Antenna Questions

TerribleTim68

Hey gang,
Curious to see what some of you are doing or have done regarding better FM reception. Yes, I'm also aware that a ton of you are gonna say "Just get a XM/Satellite radio", but I don't have the money to swap out the stereo for an XM unit, so let's stick to the FM setups here.

I've read some stuff that says to either replace the antenna with a better one, or to use some funky splitter to pull the FM signal from the TV antenna. What are you guys doing? What works well? Have any of you tried pulling the FM signal from the TV antenna?

My concerns on pulling the FM signal from the TV antenna is that, while I can set that up fairly simply for the main indoor stereo, it probably isn't going to help me with the outdoor unit because I really don't want to have to run a coax somewhere from inside the unit out to the storage compartment to that other unit.

danemayer

If you have internet and Amazon Prime, get an Echo Dot and play away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
If serious I would install standard metal rod FM antenna. Any small rubber duck style have and amp built in that may limit AM reception. The TV antenna is too small for any distant reception not to mention they may actually have a FM trap limiting overload on TV reception and also good FM Signal

I am in the same boat as you. I do like local stations, especially for news and weather or Alerts should bad weather be around.

I do stream local stations on there app now also use the audio channels on my station tv service.

TerribleTim68

I do stream local stations on there app now also use the audio channels on my station tv service.
Yeah, 9 times out of 10 we camp at our family property out on the Washington coast, and there is no service there. We have to drive about 15 minutes up the road just to get a signal. Part of why my wife likes it there, lol!

wdk450

Hey gang,
Curious to see what some of you are doing or have done regarding better FM reception. Yes, I'm also aware that a ton of you are gonna say "Just get a XM/Satellite radio", but I don't have the money to swap out the stereo for an XM unit, so let's stick to the FM setups here.

I've read some stuff that says to either replace the antenna with a better one, or to use some funky splitter to pull the FM signal from the TV antenna. What are you guys doing? What works well? Have any of you tried pulling the FM signal from the TV antenna?

My concerns on pulling the FM signal from the TV antenna is that, while I can set that up fairly simply for the main indoor stereo, it probably isn't going to help me with the outdoor unit because I really don't want to have to run a coax somewhere from inside the unit out to the storage compartment to that other unit.

I don't know what you do for TV reception in the boonies, but you can get a Dish Network basic RV plan pretty inexpensively, and my Dish programming includes all of the 24 hour commercial free Sirius-XM music channels. See:
https://www.dish.com/programming/packages/pay-as-you-go/

BTW, I use the standard home dish antenna on a metal tripod instead of the pricey self aiming dish antennas.

CDN

B and B
BTW, I use the standard home dish antenna on a metal tripod instead of the pricey self aiming dish antennas.[/QUOTE]

Same here as where I camp the trees are always in the way of reception.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The splitter from the TV antenna has worked for us for many years. The OEM radio antenna mounted on the side of a slide broke off the second year we owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddylives

Our previous trailer a 2012 trail runner had the ribbon type antenna
It was tied up in a ball behind the head unit which I found when I pulled it out
Stretching out this antenna was the ticket to improving reception to some degree
Perhaps pulling out the head unit will allow you to see what type antenna is being used now?

TerribleTim68

Perhaps pulling out the head unit will allow you to see what type antenna is being used now?
There are two small black antennas on the roof, maybe 6" tall. They are no bigger than the antennas on my walkie-talkies. I assume one is for the unit n the storage compartment and one is for the unit inside. I also assume there's some sort of cable/wire running to them inside the wall somewhere.