Accumulator installation

Tidyboy

I am planning on much dry camping this fall so I bought a 2 gal accumulator to reduce pump cycles and soften pump start-ups. No installation instructions came with it, not even an online reference. But they are all basically alike and I did enough research to figure it out....mostly. It won't in the space where my pump is, but it will fit nicely under the kitchen cabinet. So, I have 3 questions for you gurus. 1. Will locating it so far from the pump reduce its effectiveness? 2. The under-sink plumbing is convoluted and hard to figure out. I did however discover that the water heater input line, when disconnected, spurts a lot of water when I turn on the potable pump. Seems that's a good tie-in point. Correct or not? 3. Should I make life simple and run single line to the accumulator or route water through it?

Gary521

I am planning on much dry camping this fall so I bought a 2 gal accumulator to reduce pump cycles and soften pump start-ups. No installation instructions came with it, not even an online reference. But they are all basically alike and I did enough research to figure it out....mostly. It won't in the space where my pump is, but it will fit nicely under the kitchen cabinet. So, I have 3 questions for you gurus. 1. Will locating it so far from the pump reduce its effectiveness? 2. The under-sink plumbing is convoluted and hard to figure out. I did however discover that the water heater input line, when disconnected, spurts a lot of water when I turn on the potable pump. Seems that's a good tie-in point. Correct or not? 3. Should I make life simple and run single line to the accumulator or route water through it?
I believe that the accumulator can be installed some distance from the pump and still be OK. The water does not have to run through it only "T" off it.

Tidyboy

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 11:20am Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
Thanks for all the good points. I got the accumulator installed and it works. My problem now is that my pump works harder and gets louder. I have never heard it hammer like it does now. It seems I need to either get another pump or take the accumulator out. Any suggestions

jnbhobe

Sure you didn't get a line laying across another line that will make them hammer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tidyboy

Re: Accumulator installationy

Sure you didn't get a line laying across another line that will make them hammer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't see that I crossed anything. The pump comes on at it's normal annoying noise level that has been characteristic of it in the past. But after a few seconds it now seems to shift gears and get louder and starts hammering. It didn't do that before. It seems I read somewhere that pumps respond to higher demand by stepping up their output pressure, so I wonder if that is what I'm hearing. And there is another peculiarty. With the accumulator installed, the pump stays quiet on all outlets until the lowered pressure turns it on. All except the toilet. The pump still comes on immediately when the toilet is flushed, even when the accumulator is charged. That's a real head scratcher.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you haven’t already replace any solid pex lines that are connected to the pump. Mount the pump on something like a garden kneeling pad. Cover any pex lines that are touching each other with foam pipe insulation

I have done all of that and added the accumulator. Our pump is unheard at the kitchen sink and is barely a hum when in the bathroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

If you haven’t already replace any solid pex lines that are connected to the pump. Mount the pump on something like a garden kneeling pad. Cover any pex lines that are touching each other with foam pipe insulation

I have done all of that and added the accumulator. Our pump is unheard at the kitchen sink and is barely a hum when in the bathroom

Lyle, how large (capacity wise) is your accumulator? I have been thinking about doing this but the ones I have looked have relatively low holding capacity. Just wondering if they would still be effective?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Lyle, how large (capacity wise) is your accumulator? I have been thinking about doing this but the ones I have looked have relatively low holding capacity. Just wondering if they would still be effective?

Hi Keith. Just the standard sureflo brand. Yes it’s not large capacity but it reduces the pump’s cycling when just a bit of water is required.

Kbvols

Hi Keith. Just the standard sureflo brand. Yes it’s not large capacity but it reduces the pump’s cycling when just a bit of water is required.

Awesome Thanks I appreciate. Will be getting one installed. Hope you all are doing well. Hopefully see ya’ll down the road somewhere.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
are you sure your pump is compatible with your accumulator? Some pumps are not recommended to be used with an accumulator. You might look up the pump manual and see if there is a recommendation or warning on compatible use with the accummulator.
The hammer noise issue could be the resulting side effect.

Another possiblity is overcharging on the accumulator?