Popping sound as we walk in fiver

danemayer

Hi brent.hall81101,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Is it the floor that's making the popping noise? Front landing gear? Something else?

MCTalley

Does it get worse in the evening after it cools off? (A relative term in FL right now).

If you have auto-level, might try bumping the two sides up a tad higher (puts more pressure on them). Ours will do that after it has been sitting a while and the jacks settle a bit. Cooler temps make it worse.

ajones305

Thanks for posting, we have this too. We have a 427 Road Warrior and it happens right about the middle of the coach closely lined up with where the front of the patio connects. Going to have it looked at when we take it in for the crack above the slide. Will try bumping the side levelers up a tad bit as suggested. It happens if the patio is out or in. Thank you to everyone on the forum.

emery395

got the same sound on our cyclone. research led me to believe it is the fluid in leveling legs either expanding (morning) or contracting(evening). Can't recall the details but one poster said switching out fluid to a very expensive brand would solve the issue (may have been a brand by Catapiller)

danemayer

got the same sound on our cyclone. research led me to believe it is the fluid in leveling legs either expanding (morning) or contracting(evening). Can't recall the details but one poster said switching out fluid to a very expensive brand would solve the issue (may have been a brand by Catapiller)

If the noise is from the jacks, it's not a switch of all the hydraulic fluid. You remove about a quart and add a quart of the recommended fluid.

Here's a link to the LIP Sheet that explains.

MCTalley

Just to add to Dan's post, we added a quart of the fork oil. We still get popping, especially in our front jacks, when the weather cools. Not terrible, but very noticeable at times. I've heard folks that have used the Cat fluid have head better luck.

To cut down on the four side jacks doing the same when we are parked long term, we use five of the Lynx Levelers (orange "Lego Blocks") stacked under each of the four side jacks.

Gaffer

The Maxima fluid is not as effective as the Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891. The Cat is much better. I only got short term relief with Maxima. The Cat fluid is more expensive but well worth it.

shawnmuir

The Maxima fluid is not as effective as the Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891. The Cat is much better. I only got short term relief with Maxima. The Cat fluid is more expensive but well worth it.

Im from Canada camping in Palm Springs on our way to Arizona and cannot locate the fork oil or other additives for the popping issue. Can someone tell me who sells this oil? I went to auto zone, Walmart with no luck. When I get to Arizona I plan on changing the hydronic fluid but want to add the oil additive. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can find a Caterpillar dealer they might have it in stock.
I just searched eBay and found some for $54.28/qt.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

JandL

Yes my 2018 Bighorn is doing the same thing. When I called service department said the seals in the landing gear need replaced. I heard of others having the same problem. Lippert and Heartland knows there is a problem. No on is stepping up to address the problem. My next 5ver will not be a Heartland. I have read on here that changing the fluid will help. Will just adding Cat fluid solve the problem? I feel like the 5th wheel is going to fall on it's nose at times with the quick jerk that it gives.

danemayer

Yes my 2018 Bighorn is doing the same thing. When I called service department said the seals in the landing gear need replaced. I heard of others having the same problem. Lippert and Heartland knows there is a problem. No on is stepping up to address the problem. My next 5ver will not be a Heartland. I have read on here that changing the fluid will help. Will just adding Cat fluid solve the problem? I feel like the 5th wheel is going to fall on it's nose at times with the quick jerk that it gives.

Hi JandL,

This is a Lippert problem that was addressed by Lippert back in 2013. It most commonly happens on hard surfaces, with jacks fully extended, when there are large temperature swings over a 24 hour period.

Please take a look at the attached LIP Sheet. If your next RV has Lippert jacks, you may find you also have to add anti-stiction fluid to that one as well.

Attachments

• LIP 0295 - NOISY JACKS - Adding Anti-Stiction Fluid to LCI Hydraulic Systems.pdf
    504.3 KB · Views: 33

mlpeloquin

My 2013 Big Born had the same problem. Added the CAT additive and the problem stopped. I was told that the seals are not serviceable and the entire jack had to be replaced. How true I do not know. Good luck finding an RV trailer, Class C, or Class A without Lippert jacks. They have most of the market. This is a Lippert system so don't blame Heartland for a Lippert device. TV's, refrigerators, radios, lights, and all components are purchased from different manufactures. Heartland designs the basic structure as do all manufactures. They are more of a Systems company that designs the enclosure that the systems are installed into.

david-steph2018

Hi JandL,

This is a Lippert problem that was addressed by Lippert back in 2013. It most commonly happens on hard surfaces, with jacks fully extended, when there are large temperature swings over a 24 hour period.

Please take a look at the attached LIP Sheet. If your next RV has Lippert jacks, you may find you also have to add anti-stiction fluid to that one as well.

We are sitting NW of San Antonio in the Hill Country right now and since we have been here we are hearing the popping more often. Yes the big temperature swings (65-70 in day & 35-40 at night) does cause the popping sounds. I called Lippert yesterday and they sent me the link to the fix you posted. In the morning when the temps go up you can hear popping. Then in the evening when the temps start dropping into the 30 or 40's the popping starts again.

danemayer

We are sitting NW of San Antonio in the Hill Country right now and since we have been here we are hearing the popping more often. Yes the big temperature swings (65-70 in day & 35-40 at night) does cause the popping sounds. I called Lippert yesterday and they sent me the link to the fix you posted. In the morning when the temps go up you can hear popping. Then in the evening when the temps start dropping into the 30 or 40's the popping starts again.

I think the problem can also be reduced by reducing the extension of the front landing gear. Using blocks under the landing jacks may help.