Smart Plug

danemayer

Installed my Smart Plug today.
776ddb28e5afd74808b976f55ce7887f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Dan - is that AC power or low-voltage stuff?

If AC power, are you running SmartPlug connectors at both ends?

danemayer

Dan - is that AC power or low-voltage stuff?

If AC power, are you running SmartPlug connectors at both ends?

It's 240V AC to a manual transfer switch that switches the house between utility and generator power. We got a 10,000 Watt Dual Fuel Generator 2 years ago in case we have an extended power outage in the winter. It runs off the propane supply to the house.

An extended power outage doesn't happen very often, but people still talk about the year with a 6' snow dump where power was out for 5 days.

When the electrician originally installed the transfer switch and receptacle, he (and the people at the electrical supply store) couldn't find a wall mount male plug and said there was no such thing. So he installed a standard 14-50R receptacle. He declined to build the cord from the generator to the wall receptacle because with 2 male plugs (14-50P on each end) it's what's affectionately referred to as a "suicide cord". So I built the cord and handled it appropriately. Also put warning signs on it.

I picked up the SmartPlug set in Goshen last June. The trailer end is mounted on the wall and the cord end is on the cord that comes from the genny.

So now I don't have to worry about someone other than myself handling the power cord.

jbeletti

Nice Dan.

I plan to pickup a second 50A SmartPlug receptacle for the RV so I have a power inlet at the front and rear (both actually on the side wall). Rather than use a transfer switch, I plan to use a box with two double-pole 50A breaker sets. One will always remain off. So while there is still the possibility both power inlets could be hot at the same time, I just need to be diligent in my use of the breakers.

I haven't procured anything yet - so I could change my mind on the design.

danemayer

Reliance Controls makes a bunch of manual transfer switches (with interlocks) for various loads. I think I called them to discuss which model would be most appropriate. Each model comes pre-wired with appropriate breakers. They may have one for less than $100.

danemayer

avvidclif

He was right. He wires it the way you wanted and something happens, guess who's responsible. And he could lose his license.