Electrical shock

oldelmer1

If you have a power reel, you need to open it up and check the wire connections. Mine worked their way loose and I found it before any damage could be done. Others have not been so fortunate and have had burned wiring.

How did you open it up to see the wires, mine looks like its in an enclosed box, and the fender metal goes all the way down and around to the frame.

oldelmer1

Thanks gaffer, I just went out and looked at mine, there is some kind of a plastic panel there that's all screwed in covering the side of the power reel.

Also, the sheet metal goes all the way down to the frame, so I cant even see into it.

danemayer

If I understand the sales literature then my using a Progressive Industries (on board) EMS would eliminate this problem. Of course that'd mean I have NO power, but that is still a safer alternative.
An EMS may detect a missing ground at the pedestal and alert you to that problem. I don't think it will alert you to a downstream problem such as a loose neutral wire in the transfer switch, or a missing ground downstream from the EMS.

Operating with current leakage is risky. Eventually a 2nd failure will occur that exposes you to equipment damage or personal injury.

mlpeloquin

How did you open it up to see the wires, mine looks like its in an enclosed box, and the fender metal goes all the way down and around to the frame.

With mine I had to pull the entire cable out. There is an access hatch held on with screws in the center. The connections are inside.