Glacier National Park

cgaskins

Hello fellow Heartlanders!

We are planning a trip from Texas to Glacier National Park next summer and I have some questions for those of you that have made that journey...

1. What is the best month in the summer to visit Glacier? I was thinking Late July / early August.
  2. We are hoping to stay in the West Glacier KOA. Any other recommendations on the west side? Ideally we would rather have large sites and less neighbors than fancy amenities - full hookups are a must.
  3. How long should we plan on staying in Glacier? Based on our our route and timing, we could easily spend 5 nights but I am not sure if that too many days for that park....

Thanks
Chris

RoadJunkie

Late July, early August is good. This year Sun Road wasn’t open until mid June. West Glacier KOA is an awesome, albeit expensive way to go. A couple of years ago the park was named the best KOA in the country. It offers a family pool and adult pool, restaurant, ice cream shop, etc, and the grounds are very nice. I would ask for the newer area on the East side. Five days should be fine, expect crowded conditions, and be sure you make time to visit Whitefish.

Piperflyer

I would plan to visit the park in July as summer dryness could lead to fires in August. Schedule taking the all day Red Bus Tour to Going to the Sun Road. Don't drive yourself! I would ride to Polebridge for a day. Hungry Horse Reservoir is interesting.
The W. Glacier KOA is one of the nicest to stay in. Pricey, but they all are in Glacier. If you find a park with few neighbors and large sites let me know.
There is a lot to do in the glacier area, so depending on what you like to do would depend on how long you stay. Most important thing to do is make your reservations early in the year, as things fill up real fast the closer to summer.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
we plan on being their Sept 10 to the 16th well that be OK?

Maybe, maybe not!!
Been years that a trip to Logan Pass would be out of the question...SNOW or forest fires. The weather has been exceptional this year.
Otherwise the valley attractions should be great!

Full disclosure, our youngest son lives in Columbia Falls and works for the USFS so we follow the weather and local conditions closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would plan to visit the park in July as summer dryness could lead to fires in August. Schedule taking the all day Red Bus Tour to Going to the Sun Road. Don't drive yourself! I would ride to Polebridge for a day. Hungry Horse Reservoir is interesting.

Why do you say "Don't Drive Yourself" ??

Piperflyer

The driver will not get the benefit of all the beautiful scenery on the Road to the Sun. This isn't the best of road to be driving and rubber necking on. There is no taking your eyes off the road while driving here.

travelin2

The driver will not get the benefit of all the beautiful scenery on the Road to the Sun. This isn't the best of road to be driving and rubber necking on. There is no taking your eyes off the road while driving here.

What Piper says. Plus sections are really tight for any truck especially a dually. Additionally parking is a premium. If you want to park at the visitor center up on Logan pass be there at sunrise

travelin2

A couple pictures...Glacier NP, Lake Macdonald 11.2.19
2c6cbcad334bff51a4b2f6f0cf3b4f39.jpg
676e42d0ab830e23e1b3103ea143a09c.jpg
938526cc7105dcce67c1a9937696db10.jpg

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Hey Lyle, what's all that white stuff on the ground? We were at Glacier in September a couple of years ago. If we had scheduled the red bus tour on Wednesday, we would have be alright. We scheduled for Thursday and Wednesday night it snowed so we were unable to make it all the way up to Logan's Pass. Still a whole lot of beautiful sights to see.

travelin2

Hey Lyle, what's all that white stuff on the ground? We were at Glacier in September a couple of years ago. If we had scheduled the red bus tour on Wednesday, we would have be alright. We scheduled for Thursday and Wednesday night it snowed so we were unable to make it all the way up to Logan's Pass. Still a whole lot of beautiful sights to see.

Visiting son. Lives in Columbia Falls. BH back in PA. Last 150 miles prior to our arrival last Monday...
d720ecfd10de55a7faf9dd29b72189ae.jpg

Average morning lows, single digits. Finally cracked freezing on Friday!!! Geez...