Tripping breaker without any obvious electrical load.

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 2009 North Country 26BH trailer. We have owned the trailer for about a month, and have not yet taken it out on a trip. While the trailer has been parked next to my house, my wife and I have been slowly getting ready for our first trip. Bringing our existing camping gear into a shelf or cubby somewhere.

While hooking up shore power for the first time, I experienced an issue immediately. I popped my house breaker with nothing turned on, or plugged into the trailer outlets. The house circuit I plugged into is standard residential 110V, 20A, with all other loads unplugged. Only the trailer is plugged into this circuit. The problem the exists I think has multiple facets. I am beginning to believe that I have a hidden electrical short somewhere but am hoping the members here may have some input.

With the trailer is plugged into 20A shore power, and all breakers turned off all systems work as they should or shouldn't. I can flip on the MAIN 30A, and the GFCI 15A breakers and get power supplied to those outlets. Power is confirmed through the use of a 3-wire receptacle tester. However, the moment I turn on any additional breakers (A/C, MICRO, WH, GFCI, GEN breakers remain) the breaker inside my home is tripped. Additionally, when only the MAIN and GFCI breakers are turned on, I am only getting power delivered to the GFCI wall outlets. The remaining 110V wall outlets that are not GFCI protected, have no power. Another odd note, is that when I have power flowing to the GFCI outlets, I have trouble getting anything to power on, without popping the 20A shore power breaker. Even a small LED TV pops the breaker. This leads me to believe that there is just under 20A flowing through that circuit with no apparent loads plugged in. I know the battery is getting charged whenever shore power is connected. Could there be enough amp draw charging the battery that causes the breaker to trip so easily.

Prior to accepting the purchase of this trailer I had all electrical systems checked out by using my 3-wire receptacle tester. All outlets checked fine, including a/c and appliances. No issues where found electrically or mechanically with the trailer. We hooked up the trailer, drove home about 15miles and parked it next to my house, where it's sat for about a month now.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read this post. I've reached the point in which I need to call for service I think, but I wanted to see what help might reside here.

Best,
Nick

danemayer

Hi Nick,

If the trailer was plugged in at the dealership, with all breakers on, and no problems, but now you have problems at home, the first thing I would suspect is the outside connections.

First, make sure the shore power cord is fully seated and locked into position at the trailer end. Also look for any discoloration at the connection to the trailer.

Second, to step down your 30 amp shore power plug to a 20 amp receptacle, you're using some type of adapter. Try a different adapter.

Third, if using an extension cord of any kind, consider it suspect.

If all of that looks good, you could have a loose wire at the trailer's shore power receptacle, or on the back side of the circuit breaker panel where the shore power wires are attached. Check the hot, neutral and ground to make sure they're all tight at both locations.

Let us know what you find.

SNOKING

I know the battery is getting charged whenever shore power is connected. Could there be enough amp draw charging the battery that causes the breaker to trip so easily.

Nick

Sometimes the converter that charges the batteries is just plugged into an outlet in the area that it is buried in. If you can find that, unplug it and see if your condition improves.

Are the batteries low and needing charge? That would account to a larger current draw. Or possibly the converter has an issue.

Another thing could be that you over looked the fact that the home breaker tripping is actually a panel mounted GFCI. Does it have a test button?