Beyond a warranty issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sengli

In my years of reading these posts. I have never heard of anyone getting a buyback.

Since the RV boom of recent years, I do actually see the build quality has declined, as companies rush product out the door due to increased demand. Ours was built before the insanity rush of todays market place. We looked at many new RV's recently as we just bought another rig . And the fit and finish was terrible. We looked at several brands too.

kowAlski631

In my years of reading these posts. I have never heard of anyone getting a buyback.

Nor have we. It appears to us that the OP wants to offload not because of major structural or safety issues, but because of what might be wrong in the future. We've had a lot of great times with our BH. We've had problems along the way also. But if we threw in the towel after a few items that should have not passed inspection by Heartland, CW or us before we purchased, we would have missed all the memories we've made. Bottom line, you either focus on problems or you have fun - we have fun.

LBR

We were a little more niave. Did not think we had to worry about PDI.

Thought it was befitting to bring your quote 7 hours ago from another thread over to this thread.

Had you done the PDI rather than sign and run, this FaceBook style rant thread wouldn't have been necessary. SMH for not doing the necessary homework prior to purchase.

NYSUPstater

Even HL flagship line (Landmark) has problems. Now some will say that LM is not the king cuz Thor has other higher end lines, but they are diff divisions so really cannot incl them here. Sadly, some models come off the line pretty much problem free while other may not. However each model that rolls out the front door will have some sort of issue albeit minor or major. Our last coach ('06 Silverback) had bent axles to which I didn't even know (fellow Creeker saw it and told me) 2 years after we bought it. CC replaced the axles, tires, rims and the whole kitten kabutle.... no charge. Ends up, there was a problem at time of manufacture w/ axles. Now, even w/ our BC we have a couple cabinet & doors that hit each other upon closing. Been that way since we picked it up. Don't care cuz it's not a big deal. Will say this and told salesman that if it doesn't come thru w/ Saliun tires deal is off. That WAS a big deal and yes it did have them. Correct track had been standard on the BC, but HL stopped using them for the '18 line. Disappointed, yes, deal breaker, no.

kowAlski631

Thought it was befitting to bring your quote 7 hours ago from another thread over to this thread.

Had you done the PDI rather than sign and run, this FaceBook style rant thread wouldn't have been necessary. SMH for not doing the necessary homework prior to purchase.

We saw that also. Explains a lot.

2PawsRiver

I do think it is funny how accepting people are of substandard merchandise in exchange for hard earned cash......I agree you have to do a PDI, you have to be prepared for problems and you have to be prepared to take them back for repairs......but it is not wrong to expect a quality product that shouldn't have to have a PDI, that you shouldn't have to be prepared for problems and prepared to take it back for repairs......it's just not realistic........if more of us weren't so accepting of this concept it might change.......I understand it, but won't knock a guy for not wanting to accept it.

danemayer

I do think it is funny how accepting people are of substandard merchandise in exchange for hard earned cash......I agree you have to do a PDI, you have to be prepared for problems and you have to be prepared to take them back for repairs......but it is not wrong to expect a quality product that shouldn't have to have a PDI, that you shouldn't have to be prepared for problems and prepared to take it back for repairs......it's just not realistic........if more of us weren't so accepting of this concept it might change.......I understand it, but won't knock a guy for not wanting to accept it.

Of course it's right to expect a quality product to come off the manufacturing floor. And if dealers did the PDI described in the RVIA manuals, buyers wouldn't have to do another PDI.

But then reality intrudes. Things are not the way we all would like.

You have 2 paths: the first is to not accept these products until you believe quality has improved. The second is a pragmatic approach that lets you move forward despite the issues: do your own PDI, be prepared for problems, fix what you can, manage the repair shop closely when you turn things over to them, treat the servicers with respect and maybe a case of beer.

Most of the comments you're reading are from people who have chosen the pragmatic path. But we each get to pick whatever path works best for us. If you prefer to not buy until quality improves, that's your decision. But that approach may not work for everyone. There's a reason people with old RVs buy new RVs. Life circumstances change. Children grow up. People retire and travel more. People sell their big homes and downsize into a full-time RV lifestyle. And other reasons no doubt. Will all those people take your advice and wait indefinitely for change?

Sure, if everyone in North America stopped buying and told the dealers and manufacturers that they won't accept poor quality products, no doubt quality would improve quickly. But again, most of us are pragmatic and would say that scenario is just not very likely.

Should you keep arguing for it? Why not. 4 years ago a lot of people thought one guy running for President was completely out to lunch. But this week that same guy stood on a stage with 9 others who mostly agreed with what he advocated 4 years ago. So maybe in a few years you won't be a voice in the wilderness.

NYSUPstater

Of course it's right to expect a quality product to come off the manufacturing floor. And if dealers did the PDI described in the RVIA manuals, buyers wouldn't have to do another PDI.

But then reality intrudes. Things are not the way we all would like.

You have 2 paths: the first is to not accept these products until you believe quality has improved. The second is a pragmatic approach that lets you move forward despite the issues: do your own PDI, be prepared for problems, fix what you can, manage the repair shop closely when you turn things over to them, treat the servicers with respect and maybe a case of beer.

Most of the comments you're reading are from people who have chosen the pragmatic path. But we each get to pick whatever path works best for us. If you prefer to not buy until quality improves, that's your decision. But that approach may not work for everyone. There's a reason people with old RVs buy new RVs. Life circumstances change. Children grow up. People retire and travel more. People sell their big homes and downsize into a full-time RV lifestyle. And other reasons no doubt. Will all those people take your advice and wait indefinitely for change?

Sure, if everyone in North America stopped buying and told the dealers and manufacturers that they won't accept poor quality products, no doubt quality would improve quickly. But again, most of us are pragmatic and would say that scenario is just not very likely.

Should you keep arguing for it? Why not. 4 years ago a lot of people thought one guy running for President was completely out to lunch. But this week that same guy stood on a stage with 9 others who mostly agreed with what he advocated 4 years ago. So maybe in a few years you won't be a voice in the wilderness.

Very well said !!!

BLR

Before we decided to buy our current Cyclone, I joined the forum to learn everything that I could, then I told my hubby about the site also he joined.

We read almost every thread possible, that we felt pertained or was pertinent to our situation.

We printed out Oregon Campers PDI, spent 4+ hours doing our PDI, and then we went next door to the adjacent lot and spent 2 nights doing a shake down.

We found a few issues and they fixed most of them, the garage AC/ heat strip was fixed at a later date.

Thanks to this forum and doing alot of research, we have had very few issues down the road.
Main one was a slide that we had to have fixed.

We are very happy with our Cyclone and we live in it Fulltime

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

sengli

When we bought our landmark, I had been thoroughly schooled in the fine art of RV. During the pdi, which lasted most of a day.
I removed the basement walls, looking for any leaks.... ran water thru everything, climbed on the roof and walked around looking for any issues(brought my own extender ladder). Opened every door, closet, cabinet looked thru them with a flashlight looking for anything like water damage, mice, missing components, etc. Bout the only thing I found, was every P trap on the drains was loose and leaking on all runs. Caulking was in need of touching up pretty much everywhere too. If it didnt pan out the way I wanted...we would have walked on the deal.

Seriously Cw doesnt in my opinion even look at the stock they get in. We looked at a new BH3760 at a local CW. And they had removed the new mattress , and there was a used mattress in the new rig on the lot that was stained and smelled like it had been under a cadaver? Another new toy hauler we looked at , has poo in the toilets. I told the sales guy about the smelly issue.....and he really acted like ...so what do want to buy it or not?

BLR

And Fuel is exclusive to CW..

If I was looking at a shorter TH it would be a torque..
And not buy it at CW

Sent from BLR Logistics

tgtrotter

Yes. Had I done a better PDI I would at minimum seen the roof and not accepted. The other items at the time maybe. I have since researched we should have spent 4 hours to a day under full hook ups and brought some hand tools. HOWEVER CW rushed us, as you have read in others post. CW and HL are the pros dealing on a daily basis. In my business I do not knowingly offer a broken product or service. If it comes up later at my fault or not I replace or remedy. Not offer "too bad you bought it" , or "that's what you get". They should know just as well. AND how does that make any of my manufacturing complaints acceptable..

FB rants at worse are when people start name calling. Having legitimate concerns and posting them is just my opinion just as those who replied at posting their opinion. Dont have to agree but we can have a mature conversation. What I don't understand is how sub par workmanship is somehow the norm and my fault. HL and CW have a responsibility of diligence too.

As this poster read other threads, I have too. The other threads confirmed units have been deluvered that should not have been.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that pretty much all has been said about the OP's problem. So before it gets out of hand I have closed this thread to further discussion.
To the OP please let us know how you make out in the end.

Peace
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.