Replacing a Converter Question

BarbandFrank

I’m getting ready to replace my hybrid AGM batteries to true deep cycle batteries. After reading previous threads it seems as though others have upgraded from the Progressive Dynamics Converter to a Xantrex True Charge product.

My question is - is this (replacing converter) something that I can do myself? Is there anything different about installing a Xantrex as opposed to the Progressive? I’m fairly handy, but I don’t want to mess it up.

Thanks,

Frank

sengli

On my last several RV's, and including the landmark. There are only three connections on the converter. AC in which is just a standard 3 prong plug, plugs into a standard wall socket and the DC out. Sounds easy enough to me to do.

BarbandFrank

On my last several RV's, and including the landmark. There are only three connections on the converter. AC in which is just a standard 3 prong plug, plugs into a standard wall socket and the DC out. Sounds easy enough to me to do.

Thanks sengli!

Frank

Oregon_Camper

Not sure that is actuate. When I removed our converter (Progressive) it was a 3 prong plug, but it was a 20 amp plug, which mean one terminal is twisted (see image)

61blfgRNMPL._SX425_.jpg

danemayer

Your Landmark 365 likely has a Progressive Dynamics 9280. The picture shows the positive and negative connections. On our 2011 Landmark, there are 2 positive wires: 1 goes to the fuse box and the other goes to the batteries by way of a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker near the batteries. On the side not shown in this picture, ours has a bare copper ground wire attached to the case.

090192_1.jpg

Re: Replacing a Converter Question 2015 bighorn 5th wheel 3755fl

Hello. Newbie here. We just bought a used bighorn 5th wheel 3755fl with living space in the front. Our batteries are not charging and we believe it’s a converter issue. I can’t locate in the from battery and wiring hold. I’m not sure what the basement wall is. Can I get some help expertises on where it is. Thanks so much.

danemayer

Re: Replacing a Converter Question 2015 bighorn 5th wheel 3755fl

Hello. Newbie here. We just bought a used bighorn 5th wheel 3755fl with living space in the front. Our batteries are not charging and we believe it’s a converter issue. I can’t locate in the from battery and wiring hold. I’m not sure what the basement wall is. Can I get some help expertises on where it is. Thanks so much.

Before diving into the basement,

1. Make sure all 120V AC electrical devices are working. If only some are working, it's a more general problem.
  2. Check the 120V AC circuit breaker that powers the Converter. It's in the main breaker panel inside.
  3. In your front storage compartment where the batteries are located, make sure both cutoff switches are turned ON.
  4. Locate the row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the batteries. They're covered by a red rubber boot. Usually there are 2 breakers that have thicker wires attached. One of those breakers has a teeny-tiny reset button. If that breaker has tripped, the batteries won't charge. Pushing the reset button will correct the problem. See pictures attached.
  5. If you have auto-leveling, turn on the control panel and cycle it to show voltage. If the reset button restored power to the batteries, it'll read somewhere between 13.2 and 13.6 VDC.
  6. If none of the above helps, you'll have to take down part of the rear wall of the basement pass through storage. Start at the Universal Docking Center (UDC), where your water connections come in. The section of the rear wall near the UDC is held in place by a few screws that can be located using a magnet. There may be 3 screws on the inside of the UDC that go into the edge of the basement wall. Once the wall is down, you can check that the converter plug is still in its outlet. There are 3 on-board blade fuses, usually on the right side of the converter. They'll need to be checked.

We have 2 owner-written guides that may be helpful to you. One is the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide, and the other is the Electrical User Guide. Just click on the highlighted links.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 20