Travel Flagstaff AZ to SaltLake City

billhealy

We are looking for information about roads. Have 2 alternative. First is to take I-40 west to Kingman and then north on Hwy 93. Second is Hwy 89 north. Have heard horror stories about 93. Quote "Most dangerous hwy in US" Hwy 89 has a few bad hills. Driving a Ford 350/diesel/dually and towing 39' Bighorn. Any comments would be welcome. Driving late May 2020. Thanks B&B

Lynn1130

The part of 93 that they are talking about is the section from Wickenburg to I-40. While that is not a great road it is now mostly 4 lane divided so it is not the hazard that it used to be. There are a couple of stretches of 2 lane that are crowded and dangerous. It is not one you need to worry about if you go 40 to Kingman. From there to Las Vegas it is all 4 lane divided. At Las Vegas you can catch I-15 and it is a piece of cake.

If you decide on 89, there is much of it that is 4 lane now but you still have to cut west to catch I-15. Doing that puts you on more 2 lane roads which is going to be slower, unless you plan to hit some of the national parks between Page and I-15. If you are looking for less slow two lane traffic then I-40 to Kingman and 93 north to Las Vegas is a faster route. And you can stop in LV and drop a few hundred before traveling on.

SNOKING

93 from Kingman to Las Vegas is pretty bumpy. I would take 89 up to 20, and take it to I-15. Wahweap at Page is a nice camp ground. Chris

Lynn1130

I would take 89 up to 20

I never recommend taking two lane roads through the Res and while a bunch of that has now been converted to 4 lane or has some decent passing lanes it is still slow, with RV and boat traffic to Powell and local drivers who seldom get over 50 mph :). On the two lane sections there are very narrow shoulders so should you have a problem and have to pull off you will be in the bar-ditch. Top your tanks in Flagstaff so you are not forced to fuel before Page. Fuel can be expensive at some stations. There are a few around Cameron that may have better prices.

While 93 might be bumpy I actually don't recall that being an issue and I travel it fairly often to Vegas. I have to admit I am not pulling a trailer when I do so that could make a difference.

If you do decide to take 89 I suggest you plan time to take 89A and visit as many of the national parks in Utah on the way to I-15. Be aware that there are long "climbs" on either road. One topping out on the Kaibab and the other on the route into Page.

One other issue that came to mind with May and a trip. Check weather reports before taking off on either route but especially 89. There is nothing, and I mean nothing to stop the wind across the Res and it can be a major factor for high profile vehicles.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We’ve traveled 89 from the 160 junction south to flagstaff a few years ago. I don’t remember it as an unacceptable route.
This past April we left the valley in Utah after visiting Zion and Bryce taking 89 all the way to north of Provo. While it’s a 2 lane road why be in a hurry. Very scenic, little traffic until you near SLC area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I never recommend taking two lane roads through the Res and while a bunch of that has now been converted to 4 lane or has some decent passing lanes it is still slow, with RV and boat traffic to Powell and local drivers who seldom get over 50 mph :). On the two lane sections there are very narrow shoulders so should you have a problem and have to pull off you will be in the bar-ditch. Top your tanks in Flagstaff so you are not forced to fuel before Page. Fuel can be expensive at some stations. There are a few around Cameron that may have better prices.

While 93 might be bumpy I actually don't recall that being an issue and I travel it fairly often to Vegas. I have to admit I am not pulling a trailer when I do so that could make a difference.

If you do decide to take 89 I suggest you plan time to take 89A and visit as many of the national parks in Utah on the way to I-15. Be aware that there are long "climbs" on either road. One topping out on the Kaibab and the other on the route into Page.

One other issue that came to mind with May and a trip. Check weather reports before taking off on either route but especially 89. There is nothing, and I mean nothing to stop the wind across the Res and it can be a major factor for high profile vehicles.

Last Oct 3rd we came down 89 from Page and passed thru Cameron around noonish to clear sky's and distance high clouds. That night around 11:30 a rain storm washed at the road at the North end of town. I woman survived driving into the hole in the road, and climbed back onto the road only to be killed by a semi truck.

vdmVte5l.jpg

Lynn1130

While it’s a 2 lane road why be in a hurry

There is no need but when you become one of the 20 vehicles in the line at 50 mph and no one can pass you will begin to see why I mention it. Additionally from 160 north it is a different road. As a very frequent visitor to Lake Powell and Lee's Ferry I spent a lot of time on that road. One trip does not really give a good read on it. April and May start boating season for Powell.

SNOKING

There is no need but when you become one of the 20 vehicles in the line at 50 mph and no one can pass you will begin to see why I mention it. Additionally from 160 north it is a different road. As a very frequent visitor to Lake Powell and Lee's Ferry I spent a lot of time on that road. One trip does not really give a good read on it. April and May start boating season for Powell.

We have been back and forth to Arizona on a lot of different routes. I developed a little saying:

On I-5 help is 20 miles ahead of you or 20 miles behind you.

On 93 and other isolated routes, help might be 100 miles ahead of you or 100 miles behind you!

BTW we will be at Wahweap again this year the first of Oct. Chris

Lynn1130

Sorry for multiple messages here but one thing I should mention. If you decide to take 89 and make the split to 89A south of Page try to find some way to visit the North Rim (Grand Canyon). There is an RV park at Jacob's Lake and you would have to check reviews because I have not stayed there. You will also need to check to see if the North Rim is open. It closes from Oct/Nov to around May. Weather dictates when. I think there is an RV park within the park also but my guess is that one is going to be a case of making reservations way ahead of time.

We take visitors to and recommend the North Rim to anyone who wants to see the Canyon and has the time to make the extra drive. The North Rim is 1000 feet higher in elevation, less developed than the South Rim but does have excellent facilities and has about 1/10th the tourist traffic. If it is open it, like many of the national parks in Utah is a "don't miss" if you gotten that close.

On 93 and other isolated routes, help might be 100 miles ahead of you or 100 miles behind you!

Travelers from back east misjudge the distances in this part of the country. They also misjudge the weather. 40 some visitors from Kansas decided to hike the Superstitions in the afternoon last week and all had to be rescued with some going by way of helicopter to medical facilities.

travelin2

Well I’m likely the one only going 50-55 mph. As I said, why be in a hurry

travelin2

Do you get a lot of one finger waves? That is usually what happens around here :)

LOL! I don’t know. I pay them no mind. Plus they’ll get over it. I’m out to see the country not to run a race...

SNOKING

Do you get a lot of one finger waves? That is usually what happens around here :)

We got passed about 10 miles South of Page and the cell phone rang, and it was friends from Washington and Gold Canyon saying I think we just passed you! We had no idea about their route and they had no idea about ours. Just one of those small World events. Chris

Lynn1130

I pay them no mind. Plus they’ll get over it.

Read C. And it does get enforced by AHP.

28-704. Minimum speed limits; requirement to turn off roadway
A. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when either of the following applies:
1. Reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
2. The reasonable flow of traffic exceeds the maximum safe operating speed of the lawfully operated implement of husbandry.
B. If the director or local authorities within their respective jurisdictions determine on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the director or local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which a person shall not drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
C. If a person is driving a vehicle at a speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place on a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe, and if five or more vehicles are formed in a line behind the vehicle, the person shall turn the vehicle off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the director or a local authority, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following to proceed.