Inverter testing?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Does anyone know of a test I can do on my inverter? It will not stay on for long periods of time. I've had several folks tell me they leave their inverter on all the time just in case shore power goes out. I cannot do that. If I leave mine on for more than a day or two, the inverter shuts off. When that happens the next time I travel (within a couple of days) the inverter will shut off while traveling. As an example, on our last outing to the NC HOC rally this past week -- for the weeks leading up to the rally we had the camper on shore power here at home with the inverter off, when we traveled to Fayetteville for the rally, we turned on the inverter just before disconnecting from shore power. Inverter stayed on the entire 4 hour trip. We left the inverter on while on shore power at the campground. Some time while at the campground, the inverter shut off. Turned it back on just before we unplugged from shore power. While on our way home (about half way through the 4 hour trip) the inverter shut off. I reset it, but it shut off again before we got home. This is a common thread. We traveled all over the mid-west for 6 weeks this summer (including the National Rally in Goshen) without an inverter problem because I would turn it off when we got to a campground and turn it back on before traveling.

Any thoughts?? My dealer put in a new transfer switch this spring saying if it would shut off during both 120 and 12 volt power, it must be the transfer switch. Well, it clearly is not. So I'm looking for some kind of test before I spend the money on a new inverter.

danemayer

Hi Keith,

The bottom of the inverter has a display that shows error codes. Checking for error codes after it shuts down might shed some light on the cause. You might have to temporarily re-mount the inverter to make it easier to read the codes.

Magnum Inverter error display.jpgMagnum Inverter error codes.jpg