Purchasing a washer and dryer

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
I generally don't like to disparage anyone, but we are at wits end! We planned a 45 day trip on a southerly route and ordered a Splendide Ariston separate w/d through McGeorge's RV Camping World in Ashland, VA as the start of the trip. We did so because they have been supportive of Heartland Owners at the 2015 National Rally in Urbanna, VA and the 2017 VA Rally.

Ordered it on February 12th to provide plenty of time to ship in the specific model(s) we wanted with the necessary washer tray and dryer vent kit. Periodically checked with them to see if it had arrived and that we would be on schedule for the install. Well, the long and short of it is they/we missed the onset deadline for our trip.

We continued to check every week or two during the trip hoping to reschedule the install on our return trip through Ashland. Now as we are getting closer to the return, we seem to be getting the run around and requested to cancel the order only to be told it might have been delivered!

Ultimately, our question here on the forum is, where have others ordered and had their w/d installed? We are attending the National Rally in Goshen. Any benefit being offered there? Deals? Install opportunities?

Tree14

Sorry to say but Camping World is the WORST anywhere. We bought our stackables there but they did not not know how to install. Drove rig and units to yet another Camping World. They said oh yes we can do it. Three days later they called and said they won't fit. I drove there and showed them how to do it so they would not destroy our new trailer. Heartland needs to find better RV service centers they support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Ordered ours, not from Camping World, and had it delivered at our S&B house. Installed it myself. If I was going to have someone else install it, i would have gone to an independent RV repair facility not a dealer or Camping World.

danemayer

The installation has 2 items that require expertise: Placement of the exhaust vent needs to be done carefully, testing the location to make sure you're not drilling through a piece of the frame, and that the exterior finish is not damaged. The overflow drain line from the tray sometimes can require some thought in how to run the line.

The washing machine is heavy and getting it into place without banging things up requires a bit of care. The dryer is much easier. Ours have brackets that hold the dryer in place. Drill the holes while the units are outside.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
Thanks for the replies.

I spent most of an afternoon reading and watching YouTube posts on w/d installs. Also confirmed our units had arrived at Camping World only to be told we may need to drop off the trailer as it could take a week to install. Finally decided to just pick them up and take them home. My son (a pretty dang good carpenter) and I will check out the framing for vent installation and pan drain outlet. If not sure, we will look for a mobile rv repair company locally.

Dan a question for you. I have read enough posts about dryer vents and the possibility that even when using the factory "drill vent here" sticker/location of still hitting a stud/frame. We will double check, but if you look up the 2017 Big Country 3965DSS floor plan the large drivers side bedroom/closet slide is where the w/d prep is located. The water and drain is on the right end wall and the "drill vent here" sticker is on the back wall, 3" from the right end wall (in line with water/drain).

So, my question is, wouldn't the washer go on the right, close to the water and drain hook up? The dryer on the left, but then run the vent hose over, or back behind the washer to the "drill vent here" location? Closet is 25" deep (front to back), units spec out at 22" deep x 23.5" wide. I don't feel 3" would be enough for a 4" vent hose with a couple turns thrown in too. What does the factory say, or has factory run into this before?

Can we investigate a new, more direct vent outlet location that I assume would be four feet from the factory sticker? Yes, we would cut an interior investigation hole to check for stud/framing and/or wiring before making the final hole through to the outside.

mlpeloquin

I used a metal stud finder and verified by looking at the fifth wheel in the early morning. If due forms on the exterior, the stud locations are visible. In mine, the electrical wires were routed in the chase at the bottom past the window and under the dresser. This is where I routed the hose for the overflow pan. It would be prudent to install one. The drain hose exits under the dresser into the LPG tank area in ours and I made the hose long enough to be just at the bottom. I put a metal screen around the bottom of the drain hose to make sure bugs do not find a path in. I also removed the faucet and replaced it with a single handled one from Lowe's. Much easier to control then the tight hard to turn OEM. You can and most likely ignore the factory sticker. Some have found it over the metal stud. Mine was and I was prudent to check with the metal stud finder. The low location for the vent is great if you have an all in one like us. You can locate that higher to make sense with your installation. You may want to remove the electrical outlet and check the wire connections. A few had them open with use and find the wire(s) not properly seated.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
Well, as an update, we went to pick up the w/d at Camping World and DW "sweet talked" them into fitting us in for the install.

I pointed out concerns of drilling for the vent tube (which was factory labeled about 4 inches from the right wall, which one would think should be the washer location because of water and drain locations).

Long story short, they were able to drill just about straight out from the dryer vent location. Everything is good !

We want to publically thank Terry Dodson, the Store Manager for making us a satisfied customer!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well, as an update, we went to pick up the w/d at Camping World and DW "sweet talked" them into fitting us in for the install.

I pointed out concerns of drilling for the vent tube (which was factory labeled about 4 inches from the right wall, which one would think should be the washer location because of water and drain locations).

Long story short, they were able to drill just about straight out from the dryer vent location. Everything is good !

We want to publically thank Terry Dodson, the Store Manager for making us a satisfied customer!

Great news!!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I generally don't like to disparage anyone, but we are at wits end! We planned a 45 day trip on a southerly route and ordered a Splendide Ariston separate w/d through McGeorge's RV Camping World in Ashland, VA as the start of the trip. We did so because they have been supportive of Heartland Owners at the 2015 National Rally in Urbanna, VA and the 2017 VA Rally.

Ordered it on February 12th to provide plenty of time to ship in the specific model(s) we wanted with the necessary washer tray and dryer vent kit. Periodically checked with them to see if it had arrived and that we would be on schedule for the install. Well, the long and short of it is they/we missed the onset deadline for our trip.

We continued to check every week or two during the trip hoping to reschedule the install on our return trip through Ashland. Now as we are getting closer to the return, we seem to be getting the run around and requested to cancel the order only to be told it might have been delivered!

Ultimately, our question here on the forum is, where have others ordered and had their w/d installed? We are attending the National Rally in Goshen. Any benefit being offered there? Deals? Install opportunities?

Craig, after years of saying she didn't want one, Carol decided last year that we should add the washer/dryer stackable. We got a good deal from RVs for Less in Tennessee and they installed it in a half a day. After a year's worth of use, Carol wouldn't be without it.

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
Keith, we ordered ours through McGeorge's RV Camping World in Ashland where you held the VA Rally two years ago. They were done with the install around 4:00 pm, so instead of heading home a that hour, we headed to Americamps RV Resort and Connie had to try a couple loads!!! I think we will love having them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tree14

Keith, we ordered ours through McGeorge's RV Camping World in Ashland where you held the VA Rally two years ago. They were done with the install around 4:00 pm, so instead of heading home a that hour, we headed to Americamps RV Resort and Connie had to try a couple loads!!! I think we will love having them!

Wow I took our 4200 to the one outside Columbia. After many hours attempting to install they called me and said it would not fit. I had to drive back there 95 miles and show them how. Camping World is horrific in my eyes. The one in Wentzville is the absolute WORST.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brenn

We had purchased our stackable 6 years in NV when we had another rig. We then purchased our RW and now have them stacked in our garage. My husband drilled the holes for bothering RV installations and we stacked them. I would never go without mine. Unfortunately they are not big enough for my huge quilts, but I’m picky to where I take them. Congratulations to all who just got there’s. You will be grateful. I even was able to talk some friends into getting stackable. She had one of those all in ones. I would recommend not to get those if you want you washing done quickly. Enjoy

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
We have had our units for two and a half months now and love the two separate units. They allow you to start drying a load while washing another. The dryer does take longer than a home dryer, but we realize we are using 110v vs. a gas dryer at home. Overall, very satisfied with our choice and purchase.

WillyBill

"The dryer does take longer than a home dryer, but we realize we are using 110v vs. a gas dryer at home. "

FYI

For those who may be interested, you can use a gas dryer in the rv. The jets in it need to be changed to run it on LP vs LNG but all the manyfacturers offer them as a kit for around the $25 range. Minor mechanical skills and you tube will get the kit installed. Or any appliance repair shop. You should run 1/2' pipe size (black pipe not galvanized) all the way from the bottles/regulator to get good gas flow. Most trailers have this size already as far back as the stove/oven area so you just need to lengthen that run of pipe.

WB