Convertor arcing noise

I just noticed that my convertor is making a arcing noise. It’s not a humming or buzzing noises!
Any ideas? Intelippower DP9160A. 2006 Bighorn 3055 5th wheel.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it's time to replace your converter. Mine failed when it was about 4 years old.

Peace
Dave

berky

If you are hearing an arcing sound, more than likely It's on the AC side (not the DC side). First remove AC power from the RV. Then pull on each AC wire at the converter, as well each wire going out from the breaker panel (if it's nearby and might be the source of the arcing sound). Tighten the screw on any wire that is loose - or that pulls out!

If you don't find any loose wires, then the problem is probably inside the converter. If you know a good tech guy, he might be able to perform surgery on the converter. There aren't that many components on the AC side that could fail.

If the sound you are hearing is more like a very brief "tic", then the source of the sound would be on the DC side. You could also check for loose wires on the DC side - after also disconnecting the battery. A problem on the DC side inside the converter (assuming no loose wires were found) is harder to diagnose and you might end up replacing the converter in that case.

wdk450

This might be a good "opportunity" to upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics PD-9200 series converter/chargers. The tri state charging modes plus the daily desulphation mode make this the best RV converter/charger I know of. I REALLY makes your batteries last, especially if you KEEP your rig continuously plugged in. It is pricey, with my 60 amp PD-9260 model costing between $210 and $300 on internet lookup, but is very reliable (if not mistreated), and well fused against reverse battery hookup.

See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9200-series-rv-power-converters/ and: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9200-series-rv-power-converters/#charge-wizard