Electrical system strange happenings

rcwalls

Some one on the forum may have discussed this issue, however strange things are beginning to occur on my 2019 Cyclone 4005. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed the fueling station will not turn on from the control panel inside. It will not turn on. At the same time, I tried the hot water heater (electric) and nothing. Then tried the LP gas hot water heater button and nothing. Started going through the mental check list of things possibly wrong or something I may have shut off. While standing there, it was getting hot (south Texas hot) in living room so I turned the A/C on and tried to figure out what is going on. Checked everything (fuses) and a few minutes later, tried the buttons again and everything came on. I did nothing, just looked.

Then we go camping over the past weekend. Same buttons will not work. I left the hot water heater button on (electric) hoping it would start working. Went outside to finish setting up and was hearing the LP heater coming on exhausting the hot air (Whaaat?) ran back inside and the electric button was still in on position with LP off. Now what?

Now that I have this off my chest, I will go back and check a few more things, but I have been out numerous times and started everything even in storage just to keep learning about this unit and had no issues.

What I haven't checked is low voltage on my batteries. Will this cause these varying issues? I automatically assumed the heating element on the water heater was 110V but I seem to recall a fuse for water heater which tells me battery power. Going to check again.

wdk450

Some one on the forum may have discussed this issue, however strange things are beginning to occur on my 2019 Cyclone 4005. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed the fueling station will not turn on from the control panel inside. It will not turn on. At the same time, I tried the hot water heater (electric) and nothing. Then tried the LP gas hot water heater button and nothing. Started going through the mental check list of things possibly wrong or something I may have shut off. While standing there, it was getting hot (south Texas hot) in living room so I turned the A/C on and tried to figure out what is going on. Checked everything (fuses) and a few minutes later, tried the buttons again and everything came on. I did nothing, just looked.

Then we go camping over the past weekend. Same buttons will not work. I left the hot water heater button on (electric) hoping it would start working. Went outside to finish setting up and was hearing the LP heater coming on exhausting the hot air (Whaaat?) ran back inside and the electric button was still in on position with LP off. Now what?

Now that I have this off my chest, I will go back and check a few more things, but I have been out numerous times and started everything even in storage just to keep learning about this unit and had no issues.

What I haven't checked is low voltage on my batteries. Will this cause these varying issues? I automatically assumed the heating element on the water heater was 110V but I seem to recall a fuse for water heater which tells me battery power. Going to check again.

Low supply voltage to electronic circuits can cause a myriad of strange symptoms. A basic teaching to electronic techs in training is "if it is battery operated, check the batteries first thing". Or the low voltage power supply, if there is one.

I can tell you that the 2 way water heater (110 VAC and propane) has a 12 volt DC logic board for propane valving and flame ignition (a lot like the 2 way RV ammonia refrigerators).

The only thought I might have on the Air Conditioner affecting how other electrical stuff works might be the vibrations throughout the trailer from the AC compressor. They could be shaking loose connections into making connection again. BTW, the thermostat command signals to the Air conditioning control board that runs the air conditioner (and the furnace) run off of the 12 VDC trailer battery/converter system.

A number of people have posted on electrical problems being caused by poor connections in the junction boxes under the frame. The assemblers seem to like to use wirenuts, which can easily be undertightened in assembly, and can vibrate loose. Tighten all wirenut connections you find and secure the wirenuts to the wires with electrical tape.

Good Luck with this!!!

Last edited:

danemayer

Your 2019 Cyclone probably has a Precision Circuits System (PCS) that manages power usage. While its purpose is to shed 120V AC loads when necessary, it uses 12V DC in part of that operation. So if you have a low voltage condition, it could affect water heater 12V DC operation, and indirectly affect water heater electric operation, along with air conditioners, microwave, dryer, and some other things.

A loose connection at the PCS plate on the control panel, or on the left side of the main circuit breaker panel, under the cover, could also be a possibility.

Last time I saw the PCS wall plate on a Cyclone, I recall that it provided very limited information. Nevertheless, next time the problem shows up you might take a look.