New Hi Def Directv satellite setup...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just had my SD receiver and dish replaced with a new HD receiver, Genie..

My SD was easy to set up with my Bird dog meter. Now I have this huge dish and the technician came in and set it up using the receiver, me and cell phones. Problem is I don't have a second person inside with a cell phone when I am traveling. So the tech told me to turn up the volume and open a window when I am outside near the window and listen to the signal to tune in the satellite. Not real difficult until I have to move the dish far enough from the trailer to find the satellite.

I would like to hear from those that have a dish that set theirs up and any suggestions. I don't have the little globe that sits on the ground and works like the sat on the roof. Just a tripod and a dish.

I did break down and purchased an AIM 1.5 Meter but I have to learn how to get it to work and that will take me some time to experiment.

Thanks
BC

Gaffer

Get an H24 receiver (SWM). I tune mine with a basic meter in just a few minutes solo. It uses the same single LNB dish.

SNOKING

Make sure the mast is perfectly vertical. Set the elevation and skew on the mount's built in scales based on your location. There is a setup screen that asks for your zip code and returns the elevation, skew and azimuth. Azimuth is the swing to the correct compass direction. There are apps that help with compass readings. Also look at where other people slimline antennas are pointed. There is an app call IP WEBCAM that allows a second device to link to a smart phone that is mounted to watch the meters on the screen. IP WEBCAM is loaded on the smart phone and you need a WiFi hub to link a tablet of other device to the smart phone and show the image the smart phone is look at.

IP WEBCAM gives a IP address and port to link to via the second device.

I find the slimline/swm easier to align than my old SD dish.

Chris

mlpeloquin

I suspect that you do not need a special meter. It is is the same satellite(s) 101, 109 etc.. Set it up using your Bird Dog meter and check it out. The Genie system has to do with the main receiver and how it communicates to the satellite receiver(s) in the bedroom and outside. Installed the Genie system at home. Same LMB and antenna (not changed). Just different main receiver and satellite receivers.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I use a Birdog with HD Directv Slimline dish. Your only snag may be if they provided you with a SWM LNB which requires an additional power source. Depending on the type of receiver they provided, the power may come direct from your box. Some require an external power "inserter" In either case, I think you'll need a Birdog Ultra model which will power the LNB while tuning. Your AIM device may handle that chore for you too but I've not used one to say for sure.

RickL

I setup my iPad and then FaceTime between my phone and iPad. I can see the strength bars that way as I slowly adjust the dish into position. Been doing this for a year and a half with very good success. I eyeball the level of the mounting pole, I have an app on the phone that provides me with the approximate satellite position (Satellite-AR) and use quality connectors (the cheap ones interfer with the quality of the signal).

danemayer

... Now I have this huge dish and the technician came in and set it up using the receiver, me and cell phones.

Bob,

I never heard of a Directv tech aligning the dish by using the receiver. They always have meters to align. Then they confirm the signal strength on the menu.

Back when I set up the Slimline 3 dish on a tripod, the problem I ran into was that my meter wouldn't work with the newer LNBs. I had to align the dish with an old LNB that worked with the meter (but not with the receiver) and then change to the new LNB that worked with the receiver.

So I wouldn't be surprised if your old Bird Dog meter doesn't work with the new LNB. Hopefully the new meter will.

You might check out the Winegard TV Finder app for your phone. It helps point for both satellite and OTA TV stations.

---- on edit, Winegard app apparently needs an update. Looks like a recent Android OS change broke the app.

mlpeloquin

The LMB does require external power. I use the Direct TV power source and a DC bypass splitter. Not a problem and they don't cost much. Power source plugs into 120VAC.

avvidclif

AFAIK all Direct TV uses the SWM system. I have the power inserter in the basement where the ant comes in. I use one of the HD surveyors tripods that has an adapter to the dish. I have found the most critical thing is having the top of the tripod level. That insures the dish is level. I use an app called Satellite Finder. It uses GPS to find where I am and gives AZ, tilt, and El settings. It provides a compass dial you can use to point the dish. Make sure you have a clear shot at where the satellite is from the location of the dish. Tweaking is old fashioned DW watching TV and saying, better or worse. Seldom do I have to move the tilt or elevation settings but then again we haven't taken trips over 500 mi lately either. I bought one of the fancy Bird Dog clones years ago and never use it. My 2 cents

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob,

I never heard of a Directv tech aligning the dish by using the receiver. They always have meters to align. Then they confirm the signal strength on the menu.

Back when I set up the Slimline 3 dish on a tripod, the problem I ran into was that my meter wouldn't work with the newer LNBs. I had to align the dish with an old LNB that worked with the meter (but not with the receiver) and then change to the new LNB that worked with the receiver.

So I wouldn't be surprised if your old Bird Dog meter doesn't work with the new LNB. Hopefully the new meter will.

You might check out the Winegard TV Finder app for your phone. It helps point for both satellite and OTA TV stations.

---- on edit, Winegard app apparently needs an update. Looks like a recent Android OS change broke the app.

Dan
You are correct. My old Bird Dog meter only worked on the SD Receivers and 18" dish. I contacted the people that I bought the Bird Dog from and they told me that the Aim 1.5 was the only meter that will work on the new SWM system. So I purchased one because many times the dish has to be quite a distance from the trailer, so the audio method would not work.

I am at TO Fuller State Park today and tried to set up the Sat Dish but no luck. The Aim is so complicated I can't seem to get the proper settings, so no Directv for today. I am going to start again tomorrow with different cable and make sure that isn't part of the problem. Glad I had a new Over the Air antenna installed, at least I can watch the local news.

The installer that came to my trailer when I had the HD system installed had me on the phone inside and tell him how the signal was doing while he was outside adjusting the dish. Wish I knew how he did that. He said he never used the Aim meter.

I have an App on my phone that lets me see where the satellites are. That helps but it takes more to adjust the dish.

Thanks for response...

BC

porthole

Retired
Bob, couple of thoughts.

Start with a good tripod, transit type works best.
I use a CST Berger tripod with this antenna adapter.

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12

Key is getting the top of the tripod level. When you are searching for satellites you are only looking for 101 of the trio (99 - 101 - 103).
Once you lock onto 101 you set the skew to pickup the other two.

The LMB needs 21 volts for it to work.

You get the 21 volts from the receiver, a power inserter or a SAT meter that supplies 21 volts (not 20 volts)

I detailed a lot of this on my post linked below.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to use the sound signal from the TV and not be very accurate as well.