EMS doing its job!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last night we had some severe storms blow through our area. About 7:30pm, the power went out, and stayed out until about 2:15am. We automatically assumed everything was ok.

Unfortunately, we heard via Facebook that the outage happened due to damage at a substation, and power was being re-routed from another substation.

Power fluctuated on and off about 10am, then seemed to stay on, however our EMS kept cutting power. Tony checked the EMS (portable, at the pedestal) and saw the error, P6, which is low voltage. It displayed voltage ranging from 98 to 109 throughout the day, and kept the power disconnected. When I came home from work at 5 it was still off, reading PE6, P6. Which is previous error of low voltage, and reading low voltage currently. Later, the power came back on, and stayed on! We checked the EMS again, and found E0, PE3, which is no error present, previous error high voltage! Voltage was then reading around 120,and has been since.

Thankful for the EMS that kept both low and high voltage from our rig, while others (unprotected) in our park probably suffered unknown damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
Good report on the need for EMS.

Despite having some protection built in the Surge Guard transfer switch I re-installed my Progressive EMS on my shore power connection. Being in rural overhead fed provincial parks I would rather have more protection. It saved me from Hot Skin a few years ago. Could have been deadly.

MCTalley

We were sitting in our RV a week or two ago in 90-degree Florida weather. I was working, so I was connected to the office via Internet and VPN. Nice sunny day and suddenly the power goes out in the trailer. Val and I looked at each other and I was making sure nothing was unsaved on the computer. I watched my wifi connection on my laptop stay up, which I thought curious. Our cable modem router is in our storage shed just behind the trailer (on its own circuit).

A minute later, the power comes back on. By all counts, a power outage should cause the wifi to die immediately. If took me a minute to realize that the power outage was confined to the trailer. I went over and looked at our EMS display (we have an internal, hard-wired one) and the error code indicated that it had cut power due to high voltage on one leg. Don't know how high the voltage was, but both legs were running around 119-120V when I watched the display after the event.

Fox

Unfortunately many campers are unaware of these common electrical problems, and the solution.
Same-same can be said about actively monitoring RV tire pressures.

I will admit that I once needed an education on these two important items; the big difference is that I listened and reacted.
It's better to be safe than sorry.

MCTalley

Unfortunately many campers are unaware of these common electrical problems, and the solution.

Unfortunately, many campground owners as well. Both times I've gone to a campground office due to my EMS shutting off power due to low or high power, I've been met with "oh, those things (the EMS) never work right, just by-pass it". I always carry a volt meter so I can show someone. Usually gets things fixed quicker.

Fox

Unfortunately, many campground owners as well. Both times I've gone to a campground office due to my EMS shutting off power due to low or high power, I've been met with "oh, those things (the EMS) never work right, just by-pass it". I always carry a volt meter so I can show someone. Usually gets things fixed quicker.

Unfortunately these high/ low voltage situations are fleeting and by the time a tech visits the pedestal everything is all right.
It happened to me about two years ago.