Audio hum sound question.

KenJ

I have a Jensen AWM 970 in my entertainment center that has a very loud humming sound when connected to shore power. This sound is only present when the radio is turned on and happens on both AM and FM. The television is not affected, just the radio.

Has anyone else had this problem?

CDN

B and B
Do you have a battery installed? Also make sure the battery cutoff switch is turned of so the battery is in use. If this happens on AM radio often the TV antenna is used for the radio and it will not work on AM.

Lynn1130

60 cycle hum is usually a symptom of 120 volt problem. Without knowing your particular setup it is difficult to pinpoint but by doing a search of "60 cycle hum" you can find some YouTube and troubleshooting that can help track it down. The radio may need filtering but more likely there is something else going on with the AC close to the radio. If you are still under warranty it might be better to have a shop track it down.

KenJ

60 cycle hum is usually a symptom of 120 volt problem. Without knowing your particular setup it is difficult to pinpoint but by doing a search of "60 cycle hum" you can find some YouTube and troubleshooting that can help track it down. The radio may need filtering but more likely there is something else going on with the AC close to the radio. If you are still under warranty it might be better to have a shop track it down.

Thanks Lynn,
That's good advice. I'll do the google search. Next week we will be doing some dry camping and I'll be using my portable generator. The hum has always been while hooked up at a public campground so now I'll be able to see if the hum is present while using the portable.

Thanks again.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Look to see if the radio antenna is connected to a splitter that goes to the TV and also makes use of the roof antenna.

If it is connected that way, try unplugging it and see if that hum stops.

Mine was connected this way and was shorting out the signal to the living room TV.

Also, if it is connected to the roof antenna, you may need to turn the TV antenna booster off and see if that stops the hum.

KenJ

Look to see if the radio antenna is connected to a splitter that goes to the TV and also makes use of the roof antenna.

If it is connected that way, try unplugging it and see if that hum stops.

Mine was connected this way and was shorting out the signal to the living room TV.

Also, if it is connected to the roof antenna, you may need to turn the TV antenna booster off and see if that stops the hum.

John,
Great idea!!!! I'm going to check the TV booster. I rarely turn it off, perhaps that has been the problem all along.

Lynn1130

Yep, that booster could be the issue. It will throw AC back into the system. Hope it is that easy.

Fox

Only somewhat related but maybe another explanation for consideration. Earlier this evening I was hearing a (faint) high pitched tone which I blamed on my ancient stereo (all Carvers from the 80's). Eventually thinking (hoping) it was heat related I turned everything off - yet I still heard it.

Thru persistence I finally traced the sound as coming from the power backup/ surge suppressor serving the tv system; apparently it was hot and not getting enough air (stuff packed up against it on both sides) and had overheated. Now given some free space it has cooled down and is again working quietly.

Lynn1130

The Antenna Signal Booster is powered by 12V DC.

I could be wrong, and I will have to check mine but as I recall mine is powered by 120AC. Since the TVs won't run on 12V, and I think that is all wired to the booster, it does not come on unless I have 120. That said, I have to check it to be sure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I could be wrong, and I will have to check mine but as I recall mine is powered by 120AC. Since the TVs won't run on 12V, and I think that is all wired to the booster, it does not come on unless I have 120. That said, I have to check it to be sure.

My booster runs on 12-volts...

Was using it boondocking in the desert a few weeks ago and running the TV's off of the trailer batteries.

ProwlerHATM-P3210465.jpg

KenJ

Thanks to everyone for your input. This forum and it's members are fantastic! I have received great help in the past but have now traded in my Sundance for a Open Range 337RLS 5'R. The wife and I have really enjoyed the Sundance it was a great unit.

The biggest reason for the change was the fact that the new trailer has windows on both slideout sides and the slide outs measure 42" providing more living room space. We hope this unit is as nice as the Sundance was.

Once again thanks to all the folks on htis forum.

Ken.