GFI won’t reset - camping now need help please

rpoplin

We have a 2019 North Trail and upon setup today none of our outlets are working. The gfi in the bathroom trips as quick as I reset it. Nothing is plugged in. My EMS shows E0 and everything works but outlets.
We are on the coast and need advice / suggestions please.

danemayer

Look at the outlets in the bathroom, kitchen, and outside. All are probably on the same GFI circuit and if one of them has gotten wet, that could do it.

If you don't find anything, switch off the circuit breaker that supplies power to the GFI outlet, or unplug the trailer from the power pedestal. Remove the cover plate and pull it away from the wall so you can inspect the wires on the back side. If press-in wires, you might want to use pliers to make sure the wires are fully inserted.

Again, do this with the power off.

rpoplin

The red light is on the GFI plug and every works except the plugs with GFI sticker on them.
This morning I’ll try removing the plug and making sure the wires are fine inside. If not I’ll get a new GFI and replace it as I’m thinking the plug itself might be the issue.

Thanks for for your tip. I’ll report back after try that.

rpoplin

GFCI issue

I have a 2019 North Trail that I purchased in July. After 2 successful trip and using an external Progressive EMS, I decided to use a hardwired unit. This was install and my very next trip my GFCI I. The bathroom wasn’t resetting. Progressive Industries felt that it might be a defective unit, so they sent me a new one and I swapped it out. The problem still persisted. I called Heartland and was told it might be a bad GFCI. This was replaced and the problem still persist. Today, I had a mobile repair company check all the electrical outlets for a possible bad ground and they found a couple of bad wire cuts. This was fixed but still the GCCI won’t reset. We then tried a 3rd GFCI and same results. The technician called and was told the only way to reset the GFCI was to hook the trailer up to a minimum of 30amps. It’s currently in Storage hooked up to a 110v on 20amps.

Can anyone verify this is correct it give me some suggestions. The Progressive hardwired unit has been removed but again nothing is fixing the issue. We plan to take the trailer on a 10 day trip for a Thanksgiving but I don’t want to take if outlets aren’t working. Only the 6 outlets on the GFCI circuit suffer from this. The GFCI was bypassed and all outlets checked out normal with no issues. The repair company said I need to take trailer somewhere to hook up to 30-50amps to continue troubleshooting or reset GFCI.

Again, any help or feedback appreciated.

danemayer

I've merged your new thread with the older one on this same issue.

If you're plugged into a home GFCI outlet/circuit, I'd suggest you read this article.

dykesj11

It’s possible that there actually is a ground fault. It doesn’t require much current at all (4-5 mA) to trip the GFCI. With a minimal ground fault and without the GFCI in the circuit, your other outlets could appear to work fine. Here’s how to check: Turn off the electricity and disconnect anything connected to outlets on the GFCI circuit. With a multimeter on the lowest ohms setting, touch one lead to a ground and touch the other lead to each wire of the circuit. Any reading other than infinity is a problem. If that’s the case, you’ll need to remove one outlet at a time until you have infinity on the meter and identified the faulty outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dykesj11

BTW, another option for checking is to leave the GFCI in and remove one outlet at a time until the GFCI remains set.

An assumption I made is that you removed anything connected to any of the outlets in the circuit. The ground fault can be anywhere in the wiring, outlets or any item connected to the outlets. So if you haven’t done this already, the first thing is to unplug anything along the line and then try the reset. You might get lucky and problem was something plugged in.

rpoplin

The mobile technician started at the GFCI and removed every outlet after. The GFCI was tripping by itself. As mentioned, we used 3 different outlets to test and same results.
I am baffled and frustrated because I paid for 4 hours of diagnostics and we are no closer to solving the problem.

BTW, another option for checking is to leave the GFCI in and remove one outlet at a time until the GFCI remains set.

An assumption I made is that you removed anything connected to any of the outlets in the circuit. The ground fault can be anywhere in the wiring, outlets or any item connected to the outlets. So if you haven’t done this already, the first thing is to unplug anything along the line and then try the reset. You might get lucky and problem was something plugged in.