Entertainment Center

MCTalley

I haven't let full-time RV living put a crimp in my somewhat vintage stereo listening habits. Our rig has been carrying a modern turntable and vintage Sansui receiver for quite some time (I bought the turntable in Goshen during the 2015 rally, as a matter of fact). We've also been slowly adding some mid-century modern touches to the inside of our RV and finally decided to change up the entertainment center area.

Here's what we started with (Val is holding the fireplace up because I had already removed the retainer screws before deciding to grab a picture):

i-TsZQ4bt-L.jpg

Our top cabinet doors had glass inserts that I had to break out of the frames. I covered the frames in vintage looking speaker grill material from Amazon. Here's a sort of before and after:

i-jLqnQSX-M.jpg

Here's the final result. You can see stuff through the fabric and I debated putting another layer of black something in the back, but decided against it. It's not really distracting as it looks in the photo. The speakers will end up into the top cabinets, thus the change in covering. Extra bonus is that infrared remotes will work through the grill material.

i-qFvVPM2-M.jpg

Note at this point the turntable (somewhat covered) and the speakers are on the counter top in front of the TV and the receiver is up in the upper-left cabinet. This is where they have resided for the last few years (the speakers are attached to the counter with Command Strips, the turntable rides on the recliner when we travel).

Now the real work begins - removing all the drawers, fireplace and cabinetry below the countertop.

i-R499swW-M.jpg

i-K8NSxxV-M.jpg

And with everything removed. Note that a hammer, circular saw and jigsaw were employed in the demo process.

i-KDsqTjZ-M.jpg

Now it was time to wait for our replacement cabinetry to be delivered. We ordered a mid-century modern styled entertainment center from Wayfair and had it delivered to our RV lot in Florida. The delivery guys were skeptical of delivering a big box to an RV.

i-wZ6MdTC-M.jpg

Using the measure twice, cut once principal, we made sure over and over again that the cabinet was not wider than the opening. It was listed as being two inches narrower than our empty spot but was actually only about 1/4 inch narrower. Good thing it wasn't wider. We managed to wiggle it into place after running wires to everything. It matches the existing cabinetry a little better than it shows in this picture, though we knew it wouldn't be an exact match.

i-W2b8LBm-M.jpg

I modified the cabinet a little to add a slide-out drawer for the turntable and longer extension type drawer glides on the two bottom-left drawers. Stitch seems to approve.

i-8QgwDT7-M.jpg

CDN

B and B
Jeff Lynne would approve! Don't Bring me Down, Mr. Blue Sky and Telephone Line.... Rock On!!

carl.swoyer

I haven't let full-time RV living put a crimp in my somewhat vintage stereo listening habits. Our rig has been carrying a modern turntable and vintage Sansui receiver for quite some time (I bought the turntable in Goshen during the 2015 rally, as a matter of fact). We've also been slowly adding some mid-century modern touches to the inside of our RV and finally decided to change up the entertainment center area.

Here's what we started with (Val is holding the fireplace up because I had already removed the retainer screws before deciding to grab a picture):

i-TsZQ4bt-L.jpg

Our top cabinet doors had glass inserts that I had to break out of the frames. I covered the frames in vintage looking speaker grill material from Amazon. Here's a sort of before and after:

i-jLqnQSX-M.jpg

Here's the final result. You can see stuff through the fabric and I debated putting another layer of black something in the back, but decided against it. It's not really distracting as it looks in the photo. The speakers will end up into the top cabinets, thus the change in covering. Extra bonus is that infrared remotes will work through the grill material.

i-qFvVPM2-M.jpg

Note at this point the turntable (somewhat covered) and the speakers are on the counter top in front of the TV and the receiver is up in the upper-left cabinet. This is where they have resided for the last few years (the speakers are attached to the counter with Command Strips, the turntable rides on the recliner when we travel).

Now the real work begins - removing all the drawers, fireplace and cabinetry below the countertop.

i-R499swW-M.jpg

i-K8NSxxV-M.jpg

And with everything removed. Note that a hammer, circular saw and jigsaw were employed in the demo process.

i-KDsqTjZ-M.jpg

Now it was time to wait for our replacement cabinetry to be delivered. We ordered a mid-century modern styled entertainment center from Wayfair and had it delivered to our RV lot in Florida. The delivery guys were skeptical of delivering a big box to an RV.

i-wZ6MdTC-M.jpg

Using the measure twice, cut once principal, we made sure over and over again that the cabinet was not wider than the opening. It was listed as being two inches narrower than our empty spot but was actually only about 1/4 inch narrower. Good thing it wasn't wider. We managed to wiggle it into place after running wires to everything. It matches the existing cabinetry a little better than it shows in this picture, though we knew it wouldn't be an exact match.

i-W2b8LBm-M.jpg

I modified the cabinet a little to add a slide-out drawer for the turntable and longer extension type drawer glides on the two bottom-left drawers. Stitch seems to approve.

i-8QgwDT7-M.jpg
Excellent job looking great

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Lookin' good!

Saw that ELO concert at the Pontiac Silverdome in August of 1978! :cool: