OSH4007

Hello all, my girlfriend and I are new to the RV life so we are looking forward to learning from all of you. We purchased a 2020 Cyclone 4007 and am loving it so far. We are living it while we do portions of a remodel on our house and taking it out for weekend getaways. I will share our experiences as we go and hopefully help other members avoid some of the mistakes we make as we learn how to use our rig.

First question I have for you all... is there a way to use the furnace in the living area without turning on the heater in the bedroom? It seems that the only way I can get the furnace to work is to run it with the bedroom heater.

Thanks
Mike and Sam

danemayer

Hi OSH4007,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You may have more than 1 air conditioner, with a thermostat for each unit. But you have only 1 furnace. It's controlled from only one of your thermostats; usually the bedroom thermostat. So you just have to adjust the set point on that thermostat to make it comfortable in the trailer.

The usual difficulty is that the furnace is usually installed closer to the front of the trailer. The shortest ducts deliver the hottest air, so usually the bedroom and bathroom get more heat than the rest of the trailer. In addition, the bedroom is often higher up than the rest of the trailer - and of course hot air rises. So heat from the living area can migrate to the bedroom.

If there's too much difference between different areas, you may want to use supplemental electric heaters or an electric fireplace to balance things out.

CoveredWagon

I purchased floor registers that I can adjust. I often close off the one in the bathroom and shut down the flow to the bedroom.
Welcome to the HOC these folks are the greatest.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Cyclone. I did the same thing CoveredWagon did. Our furnace is in the middle of our TT, but the bathroom still gets hot.

david-steph2018

Hello all, my girlfriend and I are new to the RV life so we are looking forward to learning from all of you. We purchased a 2020 Cyclone 4007 and am loving it so far. We are living it while we do portions of a remodel on our house and taking it out for weekend getaways. I will share our experiences as we go and hopefully help other members avoid some of the mistakes we make as we learn how to use our rig.

First question I have for you all... is there a way to use the furnace in the living area without turning on the heater in the bedroom? It seems that the only way I can get the furnace to work is to run it with the bedroom heater.

Thanks
Mike and Sam

Congrats on the new unit. We did the same thing for our Road Warrior 427, bought adjustable floor vents and installed in the bathroom and bedroom. It helps some in the living area, but not the garage area. That is about a lost cause.

Last October while having flooring redone in the house we stayed in the Road Warrior at Cardinal Campground. During my birthday week, 17th, we had freezing, rain, snow, ice, hail and sunshine. The nighttime temps got down in the teens, but it was warm in the Road Warrior.
Waking up and seeing ice hanging off the trees, burrrrrrrrrrrr.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Welcome to the forum!! It looks like others have answered your question.

Hopefully you will consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and coming to a rally or two next year or even later this year

Rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OSH4007

Hi OSH4007,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You may have more than 1 air conditioner, with a thermostat for each unit. But you have only 1 furnace. It's controlled from only one of your thermostats; usually the bedroom thermostat. So you just have to adjust the set point on that thermostat to make it comfortable in the trailer.

The usual difficulty is that the furnace is usually installed closer to the front of the trailer. The shortest ducts deliver the hottest air, so usually the bedroom and bathroom get more heat than the rest of the trailer. In addition, the bedroom is often higher up than the rest of the trailer - and of course hot air rises. So heat from the living area can migrate to the bedroom.

If there's too much difference between different areas, you may want to use supplemental electric heaters or an electric fireplace to balance things out.

Hi danemayer,

Thanks for your response and welcome to the forum. In my trailer we have 3 separate heatpumps/ac units. 1 in the master bedroom, 1 in the living area and 1 in the garage/second bedroom. The furnace is in the living room area which is nice because most of the hot air gets put out in the middle of the trailer. The garage only has 1 vent so I will be using a space heater in that area to keep the temps warmer.

The big issue I am trying to sort out is running the furnace without having to run the heatpump in the master bedroom. The heatpump is loud and I dont want it kicking in at night when we are sleeping. I may need to call Heartland and see if there is a solution. Logic would tell me that I should be able to run the furnace separately but I can figure it out.

Thanks
Mike

OSH4007

Welcome to the forum!! It looks like others have answered your question.

Hopefully you will consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and coming to a rally or two next year or even later this year

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Where in Washington are you? We are in North Bend. A rally sounds like it could be fun, where do I find the info on it?

Mike

OSH4007

I purchased floor registers that I can adjust. I often close off the one in the bathroom and shut down the flow to the bedroom.
Welcome to the HOC these folks are the greatest.

Thanks, Ill look into the floor registers. Our furnace is in the living room area so the middle of the rig stays pretty warm, the only area that suffers is the garage. Ill use a space heater in there.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the new unit. We did the same thing for our Road Warrior 427, bought adjustable floor vents and installed in the bathroom and bedroom. It helps some in the living area, but not the garage area. That is about a lost cause.

Last October while having flooring redone in the house we stayed in the Road Warrior at Cardinal Campground. During my birthday week, 17th, we had freezing, rain, snow, ice, hail and sunshine. The nighttime temps got down in the teens, but it was warm in the Road Warrior.
Waking up and seeing ice hanging off the trees, burrrrrrrrrrrr.

Glad to hear your rig stayed warm in those harsh conditions!! Gives me more confidence in making it through the winter, especially because its not nearly as cold in our part of the world.

Mike

danemayer

Hi danemayer,

The big issue I am trying to sort out is running the furnace without having to run the heatpump in the master bedroom. The heatpump is loud and I dont want it kicking in at night when we are sleeping. I may need to call Heartland and see if there is a solution. Logic would tell me that I should be able to run the furnace separately but I can figure it out.

Thanks
Mike
Mike,

The Dometic Comfort Control II thermostat should have separate HP (Heatpump) mode, and FURNACE mode. As you cycle the thermostat through the modes, if you see AQUA, that's the same as FURNACE. If it displays AQUA, press the up and down arrows at the same time so it displays FURNACE instead of AQUA.

OSH4007

Mike,

The Dometic Comfort Control II thermostat should have separate HP (Heatpump) mode, and FURNACE mode. As you cycle the thermostat through the modes, if you see AQUA, that's the same as FURNACE. If it displays AQUA, press the up and down arrows at the same time so it displays FURNACE instead of AQUA.

I will try that. If I remember correctly I only see 3 options on the display. Fan, A/C and Heat. Ill look tonight when I get home and see if the control in the living room has different options.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Where in Washington are you? We are in North Bend. A rally sounds like it could be fun, where do I find the info on it?

Mike

We are in Olympia. If you look on the events tab you will find them all. You have to join the Heartland Owners Club to attend some of them, but it’s free to join. Let me know if you need any help.

Rod

OSH4007

Mike,

Quick update, I tried your suggestion and it did not work the only thing that happens when you push both up and down arrows at the same time is it changes the setting from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Im going to put a call into Heartland directly to see if I can get an answer.

Ill let you all know what I find out.
Mike

danemayer

Quick update, I tried your suggestion and it did not work the only thing that happens when you push both up and down arrows at the same time is it changes the setting from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Im going to put a call into Heartland directly to see if I can get an answer.

Ill let you all know what I find out.
Mike
UP/DOWN would be if in AQUA mode to change the language so it reads FURNACE.

If you don't have a HEAT or FURNACE mode, I would say that either 1) this is not the thermostat that controls the furnace, or 2) it's not configured correctly, or 3) the wiring is not correct.

But I'm also wondering if it needs power from the fuse box in order to show the furnace mode. Check the main fuse box to see if maybe a fuse is blown.

OSH4007

UP/DOWN would be if in AQUA mode to change the language so it reads FURNACE.

If you don't have a HEAT or FURNACE mode, I would say that either 1) this is not the thermostat that controls the furnace, or 2) it's not configured correctly, or 3) the wiring is not correct.

But I'm also wondering if it needs power from the fuse box in order to show the furnace mode. Check the main fuse box to see if maybe a fuse is blown.

This is the thermostat in the livingroom/kitchen. As you see I have it set to furnace but the furnace will not actually turn on until I turn the thermostat in the bedroom to furnace which then turns the front HP on. I dont want to have to run both, especially at night when we are trying to sleep.

15684202395564314590443841320596.jpg

danemayer

This is the thermostat in the livingroom/kitchen. As you see I have it set to furnace but the furnace will not actually turn on until I turn the thermostat in the bedroom to furnace which then turns the front HP on. I dont want to have to run both, especially at night when we are trying to sleep.

View attachment 62815

That appears to be the Dometic Capacitive Touch Thermostat.

Are you saying both the living room and bedroom thermostats can be cycled to FURNACE mode, and that when you do that, the bedroom Heat Pump runs?

OSH4007

That appears to be the Dometic Capacitive Touch Thermostat.

Are you saying both the living room and bedroom thermostats can be cycled to FURNACE mode, and that when you do that, the bedroom Heat Pump runs?

Yes exactly. Id like to just run the furnace by itself.

danemayer

Based on the manual, I think this thermostat is supposed to have separate modes for FURNACE and HEAT PUMP. So...if the bedroom thermostat is showing FURNACE, it should be running the furnace, not the heat pump.

If that's actually the case, you're probably going to have to have your dealer tear into it to figure out what's going on.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Long ago, I replaced the always open OEM floor registers with adjustable ones since the bedroom and bathroom would cook meat while the rest of the coach could store it. It has not caused the furnace to blow up or the rig to go up in flames. If you look at how the air is distributed in the furnace, closing or restricting the shorter duct runs only forces the air down the longer runs to the rear. The admonition by Suburban to not close off vents applies to the plenum itself and is a CYA for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk