trip.

Lynn1130

I've been told that the museum at Crazyhorse is the best Native America museum any where.

Heard Museum in Phoenix. I have been to both and several others. The Heard beats them all hands down.

Fox

It would appear I am the Lone Ranger when it comes to Crazy Horse; while we were disappointed y'all please enjoy it. And a stroll thru Tombstone is now about as real as touring Disney, nostalgic but completely fake.

But all that reminds me of another somewhat nearby place, one that meets with my approval: the Carlsbad Caverns. Bring a flashlight.

kowAlski631

It would appear I am the Lone Ranger when it comes to Crazy Horse; while we were disappointed y'all please enjoy it. And a stroll thru Tombstone is now about as real as touring Disney, nostalgic but completely fake.

But all that reminds me of another somewhat nearby place, one that meets with my approval: the Carlsbad Caverns. Bring a flashlight.

But sometimes it's fun to visit Disney. No place can ever be as it was (even Carlsbad) but it's fun to visit and imagine, isn't it?

Have safe travels and make memories every day.

Lynn1130

It would appear I am the Lone Ranger when it comes to Crazy Horse

Actually, I agreed with you on Crazy Horse. I would say, though, that Kartchner Caverns (just a few miles from Tombstone) is much more interesting than Carlsbad simply from the fact that Carlsbad is a "dead" cave. Meaning it has stopped it's natural growth. On the other hand both of Kartchner's caves (yes there are two) are still alive and growing. What has been done to protect the caves is pretty amazing in itself and the history of discovery, keeping it a secret, and state protection is very interesting.

There is much to see in SE Arizona including the ghost town trail and a whole bunch of wineries. The area is much different than the rest of Arizona with Sky Islands, vast grasslands and white oak forests. Few know that that is where the old movie Oklahoma was filmed.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The only issue I had with Crazy Horse was the Indian guy who gave the show on the outside deck that spent half of his 1-hour show still trashing the white man for what happened over 200 years ago.

Other than that, if taking the time to visit the entire park and taking in the wealth of knowledge offered there, it is well worth the stop.

If just to look-see, then perhaps it is not as you can see enough from the highway.

I took the bus ride right up to the base of Crazy Horse...awesome view!

Fox

I was stationed there back in 71/72 (Ft Huachucha) but I don't recall Kartchner Caverns, sorry we missed it.
Last year or so we visited the old Bisbee copper mine, imagine my surprise to find out it'd been shut down for 40+ years. Back then it was amazing.
Lastly, as I now have a sign. other, I didn't visit my old haunts in Nogales.