Ram Owners Help Please

Dave_Jari

We are looking at a new 2018 Ram 3500, 6.7 I6 with the AISIN transmission. Big horn, nicely equipped for just over $50,000. I am not familiar with the "active-air" that they are talking about. From looking around the web, seems like a variable air induction system. Is it hardy? Does it work well? Is it problematic and expensive to repair? Since I don't see it on the 2019 models, seems they went away from it very quickly. Any and all information and opinions are appreciated!
Good evening!

Bogie

Re: Ram Owners Help Plese

Check out this LINK from Turbo Diesel Register. It is a discussion on Active Air and a link to a video that shows the system and possible problem resolutions. I have a 2017 RAM 2500 and have had no problems.

If you do get the truck, I would recommend a subscription to Turbo Diesel Register. It's a valuable source for information and is a forum like this one. If you subscribe you also get a quarterly publication which includes, among other information, technical service bulletin information.

Dave_Jari

Thank you all for your input! It seems like a really good deal, and I can work on their money, 0% interest. Thank you again for your input.

sengli

Other than the 13 recalls and counting, and the stock junk Nexen tires. This truck pulls hard and runs great.

2PawsRiver

Ours is a beast. I have not doubt that if I come to a mountain I can't climb, I can just pull it out of the way. No problems yet.....just some recalls.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
Ours is a beast. I have not doubt that if I come to a mountain I can't climb, I can just pull it out of the way. No problems yet.....just some recalls.

Can I ask what mileage you get pulling your Cyclone. Remember to tell the truth!

2PawsRiver

First let me say this ours has the 4/10 gearing. We had a Dodge 2500 HD, short bed that was not a 4/10. The biggest difference is with the 2500, 70 mph equaled 1500 rpm, while with our 3500 70 equals 2000 rpm.

So far I have only towed to South Dakota and back, Wisconsin and back, all around northern Michigan, couple times into Indiana and Illinois.

I get my best mileage traveling at right around 63 mph. My average is 9.3 when I keep it around 63. Drops to mid 8s if I do high 60s to low 70s. Worst I have had was mid 7's semi flat roads with a strong headwind.

I am always checking my average mpg......I never use the cruise control. I take advantage of downhill grades to gather speed and will shed some mph to keep my average up going up hill. I try to never be in a hurry and try to hold 63 unless I can get away with a little faster and not drop below my average.

Just an added note...….Gas Buddy has saved us a ton of money on Diesel. When I hit half a tank I check the price difference. Amazes me many times the difference is around 25 to 35 cents a gallon, high to low. I have seen it as high as 50 cents a gallon. I did travel 8 miles off the highway once to save 35 cents a gallon....I was empty :)

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
First let me say this ours has the 4/10 gearing. We had a Dodge 2500 HD, short bed that was not a 4/10. The biggest difference is with the 2500, 70 mph equaled 1500 rpm, while with our 3500 70 equals 2000 rpm.

So far I have only towed to South Dakota and back, Wisconsin and back, all around northern Michigan, couple times into Indiana and Illinois.

I get my best mileage traveling at right around 63 mph. My average is 9.3 when I keep it around 63. Drops to mid 8s if I do high 60s to low 70s. Worst I have had was mid 7's semi flat roads with a strong headwind.

I am always checking my average mpg......I never use the cruise control. I take advantage of downhill grades to gather speed and will shed some mph to keep my average up going up hill. I try to never be in a hurry and try to hold 63 unless I can get away with a little faster and not drop below my average.

Just an added note...….Gas Buddy has saved us a ton of money on Diesel. When I hit half a tank I check the price difference. Amazes me many times the difference is around 25 to 35 cents a gallon, high to low. I have seen it as high as 50 cents a gallon. I did travel 8 miles off the highway once to save 35 cents a gallon....I was empty :)

I also found this to be true with our 16 Ram with the 4:10 gears.. I get the best fuel mileage are 63 mph. It has all the power in the world but at higher speeds, it gets really thirsty.

david-steph2018

Our 2017 Ram 3500 has the 4:10 rear end in it and the best MPG is around 9.5 speed about 63-65 mph. I have a habit of driving using my RPM, I like trying to keep it under 2000 if possible. Last summer going to the Gulf Coast area we got around 7.0 going thru the mountains in Kentucky, Tenn. Once I hit the flat ground on I-10 the MPG went up around 3 or 3.5 mpg I was bumping over 10 mpg.

On the trip to Goshen from our house were I fueled up until we returned to the house I traveled almost 1000 miles and used 74 gallons of diesel. A little over half was towing the Road Warrior, around 550 miles. Which gives me around 13.5 mpg total for the trip. Now keep in mind this was towing and non-towing situations total.