Adding Solar. Need to drill actcess hole.

Hello Heartland Toy Hauler owners. I have a 2019 Torque 416. I would like to know if anyone knows where the best place to drill a hole in the roof
for the solar cable can run down thought the roof to the controller? And if any one knows where I can get some blue prints of my coach?
Thanks

danemayer

Hi Bobafett416,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure someone will have some advice for you shortly.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Some times it is easier to pull up the Dicor next to a vent pipe and you can drill it down right next to the pipe. This way you know the wires will go all the way down to the basement plumbing area. then re do the Dicor.

Not sure this will work in your situation.
Hope this helps

Jerrod

LBR

Another idea some have used is to run your wires down a grey tank vent that would work for hooking up your solar equipment.

When you have found a suitable place you want the wires to exit the vent tube, drill a proper sized hole and run a fish up to roof after pulling vent cap off, then fish them into the basement. Tidy up the top vent cap and seal the vent tube where wires exit.

Oregon_Camper

Another idea some have used is to run your wires down a grey tank vent that would work for hooking up your solar equipment.

When you have found a suitable place you want the wires to exit the vent tube, drill a proper sized hole and run a fish up to roof after pulling vent cap off, then fish them into the basement. Tidy up the top vent cap and seal the vent tube where wires exit.

That is exactly how it did mine and I'd do it again and again. So easy...and no extra holes in the roof.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I doubt you can find blue prints but that would be nice. On my 2018 Cyclone 4250 I drilled a 1/2" hole through the roof and ran the cables down the corner of the cabinet by the door. It worked great and went straight to the basement. I did not have to remove any of the underbelly to route wires. the hole is easy to seal and we have had no issues. I would not hesitate to drill a hole in the roof.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Not sure how your planning to make entry through your roof but they now make MC4 Roof connectors specifically for solar going through the roof. AKA Cable Entry Plate
Here is one style made for GP Electric. Amazon and other sell any number of similar styles.
550584-cableentryplate_thumbnail.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Here’s a photo of my install. Drilled a hole beside the vent in front closet. Used a cable cover thingy from Amazon. Dropped the cables down along the vent in the closet
cef945cbcae9279688c5775d95e2ac9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

what mounts are those you used? any issues so far with them? I really like the idea of having a screw like that to be able to easily move panel for maint/issues and to clean etc without having to disturb mounting screws to roof

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
what mounts are those you used? any issues so far with them? I really like the idea of having a screw like that to be able to easily move panel for maint/issues and to clean etc without having to disturb mounting screws to roof

The mounts and hardware were included with the panels. I chose the location on the panel frame for each angle. Each opposing angle mount is attached to the roof with three 1” #12 pan head screws. All sealed with self leveling Dicor. Included with each panel were two pieces of flat stock I can use to tilt each panel. I left enough cabling to tilt them in either direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Routemaster

I am looking drill and drop the solar wire next to this vent this is a straight shot to the solar set up. I took the stat of in the bedroom and took a picture, as you can see a screw going up. Does this screw anchored to the trusses? I was thinking to drilling on the same center line as vent pipe but don't want to drill through the truss, thoughts please.
Den.

Attachments

• Vent pipe.JPG
    Vent pipe.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Drop..JPG
    Drop..JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 28

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Looks like a good rought. Be careful drilling trough the rubber roof. The drill bit will grab it and twist it up. Use a hole punch or razor knife to get through it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk