Tire Size for Replacement

Haliday

I am looking to replace the 225x75R15 size tires on our 277 RL with 235X80R16 size. I want to replace the wheels to. Question is how much clearance should there be between the top of the tire and bottom of the camper? What is the minimum space between the two tires?
I am trying to see if there is enough room to go with 16" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

SNOKING

I am looking to replace the 225x75R15 size tires on our 277 RL with 235X80R16 size. I want to replace the wheels to. Question is how much clearance should there be between the top of the tire and bottom of the camper? What is the minimum space between the two tires?
I am trying to see if there is enough room to go with 16" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

From what I see on the web your trailer came with ST225/75R15 LRD tires. Why not just install ST225/75R15 LRE tires like the GY Endurance. At 2830 pounds per tire you would have a 11,320 capacity with the four tires. Trailer has a 9500 GVWR, so 15 LRE tires can handle that easily.

Dexter says minimum distance between tires in 1" You need 3+" above them.

Haliday

I could just replace the tires with the original size but I would like to raise the back back of the camper a couple inches since when towing I'm about 3" high at the nose. Additionally the clear coat on the original rims is flaking off so I thought this would be a good time to replace the wheels.

SNOKING

If this picture is similar to the spacing you have now, then you will be pretty close with ST235/80R16's. Measure the distance between tires on both side with in different conditions(turning, backing, and pulling forward), use the shortest number you come up with. Subtract 2.48 from that distance and if it is greater than 1" then axle spacing it OK. Then start looking at distance above the four tires.

Based on Goodyear's numbers you will loose 2.48" between tires. 30.79-28.31=2.48". The top of your the tire will be 1.24" higher/closer to "things" above it.

If a TT is not level that can be "fixed" at the hitch. When we bought a little TT last August, they had to swap out the insert to an extended drop one.

Attachments

• 277rl tires.jpg
    277rl tires.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 15

Haliday

My camper is a 5th wheel and there is room to elevate the pin box however space between the top rail of the truck bed and bottom of the camper becomes an issue if I take that route.

SNOKING

My camper is a 5th wheel and there is room to elevate the pin box however space between the top rail of the truck bed and bottom of the camper becomes an issue if I take that route.

Well it would help if you filled out a sig line with your trailer information. When I googled 277RL is returned a Outback TT with that model number. So what is the year and brand of your trailer?

danemayer

Well it would help if you filled out a sig line with your trailer information. When I googled 277RL is returned a Outback TT with that model number. So what is the year and brand of your trailer?
Maybe a Sundance 277RL XLT.